HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Dan does good work :twothumbs
I hope you don't mind me saving your photo. If I am going to order another HDS light, I will probably get it from Hogo and ask for this look and I can use your photo for his reference. It's just plain beautiful.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you don't mind me saving your photo. If I am going to order another HDS light, I will probably get it from Hogo and ask for this look and I can use your photo for his reference. It's just plain beautiful.

That's no problem. There will probably be plenty of additional photos some time soon :twothumbs

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Henry reads all these posts it wouldn't surprise me if he thinks he's selling lights to an insane asylum.
We're a group of people who proudly call ourselves "flashaholics". He wouldn't be too far off the mark. :D

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll leave you to search for the details, but you are describing what happened between Henry and Novatac almost ten years back. I still like my early Novatac 120P's, which have many of the new programming features we see now, and reflected Henry's philosophy. But what they soon did to the lights drove Henry away, to re-create the no-compromise products we have now, and Novatac met it's demise in a slow and painful spiral, the last of their products selling for dirt cheap clearance prices.

That is not going to happen again, I'm sure.

Why? It sounded like a pretty good deal for consumers. You got a great light you still like 10 years later, at a reasonable price. Win! I hope it does happen again, and I'll be the first in line to buy one of the lights. And another three when they go on clearance! :)

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why? It sounded like a pretty good deal for consumers. You got a great light you still like 10 years later, at a reasonable price. Win! I hope it does happen again, and I'll be the first in line to buy one of the lights. And another three when they go on clearance! :)

Try going to the Novatac website, they no longer exist. It may be a great light, but if it fails your screwed warranty wise.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, you answered your own questions. The idea will fail.

Last edited:

ganymede

Enlightened
Hi guys, looking at all the posts here suggesting Henry to develop 18650 body. Am I a minority here as I prefer AA and CR123a format light as an EDC?

bansuri

Enlightened
Hi guys, looking at all the posts here suggesting Henry to develop 18650 body. Am I a minority here as I prefer AA and CR123a format light as an EDC?
It's the issue of voltage for AA lights, they need a boost circuit which is a completely different design. CR123 is the standard design of HDS, these other formats are accessory options for the lights.
18650 would be nice because you could use a spacer, (available somewhere in the dealer's corner..little piece of aluminum that's the same size as cr123) and run CR123, RCR123, or 18650. Probably run 17670 without issue.
Recently acquired an HDS Basic 42 with 17670 tube, changes the light into a different animal.
But even with my love of HDS lights I still have AA lights at the ready.
You younger folks can't imagine what it was like growing up in a time of single-level, D battery flashlights that you didn't dare use because the runtime was horrific. That we get to have these arguments over batteries and multi-day runtimes is a luxury. When the first 2xAA minimag came out I thought mankind had reached the pinnacle of flashlight development, now we have this? These are the flashlights that were described in sci-fi that I dreamed of.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try going to the Novatac website, they no longer exist. It may be a great light, but if it fails your screwed warranty wise.

As I already said, I don't care about warranty if the light is sub $100. Give me a 90 day warranty so I can return it if it's DOA, other than that I'll take my chances.

As a consumer, I don't care if a company still exists in 10 years. I care about whether or not I can afford to buy something at a reasonable price. A light that costs $250 means I'll never own it. A light that costs $100 means I'll get it.

Let a company take a risk at producing such a light. Maybe they'll succeed, maybe they won't. In the meantime, I'll get a well-made light that is manufactured on-mass to take advantage of economies of scale.

From the sounds of it, Henry seems like a micro-manager so wouldn't go for expanding his business to mass produce. But he's not going to be around forever, so maybe he'll license it or sell the rights of production eventually.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
880 arm,

Nice light and holster. You plan on doing a review on the light?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I skip reading the thread for a couple of days and have to read several pages to catch up!

So now that HDS is (or will be shortly) caught up with back orders, it will be interesting to see if demand continues to exceed supply. I don't expect a less than 10% price increase to make much difference since luxury goods aren't typically very price sensitive.

--flatline

Status
Not open for further replies.