HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
This twisty doesn't even work like most contemporary twisties. You don't cycle it off and on to change modes, you just rotate the head further. Its sorta got an "off" area and as you spin it, it steps through the levels. Turn it backward to off again when you're done. Cool.

I'd love to have a Ti Ra. There's one for sale right now in the BST forum. I go and look at it every few days. Just can't afford it :(

I put a de-domed XP-E2 in a C8 host. Super thin pencil beam thrower - fun really. Not the most practical light I own but they don't always have to be, do they? :)

ven

Flashaholic
I put a de-domed XP-E2 in a C8 host. Super thin pencil beam thrower - fun really. Not the most practical light I own but they don't always have to be, do they? :)

Practical for EDC yes............... a bit of fun,crazy ,ridiculous, wow should be in everyone's collection
This set up has all the said!

;)

nbp

Flashaholic
I believe the twisty style in HDS Twisties is called a "progressive twisty". It makes sense once you use it. Muyshondt uses the same UI in his twisties. I much prefer it to on/off cycling but of course it is more complicated and expensive to design and manufacture than the typing multicycle twisties. I had the privilege of owning a couple HDS Twisties and they are really special lights.

Flipflops

Newly Enlightened
Will unscrewing my bezel about 1/8 of a turn hurt my HDS rotary? That is, will it impact the water-resistance, or cause any other trouble? The reason I ask is that when the bezel is tightened down, I can see a crescent shaped artifact in the center of the beam; however, if I unscrew the bezel a little, it disappears (the pattern looks smooth and beautiful). Thanks, Flipflops

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Will unscrewing my bezel about 1/8 of a turn hurt my HDS rotary? That is, will it impact the water-resistance, or cause any other trouble? The reason I ask is that when the bezel is tightened down, I can see a crescent shaped artifact in the center of the beam; however, if I unscrew the bezel a little, it disappears (the pattern looks smooth and beautiful). Thanks, Flipflops
Shaving the back of the reflector is how others have been dealing with getting rid of the ring. I don't understand the exact process, but having had a few worked on, if a person knows what they're doing, it'll give you a perfect beam from one end to the other.

Last edited:

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
9a3efa5e7ad9512e6afbccba36791526.jpg

219b @ 90lm

Strintguy

Enlightened
Last week at the last game of the season of a six-a-side soccer league, a women's team was trying to take a pic after the stadium lights went off. I watched as they all tried in vain to light the scene with their phone lights. Then I used my recently acquired HDS 170lm Rotary to light it up. One of the ladies asked "who is that with the spot light?" It was plenty of light and a lovely tint.

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
I almost forgot about this incident where I had a very positive outcome using my HDS light. I went to a second showing of Star Wars: Rogue One with my friend. I carry my Nichia 219B HDS light with me at night. My EDC light during the day while in my business attire is a EagTac D25C TI VN.

So anyway I'm sitting in my seat and a man and woman come into the theatre looking frantic, and they mentioned to us that he dropped his wallet and he thinks he dropped it in the showing of the movie before ours, in the row in front of mine.

They're all over the floor with their cell phone lights on and they can't seem to find it. The previews start coming on and they're getting worried that they're not going to find it, you could see it was going to be pretty upsetting if this guy couldn't find his wallet.

I turn on my HDS and as you know it comes on defaulting to medium and after just maybe 10 or 15 seconds I spotted it from my perspective. They couldn't see it at the angle from where they were, but I just guided the woman to reach her hand up under the seat where it was and i told her she'd feel it. She was able to grab it and they were both very happy and very thankful for my help. What allowed me to see it, despite it being a black leather wallet, was that the billfold had opened up somewhat when it fell and I could see the shiny silver imprinted numbers on one of his credit cards reflect like a street sign.

I was happy to be able to have helped somebody, during what was for a short period of time, a very uncomfortable situation.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone has the AA battery tube for HDS lights could you post a picture of it? I'm in between buying this or the 18659 battery tube. If anyone has a picture of the 18650 tube I would appreciate it as well.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Me too...I posted a WTB in the appropriate subforum, but without success for now :(

midget

Enlightened
Question on the Rotary models...

IIRC the rubber boot is not user serviceable on the rotaries, is that correct?

If true, how do you all deal with replacing the button when it wears out?

Just curious as I'm considering a rotary some day... I have the 325L clicky model for 11 months now and have worn the boot on mine a bit. I do know how to replace the button with no issue on the clicky, but am concerned if I get a rotary I'll wear it out too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.