Got Jet 3 Military today, pics

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Why does the Pro look so much brighter than the Military?
The label for the Pro says "Custom 100%" and the label for the Military says "High". are these the highest settings for each light?
You have to keep in mind that the Jet III Pro driver is optimized for a 4.2v 18650 While the Jet III Military is able to run RCRs and 18650s. So the Military shouldn't reach full brightness until its running on 2XRCR123s.
However I don't have one....Yet:devil:

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
You have to keep in mind that the Jet III Pro driver is optimized for a 4.2v 18650 While the Jet III Military is able to run RCRs and 18650s. So the Military shouldn't reach full brightness until its running on 2XRCR123s.

2nd that...

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

shomie911

Enlightened
You're right !
The PRO IBS IS BRIGHTER than the M Series!
Eric - Citivolus - did some tests and he got 6500 lux from the M and 9100 from the PRO IBS, both with OP reflectors.
It seems that the M series is driven not so hard, so the longer runtime on 18650 - 3hrs instead of 1.5hrs - is explained.
Strange conception for a MILITARY purpose : less bright but longer runtime. I thought that the SWAT teams want brighter lights , no matter the runtime.

Well, SWAT teams aren't military, they're Law Enforcement.

A law enforcement officer can go back to the station and grab a fistful of CR123a batteries while a military soldier has to make due with what he has in the field for relatively longer periods than a SWAT team member.

So military personel would undoubtedly appreciate long runtimes, gives them one less thing to worry about, battery changes.

GeneralTsao

Banned

A law enforcement officer can go back to the station and grab a fistful of CR123a batteries while a military soldier has to make due with what he has in the field for relatively longer periods than a SWAT team member.

So military personel would undoubtedly appreciate long runtimes, gives them one less thing to worry about, battery changes.

It should be a nice light for all outdoor enthusiasts as well as flashlight hobbists. This again depends on the perception and the usage given to the light, M6, M3 or M2 have shorter runtimes and they are still considered military lights. A flashlight doesn't have to be hardcore military grade to be used by the military, if you type in "military flashlight" in google you will most likely find the angle head which is not considered a high speed light by any means but is the most widely used.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't a single standard for the US military - the Fulton angle-head flashlight was the most common and is still in the inventory, but I haven't seen on actually used.

-Trevor

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened

The Jetbeam Military has 2 modes so the user can program the 2nd mode to be anything between 2 - 220 lumen. If runtime is an issue then just back it off to 75% of max. Then user will have the best of both worlds. By the way, most weapon mounted lights that we've seen used by US military have way less runtime than 1.5 hours (SF M900,M500A, Shotgun Forends, etc...). This light was simply designed with the KISS principle and may not be for everyone.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

fineday

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to say some words about the output level ot these two lights. After all, the higher the brightness, the larger the current. As far as I know, Pro IBS drives its LED with a current of 1.2Amp under the 100% brightness, while Cree only approves the maximun driving current as 1Amp. So there would be some danger for LED when drived by such a high current if any cooling problem occurs. However of course many civilian users(at least Easterners) demand brightness much more than stability, they will accept a flashlight even it would become dim soon due to the frightening driving current, only 'cozing of the max output level is higher than others. In such a condition, products for civilian usage will more or less put their prime effort on how to accomplish the high current and then secondly control the failure rate in a reasonable range under that case.

As far as I know, the goal while designing the Military edition are stability, reliability and the user-friendly, in another word, they want this light to work under any condition. So they won't risk the LED's life trying to drive them under that high current anymore. In fact, Military's LED only runs at 850mA ---- much less than Pro IBS. Under this setting, both the enery comsuming and temperature of the LED will reduce sigificantly, resulting in not only longer running time but also longer life.

I don't mind that Military is dimmer than Pro IBS. The driving mode of these two light are also not the same. Although Pro IBS can keep the same output level regardless the battery voltage(Military can't do that when supply voltage is less than 4.2V), it will waste much more energy of the battery as well. Both inserted with a full-charged 4.2V RCR18650, the battery current is 1.4A for Pro IBS and 0.8A for Military. The Pro IBS's battery current is 1.75x of Military while the brightness is not that greater. We lost about 20% brightness but got 100% more running life, that is not bad, at least I think that's not bad.

Jackyl

Enlightened
...so does the M still throw the rated output even at the lower input? Is the fixed mode set to max? How easy is it to reprogram the other mode to switch between min. and med. for temporary use? I wish they made a 2xCR123 Jet-II ST.

fineday

Newly Enlightened
High is fixed to MAX but low/set is the same I.B.S.

So, the way to set JET3 Military's brightness is the same as other Jets.

faucon

Enlightened
I'm running my new Jet III on 18650s and find it quite bright and a very good thrower, with a bright enough spillbeam as well. I'm curious to try it with RCRs to note any change in brightness. So far I'm impressed with this light's performance and build quality, and I appreciate the long runtimes.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Sexy...

Jetbeam_Jetcrenbezel1.jpg

Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

Jackyl

Enlightened
Does it still throw 225 lumens on 2xCR123's at only 850ma? Is that out the front or emitter? How's regulation on primaries? Anyone have any "in hand" pics? Is it anti-roll without the clip?

Last edited:

fineday

Newly Enlightened
I'm running my new Jet III on 18650s and find it quite bright and a very good thrower, with a bright enough spillbeam as well. I'm curious to try it with RCRs to note any change in brightness. So far I'm impressed with this light's performance and build quality, and I appreciate the long runtimes.

More batteries won't increase the brightness, due to Jet3 M will keep driving the LED at 850mA when 2 batteries inserted, and try driving the LED as bright as possible with only 1 battery(of course not greater than 850mA).

So double battery, double run-time, but no greater output.

Webrouzer

Banned
Nice looking light.

It is a nice looker, what is the lumen rating? What emitter is it??

I have the Olight Warrior - and THAT is my strongest light I have. It also has a REAL pouch. Mine is the R-2 and it says 280 Lumens. I opted for the OP reflector, I tried both and the OP throws as far as the smooth. That does not sound right, but to the naked eye, there was no difference in distance, and it was much nicer up close (no doughnuts).

Webrouzer

Webrouzer

Banned
Are you talking about the Olight Warrior M-20? I have it and I believe (at least spec wise) that mine is better. Mainly due to having a higher lumen rating and more than double the run time.

Jackyl

Enlightened
Thanks man, hope to have mine tomorrow / Thurs. Can't wait. BTW, did you happen to ship anything on Monday? ;)

faucon

Enlightened
More batteries won't increase the brightness, due to Jet3 M will keep driving the LED at 850mA when 2 batteries inserted, and try driving the LED as bright as possible with only 1 battery(of course not greater than 850mA).

So double battery, double run-time, but no greater output.
Thank you, fineday, for the explanation. I did try the Jet III M with RCRs yesterday and could not detect any significant change in brightness from the 18650.