HDS EDC.... worth it?

clipse

Enlightened
DownUnderLite said:
Purchased mine through www.OpticsHq.com

They have a special on at the moment. All models available.
P.S. Cheers to OpticsHq!!

Not all models. I emailed them about the availability of the U60XRGT and this is what I got back.

Hello Nate,

Sold out. They will not be shipping anymore of those.

We do have the rest of the 60's still in stock (2-3 of each)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
You might consider the 60XR. My XR is slightly brighter than my XRGT in ceiling bounce test and significantly brighter in beam projection/apparent brightness tests. XR color rendering is OK, a bit too blue for my taste but perfectly acceptable. The GT does provide truer color so if that is a major consideration you may want to pass on the XR.

Brightnorm

clipse

Enlightened
I'm hoping they will still have a U60XR on Sat when I can order one. :)

clipse

clipse

Enlightened
My HDS EDC U60XR should be on its way soon. :D I'll before the end of next week whether or not it was worth it. ;)

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the QC concern is a legit one since I just sent back a light that seemed to have had some additional process applied to the head tube. It seemed like it had been exposed to another chemical or lightly bead blasted or something.

Granted, 99.9% of the bitching about the lettering isn't legit since it just needs to be cleaned and it will be even, brite and white.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand this as slamming any other light but some of the comparisons with the HDS lights that so many want "to be as good as..." are silly. Thermal management, calibration particular to the individual emitter, REGULATED- not just LDO's, Depth tested, multiple battery chemistries, not overdriven, an excellent thermal pathway,
battery stepdown, darkness locator beacon.....there is alot to the HDS lights that NO other light has. The HDS lights are actually designed too well for most of the market that might buy them! They are clearly even too good for much of CPF since so many people seem to boil the sophistication of the HDS lights down to "it has levels and strobes so it's just like the HDS". Yeah right! Much of what really sets the HDS lights apart isn't obvious and doesn't "bullet" well on the outside of a package.

Read Henry's White Paper on LED Flashlight Design and the logic behind the design becomes much more apparent and elegant. Even the low end basic model offers alot of unsung features that aren't available on any other light.

In all honesty, I think the firefly 3 (DD with levels and strobe) is closer to the photon with the chip (DD with levels and strobe) than it is to the HDS lights.

I got a feeling tha the above post sill applies to this day. Great job Henry in being one of many that provide us with great products.:)

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a feeling tha the above post sill applies to this day. Great job Henry in being one of many that provide us with great products.:)

For this statement you revive a 4 year old thread??? Well done! lovecpf

+1 for Henry's lights, I'm currently on holiday, the Clicky 170Cn is in my pocket each day, at home a 140GT with 17670 compartments waits for my return... :crazy:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy dead-thread resurrection, Batman!!! :eek::aaa:

Great job on digging up this great thread on HDS Systems!

Henry and HDS are some of the best out there. I have many Surefires and I like them quite a bit. Henry's HDS lights are right on par with Surefire. No competition meant by that at all. Both top notch light companies. I find both the old HDS EDC lights as well as the new HDS RA lights very EDC-worthy. I currently EDC a RA 170 Lumen clicky along with one of Don's Lunasol 20's.

Buying an HDS light: ALWAYS a good decision!:thumbsup:

DLF

Newly Enlightened
You couldn't just have waited for this resurrection a couple of months for Henry's next innovative creation? ;)

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS is a great light in terms of design, hand fit, reliability, programmabulity, etc. And I still have one of my U60 around.

But, why not go for a new Ra lights? It should have the same "Henry's Quality", but only brighter and better programmability, maybe ? :shrug:

20080422232106.jpg

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
You couldn't just have waited for this resurrection a couple of months for Henry's next innovative creation? ;)

This is news to me. I know Henry would certainly be short on details, but has he mentioned forthcoming new product(s)?

DLF

Newly Enlightened
Just paraphrasing this thread, in which Henry, as one would expect him to, neither fully confirms nor denies rumors, but gently corrects the OP on a point about batteries.

Hope I didn't just cheat myself out of a nice new Ra light!

Last edited: