Help me replace my 4sevens quark aa2 turbo

tbone1993

Newly Enlightened
Looking to get another 2 double aa everyday light. Had my 4sevens for over 7 years and it still hasn't failed me, replaced the rubber tail cap around year 5. I'm looking to replace it with a light with similar features and preferably a smaller company that is cutting edge. I want to keep the cost to or around $100. AA batteries are a must because I don't want to run different batteries or charges for multi day outings. Very interested in a light that has a similar interface to 4sevens. Essentially be able to go from change between two preset settings at any level. I'm not a fan of lights that I have to cycle between levels. Water proof is a must. Budget is negotiable. Don't need an area light, want something with a little bit of throw.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I have an original early release AA2 Turbo that has been in one of my cars since day dot. It's the perfect torch for that sort of thing cos it just works and the thicker AA2 turbo tube and tailcap and its lovely grippy knurling make it fit the hand so well (no good for pocket use though). The simple method of operation means I can hand it to anyone either twisted head loose or head tight and I know it'll be fine until the battteries die.

I too had to replace the rubber tail button a few years in but the only other thing I ever did to it was space the reflector out slightly to make the hotspot smaller and more intense for better throw out in the open (I live and drive out in the sticks so I often need to look long distances at night).

It's a torch that's thoroughly stood the test of time and for that particular use that I make of it, I've not found anything better, from any maker.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered a Quark MK III? Jason at Prometheus released the latest revision earlier this fall and they are now available for regular purchase and I believe there is currently a holiday sale on. I've got one and have found it to be an excellent update so far and the emitter strikes a nice balance between power, CCT, tint, and throw.