Got my Zebralight SC51 today!

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago and it arrived in the mail today. Put in a LSD Duracell (re-branded Enloop) and let it shine. Very impressive. Color tint is pleasing too, less green than my other XP-Gs. Took me a few reads of the instruction manual to fully grasp the UI but figured it out ok. This is really an amazing flashlight and is incredible how much light it puts out of a single AA.

I let it sit on high for 5 minutes and it was only warm to the touch.

JayO

Newly Enlightened
Received mine today also. Tint is much cooler than my sc50.
Much brighter and larger hot spot with more flood.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighter than the SC50? Wow! That's bright. Sounds like you guys are liking this light a lot. Good to hear.

Marbouk

Newly Enlightened
I`m looking forward to getting one of these but i can`t find anywhere in the UK selling them :mecry:

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened
Got mine, as well! I'm loving the big hotspot. Still learning the UI. It's time to hit Costco for some Eneloops!

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know when the neutral version of the SC51 will be available? I can't wait. I think I'm going to order about 5. I assume the SC51 tine is like my SC60 which is just too cool for me (but the massive hotspot and spill is great). I love the Zebralight UI. I can't wait for the neutral version.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? I'm just using an alkaline now, because that's all I had, but after reading good things about Eneloops here on CPF...I'm going shopping!

Brightness should be the same. My point is that this light was made to use common batteries. With this light, you don't need exotic, expensive, can explode Li-on batteries to achieve super brightness.

I carry one Li-on and one Eneloop in the same belt sheath. The Li-on battery is for my Akoray K-106 and the Eneloop is for my ZL H501. Changing battery in the dark takes longer because I have to feel the batteries to find the right one.

With a light like the SC51 or H51, I will no longer have to rely on Li-on batteries for super brightness and can make all my batteries Eneloops.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know when the neutral version of the SC51 will be available? I can't wait. I think I'm going to order about 5. I assume the SC51 tine is like my SC60 which is just too cool for me (but the massive hotspot and spill is great). I love the Zebralight UI. I can't wait for the neutral version.

I emailed Zebralight a few weeks ago to ask them that very question, about the SC51 and SC60; they said they are in the works, but have not been able to secure emitters with the tint they want. The SC50w+ uses an XPE-Q4/5B so I assume they're trying to get XPG's in an R4/5A or 5B bin as well. I think that once they can get them in a quantity they need to do a manufacturing run, it shouldn't be a big deal to produce them, since all they'd have to do would be put the new emitter in the existing design.

I just went ahead and bought an SC50w+ because I didn't want to wait for a neutral/warm version of the 51. I'm also waiting for the SC60w, but I honestly don't "need" one... but I sure would like to have one. I'd expect an R4/5B to be about 240 - 250 lumens OTF. :D

Catul

Newly Enlightened
Mine came a few hours ago too (BTW, had great service from Lillian at Zebralight). I'd thought long and hard between this, the D11 and BK135A - the scales were tipped by the SC51's light output and performance on Eneloops and even more, the fantastic UI.

I love the usability of this light - the side switch works beautifully, very easy to turn the light on directly in Hi, Med or Lo, and the alternate levels at each of those (especially the Moonlight and Strobe) are excellent options. As far as I am concerned, the SC51 has the best UI out there - what a pleasure to use this light. :)

maniacyak

Newly Enlightened
Oh yes thanks, might just do that. 2-6 weeks shipping is gonna kill me though :ohgeez:

You just might get it sooner; I ordered my SC51 direct from ZebraLight using the cheapest shipping option and it took only 6 days to arrive in the UK. :)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is too much. You guys are making very hard for me to resist buying one right now.

Marbouk

Newly Enlightened
You just might get it sooner; I ordered my SC51 direct from ZebraLight using the cheapest shipping option and it took only 6 days to arrive in the UK. :)

That's great news :) ordering one now. Did you have to pay any import duty/tax?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-ion are rechargeable batteries with a voltage of 3.7 volts which are NOT supported by the ZL SC51. You can run primary lithium batteries has a slightly higher voltage of 1.5 volts than alkaline batteries with a voltage of 1.2 volts, or the Eneloops which are great to use.
Brightness should be the same. My point is that this light was made to use common batteries. With this light, you don't need exotic, expensive, can explode Li-on batteries to achieve super brightness.

I carry one Li-on and one Eneloop in the same belt sheath. The Li-on battery is for my Akoray K-106 and the Eneloop is for my ZL H501. Changing battery in the dark takes longer because I have to feel the batteries to find the right one.

With a light like the SC51 or H51, I will no longer have to rely on Li-on batteries for super brightness and can make all my batteries Eneloops.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-ion are rechargeable batteries with a voltage of 3.7 volts which are NOT supported by the ZL SC51. You can run primary lithium batteries has a slightly higher voltage of 1.5 volts than alkaline batteries with a voltage of 1.2 volts, or the Eneloops which are great to use.

I thought I made the same point in my post.