Five criteria EDC

surferx

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to choose a pocketable LED EDC as well. Based on just a couple months use of a 4.5" tactical Quark and a PD32ue, came up with five hard criteria, everything else flexible:

1) 3-4" (75-100mm)
2) Three modes: ~10, ~50, ~150 lumens
3) Modes reached through clicky
4) AA or 16340 (rCR123) battery
5) <$100

EagleTac D25C voltage range is 0.8-3.2V, so I don't think 16340 is compatible. So far, Quark Pro QPLC comes closest, though a twist is required for high.

Zebra SC80W (0.7-4.2V) and SC51W (0.7-2.5V) both run on AA, but low is 2 lumens, otherwise OK.

Fenix PD22 also meets my criteria, though I haven't yet googled CPF to find out if it is compatible with 16340 and if lumen output is reduced using this battery.

Thrunite Neutron flood (discontinued?) meets criteria, haven't yet googled CPF to find out if lumen output is reduced using 16340. Thrunite Neutron 1C also seems to meet criteria, but I haven't yet googled CPF to find out if it accepts 16340.

Lumapower LM33 using 16340 provides 5, 120, 250 lumens with 16340, so steps not what I'm looking for. They have an LM31 AA battery model, but not sure of mode steps - similar?

Crelant V31A accepts 16340 (0.8-4.2V) with steps of 13, 128, 450 lumens using primary CR123a, haven't yet googled CPF to find out if 16340 lowers any of these outputs.

The Nitecore EC1 fits my criteria, but quality control (over heating, programming loss, water infiltration) has scared me off.

Novatac 120E same.

Sunwayman C15A (parasitic battery loss?) and 3 lumen low (as does their C10R)

Armytek Smart C1 takes 16340, still researching modes

Olight i1 - don't yet know if it takes 16340, and low is 4 lumens

I've looked at 36 different models so far, but these come closest to what I'm looking for.

Recommendations welcome!

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the zebralight sc80w. It very versatile with batteries as it can take all sorts of sizes and types from alkaline AA to rechargeable cr123. Really nice interface and with the neutral xpg, the tint makes everything look soooo nice. I have an H51w and I use it more than any of my other lights.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You didn't specify a beam profile, and, without that, the lumen outputs are probably not relevant.

It make an ENORMOUS difference in how the lumens are spread out to create lux on targets. If you have a 100 lumen light with a fairly tight beam, you can't read with it, as it will glare too much. If you have a 100 lumen light with a floody beam, you can read with it for a while, before you get eye strain from it being too dim, and so forth.

----

Generally, an RCR123 will be BRIGHTER than a CR123 in most lights if there's a difference. I know of none that would be dimmer. Essentially, 3.7 v from the RCR makes it brighter than the 3.0 v from the CR123.

That means that from your list above, the Crelant V31A might be the ticket.

If you use a 14500 instead of an AA battery, some at the top of your list may also work out well.

Again, NO lights are dimmer on rechargeable lithium ion cells than on primaries: if there is a difference, the rechargeables will run the light brighter, as the 3.7 v for the rechargeable chemistry can make them brighter than the 3.0 v CR or 1.2 v Nimh/Alka-leaks, etc.

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
The Eagletac D25C Ti CLicky 2013 model supports 16340's (regulated on all modes) afaik. The earlier models do too, but only on direct drive.

Otherwise a Zebralight SC52 is a very obvious choice right now, great light and fits your criteria.

As for the SC80w, in my opinion the double battery option is not a huge advantage. It makes the light too thick for an AA light and too long for a 16340/CR123 light.

I'm currently edc-ing 2 - 4 lights at a time (don't ask...) and the Zebralight SC52 and eagletac D25A Ti Clicky with XP-G2 are usually with me (lot's of pocket space and even more darkness in the winter). Couldn't choose between them. The SC52 lights up everything on 14500's and the D25A on lithium primaries works perfect with quite a lot of throw which is nicer in the snow. Also lithiums work much better in sub zero, so I reach for one of them dependingon conditions.

Last edited:

surferx

Newly Enlightened
Teej, thanks for RCR vs CR123 info, this removes one of my concerns, clearly overwhelmed with all the choices. Trying to track the basics, I have been monitoring flashlight voltage ranges for 14500 and 16340 use.

Beam profile - it was my impression that a throwy beam is somewhat defeated by the power available in this battery class and size of heat sink. With the three lumen modes I thought I could find a hotspot or spill area useful for my EDC purposes.

Last edited:

surferx

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the zebralight sc80w. It very versatile with batteries as it can take all sorts of sizes and types from alkaline AA to rechargeable cr123. Really nice interface and with the neutral xpg, the tint makes everything look soooo nice. I have an H51w and I use it more than any of my other lights.

Right, 0.7-4.2V range, 82 mm look great, my concern is with the 2 lumen low. I use a 9 lumen low now, and find it useful for lighting dark roads on walks. Is the 2 lumens of your H51w enough for this kind of use?

surferx

Newly Enlightened
The Eagletac D25C Ti CLicky 2013 model supports 16340's (regulated on all modes) afaik. The earlier models do too, but only on direct drive.

Otherwise a Zebralight SC52 is a very obvious choice right now, great light and fits your criteria.

As for the SC80w, in my opinion the double battery option is not a huge advantage. It makes the light too thick for an AA light and too long for a 16340/CR123 light.

I'm currently edc-ing 2 - 4 lights at a time (don't ask...) and the Zebralight SC52 and eagletac D25A Ti Clicky with XP-G2 are usually with me (lot's of pocket space and even more darkness in the winter). Couldn't choose between them. The SC52 lights up everything on 14500's and the D25A on lithium primaries works perfect with quite a lot of throw which is nicer in the snow. Also lithiums work much better in sub zero, so I reach for one of them dependingon conditions.

Great info, thanks!

surferx

Newly Enlightened
You seem to be doing a good job on your own so i will leave you to it.

Once took a motorcycle trip to Northern Wales, everything got wet. Since I'm often at the beach, are there any EDC lights you would caution against exposing to rain or splashing water?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once took a motorcycle trip to Northern Wales, everything got wet. Since I'm often at the beach, are there any EDC lights you would caution against exposing to rain or splashing water?

Most good lights adhere to IP-8 standards with regards water proofing,would double check your chosen buy does.
If you ever get to North Wales again let me know and I will treat you to a nice cold beer.

surferx

Newly Enlightened

I checked eagletac website,
D25C clicky Ti runs on RCR123A Li ion in direct drive.
D25A Clicky Ti can run on 14500 Li ion, but in direct drive as well. AA still looks good, though.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, 0.7-4.2V range, 82 mm look great, my concern is with the 2 lumen low. I use a 9 lumen low now, and find it useful for lighting dark roads on walks. Is the 2 lumens of your H51w enough for this kind of use?

It's not bright enough for walks but it is extremely useful when doing up close work in complete darkness like camping or reading maps on night hikes, if that's your thing. It allows me to do things right in front of me while not killing my night adapted vision. I find that medium is perfect for seeing 20 to 25 ft ahead of me on hikes or cooking at a bbq pit at night in the city where there's a lot of ambient lighting around.

surferx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again everyone for your experienced advice, it helped me narrow down to four flashlights, one of which wasn't on original list (D25C Ti clicky), and Crelant V31A, which moved up considerably.

Yesterday came across a tiny prototype 18650 (that may be 85mm or ~3.25" by 26mm fat) in the Dealers Corner. Flashlight by CN Qual Goods, DQG18650.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...G-18650-EDC-World-s-Smallest-18650-Flashlight

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I checked eagletac website,
D25C clicky Ti runs on RCR123A Li ion in direct drive.
D25A Clicky Ti can run on 14500 Li ion, but in direct drive as well. AA still looks good, though.

Their website has never been the best at distributing the correct info on their specific lights, but the 2013 model of the D25A Clicky Ti (mine's in XP-G2) definitely runs regulated on 14500's. I would be very surprised if the D25C Clicky Ti wouldn't have the same behavior.
The 2012 models (the original Ti Clicky) only run li-ions in direct drive.

Lots of info in the dedicated thread around here, starting at post #370: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ac-Clicky-Ti&p=4078303&viewfull=1#post4078303

Last edited:

surferx

Newly Enlightened
Purchased Eagletac 2013 DC25A Clicky Ti XP-G2 cool white before the 49ers lost the Super Bowl, so it was a rational decision. Mostly.

Don't know if my criteria make sense to anyone else, but what tipped the scales in favor of the DC25A were:

* lumen steps of 8, 75 and 122. There are reasons to pack 450 lumens in a pocket, but I don't need them there. I work in a biotech lab, and don't need to blind perps, even though I bicycle the length of San Francisco's 3rd street. I can walk the chiweenie using 8 lumens until she does her business, then I need the 75 lumens to find it. 122 lumens allow me to scan bushes for coyotes.
* size 87 x 17 mm
* AA battery
* the keys in my pocket won't chew an anodized finish

Second choice was Crelant V31A based on lumen steps. It seems a little chubby. Don't need the 450 lumen high, have that in another light
Third choice was FourSevens Q Pro QPLC. Low is 4 lumens, not sure if that would be sufficient for walking on the mountain. Shorter run time on high (48 min vs 78 min)
Fourth was ZebraLight SC52. Really liked how short this one was, but the lumen steps (what I'm primarily buying a light for, 2.7, 50 and 172) missed one of the most important steps for me, walking in darkness using an adequate, but still low, light level. I did like its medium and high.

Since I've now bought the EDC, I suppose this is the "thread killer" posting, so thank you TweakMDS, Badtziscool, mcnair55 and TEEJ for sharing with me the light.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
In before it dies: great choice :)
Together with the ZL SC52, I do believe this is the best 1xAA light at the moment. By the way, if you turn it on with the head loosened and tighten + loosen 3 times, the low becomes moonlight and the middle lumen also drops.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the new (coming very soon) Malkoff EDC, it doesn't take the RCR123A's but it can use the LiFePO4's rechargeable batteries.

The main difference with your criteria is the low mode, which it doesn't have. But then you cover that with your 1xAAA key-chain backup! On the plus side, it has a strobe/signal mode, which could save your life, something the 10 lumen low couldn't do!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite neutrons are still being sold on eBay, Thrunite store and hkequipment as far as I know. There being replaced with the Archer series, an xpg2 led so less bright but more throw for the size. I've ordered one but hasn't arrived yet.

the Eagletac D25 series are a great choice, the UI is what a few people complain about but all in all there incredible lights.

I like the Zebralight Sc52 but its more light than you need, they suggest not using alkalines at all on turbo. So unless you like using Nimh, energizer lithiums or 14500's I wouldn't suggest it for you. The Sc80 is more up your alley

surferx

Newly Enlightened
Received the D25A Ti today, popped in an old Energizer NiMH 2600mAh battery, and took it on the dog walk tonight. The D25A modes are perfect for my uses, a great recommendation. Low is great for walking on unlit streets, medium perfect for finding the little dog poop, and high lights up the forest canyon single track descent home. Impressive. These modes compare very well to the much larger PD32UE. While I prefer the light color of the PD (browns richer and has larger hotspot), and sometimes need the greater intensity, the size of the D25ATi allows every day carry so that I can see what I otherwise would not. I will continue to pick up the Fenix when I know I will need it.