Flashlight that wouldn't break

Egsise

Banned
HDS, must be some kind of record, 40$ for international shipping!

Has anyone done tests how CR123's are affected by cold weather?

hotlight

Enlightened
HDS, must be some kind of record, 40$ for international shipping!

Has anyone done tests how CR123's are affected by cold weather?

that probably is a record.....
in the US is $15 I believe via HDS site.

ordered from goinggear and got free shipping in US...they do ship internationally via USPS(probably can arrange a different method if you ask)

don't let shipping fees stop yourself from getting such a great light(TOOL).

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
I was watching the Ra, and i calculated the price on it+shipping... omg
I hate Norway for this!!! I have to pay about 94$ extra in taxes and all that, the price will be 276 $! + some extra, about 40 $ the post office want.

Well, my country don't want the inhabitants to order international. Now i just hope that my local dealer will get the Ra, and then i can buy it from him..

Norway, the monopoly state!

Last edited:

Egsise

Banned
Fenix TK11 is cheap?
I find it hard to believe that other than 250$ flashlight works at extreme temperatures.
-40 isn't even extreme....cars and everything else still works at that temperature.

Ziemas

Enlightened
Fenix TK11 is cheap?
I find it hard to believe that other than 250$ flashlight works at extreme temperatures.
-40 isn't even extreme....cars and everything else still works at that temperature.
I'm in Latvia and have used both Fenix and SolarForce lights while winter cycling in temps down to -32 with no problems. I suspect your problems are how you treat your lights, not the temps which they are used in.

FWIW, I've also dropped my Fenix LD2 whilst biking at 30km/h over railroad tracks and aside from a few scratches it is perfectly fine.

MWClint

Enlightened
Being that cold, i'd say you definitly want a light that has fully potted electronics. hot and cold cycling could cause condensation on
the electronics in an unpotted scenario. also clicky switches and extreme cold
dont fare too well.. the plastic in the switches gets brittle. stick with twisties.

I'd go with a Ra Twisty(RCR/CR123a) and a Peak El Capitan (AA/14500).
then you'll have both batt formats covered. wouldnt hurt to get the
Ra 18650 tube as well.

Egsise

Banned
I'll test how cold my freezer gets and do the AA and 18650 tests again, i have no good quality CR123's so I'll test only energizer AA lithiums.

Moisture condensation could be one reason for breakdowns, but there should be a lot of it before it would brake things..
And traces of water would be visible of course, i guess there were non?

2nd4ever

Newly Enlightened
For brute abuse the plastic-hulled, rubber-headed Pelican Super Sabers have served me well for many years. You can't kill 'em, least I haven't even dropping one 40' to a boat deck, losing another a foot of bilge water then 11 months later discovering it during a clean-out and just replacing the batteries.

Being non-metal, condensation shouldn't be an issue but there are negatives: 3xCs make it biggish, the twist of the rubber head is a hernia-inducing two-hander, and there are absolutely no bells and whistles. Simple, cheap, a really good work light with a really good work clip.

The incandescent Supers I use aren't made any more but the current model '2010 LED' should be just as tough and much more stingy.

Gotta say other Pelican lights I've had, both big and small, quickly failed quality-wise even under just light use - but this one specific model rocks.

Last edited: