HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigon

Enlightened
I'm fortunate to have (2) of the rotary 219C 5k 3 o'clock lights, one for work, one for home.
Great tint and CRI on these. Neither has the flashing issue mentioned above.
Nor was I aware of any update to the (proven) V4 firmware.

Ron

Edited to add: I was able to duplicate the flashing problem this morning when I grabbed an older V3 250 rotary.
The light was cold and this rotary has the grating counterclockwise brush issue (the only one I've had with this).
The light was set very low and gave a brief flash when I moved the dial up slightly.
It happened again later when I moved the dial lower again.
The flashing problem seemed to go away when the light warmed up slightly in my hand after using it a while.
Note that the counterclockwise grating issue seems to smooth out considerably also when the light warms up.
My conclusion is the flashing issue is related to the rotary dial brushes skipping around a little on the lower settings.

Not a big deal for me, this is an older beater light that gets very rough duty, I'm a little surprised this light keeps working.
I have some new backup spare rotary dials I will check out on this one.

Edited again (update): Tried a new rotary dial on this old light and the problem went away. Smooth as silk now.
Will send the old dial in on my next firmware update, no doubt Henry will make it right.

Last edited:

sebis

Newly Enlightened
Same as mine, good ol' snowflake... Wouldn't part with it for anything, gives it character + , :thumbsup:

JMHO, -Ron
-edited to add - these bezels were only on a small batch of V3 lights and corrected immediately, consider yourself lucky if you snagged one..

is4WqQ9.jpg

My Custom Rotary LE 219B is starting to have the same issue, doesn't look this bad yet but still don't like it. I emailed HDS, waiting to hear from them.

--Sebis

indigon

Enlightened
My Custom Rotary LE 219B is starting to have the same issue, doesn't look this bad yet but still don't like it. I emailed HDS, waiting to hear from them.

--Sebis
From an old Batch of bad bezels..

Ol' Snowflake pictured above is a V3 250 rotary XP-G2.
Here it is, (same light) with a Novatac tail cap on the head and Lee #162 filter, + 1L/2L clip:
-Went down 2 flights of steel stairs the other day, (don't ask), not a scratch..

TM8BhNd.jpg

Last edited:

sebis

Newly Enlightened

--Sebis

Update on my previous post, Henry sent replacement bezel the same day I reported the issue, this is called GREAT customer service. Now I have to get some strap wrenches to replace it. On the same note, the replacement bezel has a completely different finish, not as shinny and hopefully will not experience any more finish issues.

--Sebis

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Is anybody out there running their HDS on two Energizer lithium primaries?

I have a AA body for my "legacy" clickies, and I get a blinking battery warning as soon as I go to max brightness with fresh batteries. I'm wondering if the latest lights are smarter about this.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Is anybody out there running their HDS on two Energizer lithium primaries?

I have a AA body for my "legacy" clickies, and I get a blinking battery warning as soon as I go to max brightness with fresh batteries. I'm wondering if the latest lights are smarter about this.

There was a post several years ago discussing this, which has to do with the voltage overlap between "empty" CR123A and "full" 2xAA

I think a reset was recommended when installing the new 2xAA cells ... ?

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Thanks, i have a similar vague recollection of when they came out. Soft reset (battery detect) doesn't help.

There was a post several years ago discussing this, which has to do with the voltage overlap between "empty" CR123A and "full" 2xAA

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, that's exactly the problem, especially when using NIMH. Since it's 1,2V (so 2 XNIMH=2,4V), the driver thinks it's a depleted Li-Ion. Best results I have with this tube is by using Alkaline, but I hate that chemistry for the leaking risk. Even Lithium AA (1,7v) confuses the driver. It also considers those as a depleted Li-Ion.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
So, that's true of the current lights, too? Or are you also talking about a legacy clicky? I'm just trying to figure out if I should invest in an aa body for a rotary.

Yep, that's exactly the problem, especially when using NIMH. Since it's 1,2V (so 2 XNIMH=2,4V), the driver thinks it's a depleted Li-Ion. Best results I have with this tube is by using Alkaline, but I hate that chemistry for the leaking risk. Even Lithium AA (1,7v) confuses the driver. It also considers those as a depleted Li-Ion.

Duster1671

Enlightened
The emitter swap on my Rotary is complete (XP-G to 219C). The tint and CRI are much better, of course, but there was no effect on the beam artifacts and tint shift. Still obvious rings and much cooler tint at the outer edge of the beam.

I'm wondering if the reflector design in this light (high-seated orange peel) is just a dud and won't produce a nice beam with any emitter.

Duster1671

Enlightened
Ha! Certainly won't be throwing it away. It is a nice light, but I'm a bit perplexed by the beam shape on this first generation of the Rotary, considering how much thought, tuning, and attention to detail went into every other aspect of the light.

Maybe I'll try swapping in one of the newer smooth reflectors and see what happens.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
First run of Rotaries had a fairly "ringy" beam compared to later models. But it's not like we're talking about thick, black lines or anything. It's still a perfectly usable light.

Duster1671

Enlightened
A beam would have to be orders of magnitude worse than my Rotary to be unusable. We're not even in that neighborhood.

That said, my interest in and enjoyment of flashlights goes beyond strictly utilitarian concerns, and this is one of those small things that I'd like to improve.

gk1610

Newly Enlightened
I consider between hds rotary tatical 200lm hi cri and 325lm, I prefer 325lm , I don't know 200lm have enough for daily needs

Status
Not open for further replies.