HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR or SF U2 Ultra???

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Ok! I think I'm going with the HDS, although I'd really like to get my hands on a SF U2 one of these days.

So the last question is - where's the best place to buy one of these? Arnold Ziffle... you said I could get the 60 XR GT for $175???!?! Where? Anyone else's recommendations? Is the GT really worth it if you can avoid getting a Luxeon Lottery Loser??

As for my backup light, I've got my trusty Petzl Tikka Plus - not the XP, but it's been with me all over the place, and is a workhorse of a headlamp.

jch79

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with the HDS EDC 85???? I've seen it mentioned here and there, but haven't found it for sale anywhere... is this an old product, or a yet-to-be-realeased product?

It's even mentioned on HDS's website in the "pioneering" section... any ideas??

Macaw

Enlightened
You can also buy a LifeNRA benefit raffle ticket for a chance at a McGizmo 27LT with the awesome X-bin emitter! Well worth a shot!:rock:

ront

Newly Enlightened
There were a few of the HDS EDC 85 sold but then the supply has dried up. At some popint they are supposed to be available again, but I would not hold my breath.
I am not sure where arnold ziffle is getting that $175 price on the U60XRGT. This is where I would look.
http://www.opticshq.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Optics&Product_Code=EDC-U-60-XR&Category_Code=Surefire-LED-Lights See the packages available with the purchase.

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/hds_edc_ultimate_flashlights.htm

I did not buy the GT model of the HDS and I am very happy with the tint on my light.

Ron

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Jch:)

What do you think about this idea?

You buy 3 of the new FenixL2T. Take a black tape and tape them together.
So you will have a "Trilux" 9-Watter with a lot of variations of output.
Powered with 6xAA cells. More output and longer runtime than the others for the half price.
Also waterproof and if one or two get failed, you will have another working light.

Best regards

_____
Tom

jch79

Long John said:
Hello Jch:)

What do you think about this idea?

You buy 3 of the new FenixL2T. Take a black tape and tape them together.
So you will have a "Trilux" 9-Watter with a lot of variations of output.
Powered with 6xAA cells. More output and longer runtime than the others for the half price.
Also waterproof and if one or two get failed, you will have another working light.

Best regards

_____
Tom
Long John -
I like it!!! Geez... I never would have thought about doing this... dare I say ingenious mod??
Now, let's get some advice on what kind of batteries I use for this simple setup...

Ron - thanks for the advice on the GT - I don't really mind if the tint is slightly off - we all see colors a little bit differently anyways, so white to me might look blue to some other guy.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
For general use and extended runtime, it's common practice to set up a U60 with level 2 or 3 (42 or 30 lumens) as your primary and save the 60 lumen level 1 as a "burst" for when you need more light, as you will greatly extend your runtime with a lower level, and for most of the time, it's "enough". Also keep in mind that there's a 2x123A battery pack available which'll more than double your runtimes (it "more than" doubles runtime because there's less internal resistance with 2 cells powering the same brightness).

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take for every day use nimh cells with about 2500 mAh.

At your expeditions, you can use Lithium AA cells and as backup for emergencys Alkaline cells.

So you can see, this "tape-mod.":) is very variable in light and in energy
resource.

(No, I'm not a Fenix-seller:grin2:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Best regards

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
if you order the HDS from OpticsHQ.com you can get a free G2 Nitrolon and 6 CR123s if you put the P61 lamp in that it'll give you 120 lumens and its smaller and lighter than the U2, then you have the HDS for low variable light and the G2 for when you need more light, I think I'm gonna buy that combo, and if you decide you just want the HDS you can get a free pelican 1010 case and 24 CR123s

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Don't forget to order the 2X123 battery tube for the U60XR, I assume you are going for the XR ( extended run ) The U60XR with the 2X123 tube will rival or exceed the runtime of the U2, I had the chance to play with both last friday night and the U2 is very nice. It definitely has more throw and spill, but not a lot more. I agree you are not comparing apples to apples, They are both great lights and you can not go wrong with either one.

Last edited:

Luna

Enlightened
Radio said:
Don't forget to order the 2X123 battery tube for the U60XR, I assume you are going for the XR ( extended run ) The U60XR with the 2X123 tube will rival or exceed the runtime of the U2, I had the chance to play with both last friday night and the U2 is very nice. It definitely has more throw and spill, but not a lot more. I agree you are not comparing apples to apples, They are both great lights and you can not go wrong with either one.

Dont forget with the Lg2400 you get around 90min on high (probably better now with the WW0S I now have in place)

ront

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure if the 2X123 battery tubes are available right now. I could not find one and I wanted one.

Ron

magic79

Enlightened
What's happened to OpticsHQ??? I logged in so I could recommend them and their great prices, and the site now lists all the HDS flashlights at full retail! :huh2:

I know I'm logged in because the SF lights are discounted and I can view the long list of orders I've placed. I bought a U60XR just 6 weeks ago for $151, now it's $190. Anyone else notice this?

Please don't tell me that HDS is shooting themselves in their OTHER foot by not allowing discounts.

Luxman

Enlightened
Both are Excellent lights, but the HDS Ultimate is more "universal".. I also like the lower light level capability of the HDS.

jch79

magic79 said:
What's happened to OpticsHQ??? I logged in so I could recommend them and their great prices, and the site now lists all the HDS flashlights at full retail! :huh2:

I know I'm logged in because the SF lights are discounted and I can view the long list of orders I've placed. I bought a U60XR just 6 weeks ago for $151, now it's $190. Anyone else notice this?

Please don't tell me that HDS is shooting themselves in their OTHER foot by not allowing discounts.

anyone else had this problem at opticshq? i want to order an HDS EDC U 60XR today (damn you U2 - damn you and your slightly more expensive, slightly bigger heavier body), but want to get it at the best price around... any ideas?

everybody - THANKS for all the input - i've never seen a web forum with so many helpful people, who actually seem to care about everyone else on it! way to go! it was a huge help.

john

ront

Newly Enlightened
Mike (from OpticsHQ) said a while back that the prices on the HDS lights was going to go up. It was beyond his control. He is offering several nice packages with the lights now. That is more than other dealers are doing I believe. Here is a link to the thread that announced this.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/114584

Ron

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
Please don't tell me that HDS is... not allowing discounts.
OK, I won't tell you. :(

Ron, what's that on your HDS clip? It doesn't look quite like the stock clip to me, but most of your pictures have the clip hidden in the back.

John, both the U2 and the HDS are excellent lights. You should be happy with either one (unless you get a dud U2). My HDS is a B42, not a U60. If I had to choose to give up my HDS or my U2, it would be a very difficult decision.

The HDS goes lower on low, and is more pocketable than the U2. My U2 is a lot brighter than the B42 (maybe 2.5~3 times brighter). When both are adjusted to roughly comparable output levels, the U2 will run longer than the HDS. It had better, since it has double the battery capacity (2x123 cells vs. 1 for the HDS) or close to triple if you use li-ion cells.

As others have already noted, the only reasonable thing to do is to buy both. You'll need a backup light anyway. :) If the HDS U85 ever becomes available, and if the HDS 18650 battery tube ever becomes available, I might consider replacing both my U2 and my B42. But, until that day comes....

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
jason9987 said:
if you order the HDS from OpticsHQ.com you can get a free G2 Nitrolon and 6 CR123s if you put the P61 lamp in that it'll give you 120 lumens and its smaller and lighter than the U2, then you have the HDS for low variable light and the G2 for when you need more light, I think I'm gonna buy that combo, and if you decide you just want the HDS you can get a free pelican 1010 case and 24 CR123s

I think something along these lines might be the best solution. Use the HDS for general use and the G2 with P61 for when you need a really bright light (some U2s are this bright, but some things are easier to see with an incan)

Another option is buying the HDS and a Princeton Tec Apex headlamp which is probably the most usefull light to bring when hiking.
The Fenix L1T is another good option, not as good as the HDS but a lot cheaper..

I have both the HDS and the U2 and grab the U2 whenever I know I'll need a light, but I always have the HDS in my pocket. The U2 is a lot more impressive outside than a HDS, but it is larger and probably too large for you to wear in your pockets normally.

Both the HDS (one RCR123) and U2 (one 18650/17670) can use rechargeable batteries and AW sells batteries and charger for both in the dealers section.
Lighthound who sells both the U2 and HDS also sells batteries and chargers for these light and is great to deal with.

Last edited:

jch79

Ok... one very last question -

At OpticsHQ, when you purchase the HDS 60XR flashlight, you get a choice of a freebee... which is the best in everyone's opinion?

This is what I'm considering from the list:
Surefire G2 (Which I'd want to buy the P61 head to outfit it with), w/ 6 batteries - as suggested by jason9987 - thanks!
Pelican M6 2320
Pelican M3 3370

It seems like the Pelican M6 doesn't offer much that the U60XR already has, the M3 3370 is a pretty bada$$ light, but a little too large... so maybe outfitting the Surefire g2 with the P61 head is the best option... thoughts?

Last edited: