HDS EDC.... worth it?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I'd have to put in another vote for the HDS EDC Ultimate 60XRGT. I EDC it in my holster on my belt and I don't find it too bulky at all. It's the only light I EDC these days. I have mine set to turn on in minimum setting and adjusted the Primary and Secondary levels. It's a great light!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Based on those two reports of below par EDCs I'm hesitating to order another Ultimate60-XR.

Brightnorm

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm said:
Based on those two reports of below par EDCs I'm hesitating to order another Ultimate60-XR.

Brightnorm

:ohgeez:dont be hesitating, Get one before they all are out... I imagine around 5000 HDS that are sold. considering only 2 have Anodizing problems, and only One with QX1H in B42 .... It's a very good record....

if you have already HDS, you know they are good...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Good points; I wonder what Henry has up his sleeve for the (near) future.

BN

Last edited:

Fringe

Enlightened
Sorry, I stand corrected. Just got the light and they wrote in $9 for shipping on the invoice. Thought it was coming free.

Otherwise, ano. is great, tint is great, but I would've thought it would've been a little birghter, but overall, I am happy.

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
brightnorm said:
Good points; I wonder what Henry has up his sleeve for the (near) future.

Based on the B42XRGT I got from Lighthound, I would be interested in any light Henry produces. :rock: Especially something thinner/smaller but with HDS's fantastic engineering and quality.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
To me, "GT" (guaranteed tint) means WO, WA, XO, or X1. Of course there can be variations within those categories, but there should not be a gross tint . Also, based on Integrating Sphere tests, the Ultimate 60's should not be off by more than a few (unnoticeable) lumens. If two owners noticed that the lights were "dimmer" that suggests a loss of 15-20% of brightness (supposed human perceptive threshold, though opinions differ on the exact figure) which brings lumens down to the high 40's or low 50's. If that is the case I would return it, though that's my personal opinion.

P.S. It is normal for these lights to tail stand with a "wobble"

Brightnorm

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
got my 42xrgt from batt station, the light is growing on me more than i thought it would at first sight.
has a pinkish/reddish tint, not as white as say my pocket illuminator or orb raw. warm tint is okay but thought that the gt version would be whiter.

on high is not as bright as orb raw or 2aaa pi, but like the four output levels and am planning on getting the strong diffuser (or sf04 beamshaper - anyone have one they want to get rid of?) to have a pure flood option...

Anodizing has some specks here and there but that is not an issue. tailstands fine, sometimes will wobble slightly for a second or two but then stabilizes.

overall, a good deal methinks. would mod to a u-bin if there was some more info out there on people who modded and the long-term effects (if any)...

Fringe

Enlightened
mcmc,

I tried a F04 beamshaper last night and I thought it did not make that much of a difference to justify it living there, but maybe you will find otherwise. Great light though, I have the same, but sorry to hear of your rotten tint, you should see if you could exchange it since it is "garanteed."

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS is not compact enough for an urban EDC role. It might be great in the woods, but definitely not in the city. Not to mention is too much of a tight spot.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
At 3-1/8" length and 2.7oz including battery the HDS lights qualify as very compact cr123/R123 lights though not in the ultra compact category like the FF3, Fenix P1 or even the slightly bigger Amilite Neo T3, Peak Caribbean and others. For those whose EDC lights must fit into a pocket the HDS may be a little bulky, but perfectly at home in a very small belt holster.

The issue of beam and reflector design is mentioned in the SPY005 thread and discussed at great length in the reflector thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122997 The HDS beam is viewed by some as one of the most successful compromises between throw and flood in a small light. Perhaps your particular HDS has a tighter spot than others. My second HDS has a tighter spot than my first one but is still broad enough for comfort. Ultimately, issues of ideal size and beam characteristics are matters of individual choice.

(Those interested in an extremely compact, sophisticated broad-beamed light that is reasonably priced considering its quality and features might consider looking into the FireFly III)

Brightnorm

Last edited:

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
DownUnderLite said:
I just recieved my U60XRGT today 6/22/06 after ordering on the 6/16/06. Only 6 days from the States to Australia. I'm very happy with the light. No Buzzing, no bulging button and consistant finish with no marks.

My light is #4425 so it would appear that all bugs have been ironed out.
Very white even light. :) :) :)

Yep, i just got mine #4417 and its absolutely perfect. :grin2:

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Basic 42XRGT (S# 4174) from Battery Station + 10 free batteries, what a deal, and what a great light, this is what the Arc 4 should have been, this thing is great, nice and bright, has every mode of brightness I like--- looking forward to slapping a rechargeable in it --- Great service and communication from Kevin at Battery Station, there was a minor shipping SNAFU, no problem, Kevin handled it fine--- makes me really want another one of these--- my new favorite light!! a true "take everywhere" light--- extremely well made, can't say enough about it--- just that you gotta get one---

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the coin pocket on my jeans to be a perfect place for the HDS. I presume many of us wear jeans even when in cities so just some thing to think about for all those who are complaining of the HDS's enormous size....

Ritch

Enlightened
I read so much positive comments about HDS EDCs, so my question: As the HDS Ultimate 60 XR is made for 19-20 individual brightness settings, how long would be the runtime at a (around) 30-35 Lumens-setting?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a guess, but I'd expect well over 3-3.5 hours (maybe longer) with a 60XR at 30 lumens using a lithium ion. Even longer with a primary. I can get over 2.5 hours at 42 lumens with a li-ion on my U60XRGT.

Ritch

Enlightened
Sounds great, thank you. I don't know an ideally dealer in the Web. Where can I order it (with mounted titanium lanyard)? I live in Vienna, Austria and I can only pay with AMEX-Card. (Sorry, I know this is the wrong thread/forum for my question 'where to buy', but nevertheless I hope for a good advice)

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
Just a guess, but I'd expect well over 3-3.5 hours (maybe longer) with a 60XR at 30 lumens using a lithium ion. Even longer with a primary. I can get over 2.5 hours at 42 lumens with a li-ion on my U60XRGT.

Here is the HDS EDC lumens and level chart. Every 2 levels you go down doubles runtime.

My quess is that on 42 lumens with a U60XRGT, you should get at least 45min with a rechargeable R123 and over an hour with a primary battery.

Jeff