HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the lifetime warranty gets in the way.
I shouldn't. Surefire, Malkoff, and Elzetta all offer lifetime warranties and have models with several times the output that HDS offers currently. As long as emitters aren't pushed beyond the manufactures specs they will last a lifetime as will the rest of the electronics. The only reason not to offer more output is safety concerns when using CR123A's and that is why I suggested making a Lithium Ion only model. But really, CR123A's have been proven to handle far more then HDS demands currently.

moltenmag

Enlightened
I shouldn't. Surefire, Malkoff, and Elzetta all offer lifetime warranties and have models with several times the output that HDS offers currently. As long as emitters aren't pushed beyond the manufactures specs they will last a lifetime as will the rest of the electronics. The only reason not to offer more output is safety concerns when using CR123A's and that is why I suggested making a Lithium Ion only model. But really, CR123A's have been proven to handle far more then HDS demands currently.

I agree. I know HDS isn't known for eyeball roasting but I do think it's time for a 500 lumen HDS. Either that or a different reflector to optimize brightness. C'mon guys it's 2018... time for an overhaul...

On another note... Would it be possible for a metal tailcap switch for an HDS? Maybe an entire tailcap assembly design. I would be for this because the longevity of having to install spare parts would significantly increase. Plus I love metal. Must. Have. All metal. HDS. Metal...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes I kinda agree. I think a SS hds would be the ultimate light. Heavier yes but like 3 times as tough.

scout24

Flashaholic

It's not just about current delivery. Runtime on high, as has been mentioned repeatedly, is one of the overriding concerns and guiding design principles. This is why output has gone up gradually, as emitters have proven themselves and minor efficiency improvements have been made.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not just about current delivery. Runtime on high, as has been mentioned repeatedly, is one of the overriding concerns and guiding design principles. This is why output has gone up gradually, as emitters have proven themselves and minor efficiency improvements have been made.

And, it has been repeatedly mentioned as well, you don't have to use high if you don't want to but, it's nice to have it if you need it. "it is better to have and not need, then need and not have" Myself and many others don't need Henry to make our decisions for us. Not to mention, the runtimes on high could be adjusted by cell type. A 3500mAh 18650 gives very good runtimes even at fairly high output.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
And, it has been repeatedly mentioned as well, you don't have to use high if you don't want to but, it's nice to have it if you need it. "it is better to have and not need, then need and not have" Myself and many others don't need Henry to make our decisions for us. Not to mention, the runtimes on high could be adjusted by cell type. A 3500mAh 18650 gives very good runtimes even at fairly high output.

HDS lights are designed for a specific and fairly broad utility. If you need brighter use a different light, that's what I do, but generally what it provides is enough light for me for most tasks.
HDS isn't trying to control you by Big Brothering your light use. It is what it is.
You've been banging on randomly for a while now, perhaps HDS isn't for you?

scout24

Flashaholic
You don't have Henry making decisions for you. You're free to spend your money elsewhere. HDS has repeatedly stated Runtime. On high. On CR123 cells. Is one of his guiding principles. Perhaps you'd like to call Henry and discuss it with him? He doesn't build lights for you. He doesn't build lights for me. He builds the lights he wants. And, it seems to have worked pretty well for him. Trying to reinvent his wheel by tiring yourself out seems like tilting at windmills...

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have Henry making decisions for you. You're free to spend your money elsewhere. HDS has repeatedly stated Runtime. On high. On CR123 cells. Is one of his guiding principles. Perhaps you'd like to call Henry and discuss it with him? He doesn't build lights for you. He doesn't build lights for me. He builds the lights he wants. And, it seems to have worked pretty well for him. Trying to reinvent his wheel by tiring yourself out seems like tilting at windmills...

I do as far as output if I want to use one of his lights. And, I am well aware I can spend my money else where thanks.

I am simply saying it would be nice to have all the great traits HDS lights are known for but, with some more output available as well if needed. It would just make them more versatile imo. I know a lot of people would like this too as it's one of the biggest critiques of HDS lights. I did suggest a Lithium Ion only model too so the current models wouldn't have to change necessarily. And, there is no reinventing the wheel involved. The lights already have thermal regulation so it would be a just a matter of giving them more power.

As for it working out pretty well for Henry, sure it has, he makes great lights and offers good customer service. But, remember HDS is still just a tiny fringe company whos sales are hugely hampered by lack of progression and evolution. Offering new models, some maybe with some more output, wouldn't hurt anything and would only help imo.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS lights are designed for a specific and fairly broad utility. If you need brighter use a different light, that's what I do, but generally what it provides is enough light for me for most tasks.
HDS isn't trying to control you by Big Brothering your light use. It is what it is.
You've been banging on randomly for a while now, perhaps HDS isn't for you?

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to use a different light? Offering more output would only increase their utility and what is wrong with that? And, with HDS's programmable UI you don't even have to use the higher levels if you don't want to, just set the ceiling at whatever level you want to.

Having an EDC light that can cover more uses makes it more useful imo. 200-300 lumens is enough for a large portion of my uses as well but, it sure is nice to have a higher output for quick bursts when I need it.

I actually really like HDS and see nothing wrong with constructively discussing possible things to make their lights even better.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I know HDS isn't known for eyeball roasting but I do think it's time for a 500 lumen HDS. Either that or a different reflector to optimize brightness. C'mon guys it's 2018... time for an overhaul...

On another note... Would it be possible for a metal tailcap switch for an HDS? Maybe an entire tailcap assembly design. I would be for this because the longevity of having to install spare parts would significantly increase. Plus I love metal. Must. Have. All metal. HDS. Metal...

I agree. I don't need a metal tailcap switch as I am fine with the replaceable rubber ones but, I would like to see a stainless tailcap option for the clickies to offer the same drop protection to the tail that the stainless bezel does to the head. It would be cool if they were offered in the same plain or black nitride options too.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to use a different light? Offering more output would only increase their utility and what is wrong with that? And, with HDS's programmable UI you don't even have to use the higher levels if you don't want to, just set the ceiling at whatever level you want to.

Having an EDC light that can cover more uses makes it more useful imo. 200-300 lumens is enough for a large portion of my uses as well but, it sure is nice to have a higher output for quick bursts when I need it.

I actually really like HDS and see nothing wrong with constructively discussing possible things to make their lights even better.

Honestly I wouldn't change a thing. Any of the proposed introductions and changes would be a down grade from my perspective.
I'm all for constructive discussion but perhaps I had written you off as just banging on in a passive aggressive etc nature as a few people seem to blow in and out of the forum with that attitude. I get bored pretty quickly with that, maybe I got it wrong? Anyway like you noted it's all an opinion and they're bound to differ.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I wouldn't change a thing. Any of the proposed introductions and changes would be a down grade from my perspective.
I'm all for constructive discussion but perhaps I had written you off as just banging on in a passive aggressive etc nature as a few people seem to blow in and out of the forum with that attitude. I get bored pretty quickly with that, maybe I got it wrong? Anyway like you noted it's all an opinion and they're bound to differ.

Definitely wrong about that and I am sorry if I come off that way sometimes. I tend to be a little harsh sometimes and it has got me I to trouble more then once in life lol. I genuinely like a lot of what HDS has to offer and think Henry's integrity is very commendable. And Dan/Hogo lol, not only does he seem like an awesome stand up guy as well but, he is fricking hilarious imo.

Anyway, I just think it would be cool to have a model with some more output available even if the other models stayed the same. But honestly, I don't see how it would be a downgrade for you as you could leave the output and UI exactly the same if you wanted to. That is the beauty of a programmable UI like Henry uses. And, if one day you decide you want to bump up the ceiling, it is just a few clicks away.

nbp

Flashaholic
Tachead - I think it would behoove you to pick up an HDS from the secondary market and give it a try. If you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid, and then you could really understand from experience what you do or don't like about it vs. just reading about it. You might be surprised.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely wrong about that and I am sorry if I come off that way sometimes. I tend to be a little harsh sometimes and it has got me I to trouble more then once in life lol. I genuinely like a lot of what HDS has to offer and think Henry's integrity is very commendable. And Dan/Hogo lol, not only does he seem like an awesome stand up guy as well but, he is fricking hilarious imo.

Anyway, I just think it would be cool to have a model with some more output available even if the other models stayed the same. But honestly, I don't see how it would be a downgrade for you as you could leave the output and UI exactly the same if you wanted to. That is the beauty of a programmable UI like Henry uses. And, if one day you decide you want to bump up the ceiling, it is just a few clicks away.

No worries.
Part of my job involves yelling at people and generally making their lives difficult and uncomfortable so perhaps I can relate.

Got to say I agree with nbp, just grab a HDS and use it then see how you go.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tachead - I think it would behoove you to pick up an HDS from the secondary market and give it a try. If you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid, and then you could really understand from experience what you do or don't like about it vs. just reading about it. You might be surprised.
Oh believe me I have been thinking about it for a while although I am more likely to buy new. I am waiting to see what new things HDS will be offering this year though as Hogo has mentioned there are some new things coming. The 18350 tube is supposed to be one of them and having to the option to run 1100-1200mAh 18350's is a big selling feature to me over 500-700mAh 16340's.

I must say I have also been tempted by the OR Boss though although I like the ergonomics of the HDS better(I like knurling). I also am more of a hard use designs kind of guy and prefer potted lights.

nbp

Flashaholic
@ Tachead - The only reason I suggested pre-owned is so there is really no financial downside if you decide you don't like it. The BOSS is also an amazing light. It's a lot different than the HDS though. Definitely a "buy both" scenario. I've had a lot of cool lights in the last decade here at CPF but the BOSS is one of the most exciting I've had in a long time.

Re: the HDS, I tell you what. If you pick up the shipping I'll send you my N170 Clicky for you to try out. For $10-15 you can know for sure if you want to snag one of your own or at least make your observations from first hand experience.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Tachead - The only reason I suggested pre-owned is so there is really no financial downside if you decide you don't like it. The BOSS is also an amazing light. It's a lot different than the HDS though. Definitely a "buy both" scenario. I've had a lot of cool lights in the last decade here at CPF but the BOSS is one of the most exciting I've had in a long time.

Re: the HDS, I tell you what. If you pick up the shipping I'll send you my N170 Clicky for you to try out. For $10-15 you can know for sure if you want to snag one of your own or at least make your observations from first hand experience.

Wow nbp you're a bigger man than I, that's a nice gesture. The 170N clicky is one of my favourite HDS lights out there.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Oh believe me I have been thinking about it for a while although I am more likely to buy new.

I must say I have also been tempted by the OR Boss though although I like the ergonomics of the HDS better(I like knurling). I also am more of a hard use designs kind of guy and prefer potted lights.
It's nice that you're considering getting one of Henry's lights.

I bought a BOSS 35 last year and just left it with Henry a few weeks ago. Told him to have fun with it but not to let Dan go shooting it. I can live without the BOSS, but my Rotary stays with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.