Help me select a 1 x AA flashlight ...

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
I have most of the lights you mentioned and they're all decent lights. The RC-G2 doesn't have as much OVERALL brightness as the C3's...it is using an older p2 Cree and is more of a thrower with a tight beam.

I'd highly recommend the Stainless C3...it's very well made and the regulation seems very good. It's also hefty and feels/looks expensive. But it may be too heavy as an EDC and it's single mode so may be too bright for close up work.

From your list... the Ultrafire 5-mode C3 may be a good pick...the strobe modes can be annoying but you might find a use for them (bike light?). I have two of them and one of them has a very dim low mode which is useful...it starts on Medium, High, Low, Strobe, SOS. The other one I recently received seems to have a different driver and starts at High, Medium, Low, Strobe, SOS...this one is no good as the high, medium, and low modes are very similar with little noticeable difference.

Build quality has been unpredictable lately. It's just luck of the draw but if you get the right one, it can be useful for you. I'd opt for the version that offers a 2xAA extension option...it'll come in handy and the 5-mode is much brighter with 2xAA. Also, not sure if this means anything, but the 5-mode C3 I ordered with the 2xAA extension had the better driver....the one with the less desirable driver was received when I ordered the 1xAA 5-mode C3. :confused:

Another great, cheap 1xAA light for your application would be the MTE 5-mode Rebel 100...it's got a Rebel led so you'll get better color rendition, it's a lot lighter (weight) for EDC, it's got last mode memory, and it's well built for around $18...http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6162.

Last edited:

cpf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. One more option.

I'll wait awhile. Getting more and more interested in LED flashlights. Expect a few noobish questions in the next few days.

Still hoping for a low power RC-G2 ( or equivalent ).

Centropolis

Enlightened
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about your 5-mode C3.

1) Does the tailcap button work well switch modes?
2) I assumed you ordered from DX, did it come with a holster?

I already have a L2D and a RC-G2. C3 with extension tube seems to be a duplicate of these two lights (other than the RC-g2 has more throw like you mentioned.). But I do want a cheap 2AA to throw around in the car.

Is the C3 with 1AA a more useable like for camping and hiking you think??

Sorry, more than a couple of questions! haha

I have most of the lights you mentioned and they're all decent lights. The RC-G2 doesn't have as much OVERALL brightness as the C3's...it is using an older p2 Cree and is more of a thrower with a tight beam.

I'd highly recommend the Stainless C3...it's very well made and the regulation seems very good. It's also hefty and feels/looks expensive. But it may be too heavy as an EDC and it's single mode so may be too bright for close up work.

From your list... the Ultrafire 5-mode C3 may be a good pick...the strobe modes can be annoying but you might find a use for them (bike light?). I have two of them and one of them has a very dim low mode which is useful...it starts on Medium, High, Low, Strobe, SOS. The other one I recently received seems to have a different driver and starts at High, Medium, Low, Strobe, SOS...this one is no good as the high, medium, and low modes are very similar with little noticeable difference.

Build quality has been unpredictable lately. It's just luck of the draw but if you get the right one, it can be useful for you. I'd opt for the version that offers a 2xAA extension option...it'll come in handy and the 5-mode is much brighter with 2xAA. Also, not sure if this means anything, but the 5-mode C3 I ordered with the 2xAA extension had the better driver....the one with the less desirable driver was received when I ordered the 1xAA 5-mode C3. :confused:

Another great, cheap 1xAA light for your application would be the MTE 5-mode Rebel 100...it's got a Rebel led so you'll get better color rendition, it's a lot lighter (weight) for EDC, it's got last mode memory, and it's well built for around $18...http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6162.

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about your 5-mode C3.

1) Does the tailcap button work well switch modes?
2) I assumed you ordered from DX, did it come with a holster?

I already have a L2D and a RC-G2. C3 with extension tube seems to be a duplicate of these two lights (other than the RC-g2 has more throw like you mentioned.). But I do want a cheap 2AA to throw around in the car.

Is the C3 with 1AA a more useable like for camping and hiking you think??

Sorry, more than a couple of questions! haha

Hi,
1) the tailcap is no better or worse than most DX lights and works fine when switching modes. Just a half-press and I'm onto the next mode. I usually open up the tailcap and install a new GITD or Orange Tailcap from DX http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5498 and cut the inner stem to the right length so the action is a lot better. I do this with all my lights since most of them aren't as responsive as they are once the tailcap has been adjusted/fitted correctly.

2) The 2xAA C3 does not come with a holster but you can get one for $1.37...this one fits http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5264

If you want a decent 2xAA light, the 5-mode C3 will do the job. If you don't like modes, go with the Ultrafire 606A...this one is also built well and bright http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4238

Not sure what you mean by more "useable" for camping but if you want a cheap 1xAA light, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the new Stainless Steel Ultrafire C3...it's built well, bright, and the regulation is good. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11133

Last edited:

tobbi KLEIN

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what you mean by more "useable" for camping but if you want a cheap 1xAA light, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the new Stainless Steel Ultrafire C3...it's built well, bright, and the regulation is good. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11133

It seems like this light has only 1 mode.

So how long does it run on a 2000mAh NiMH-battery?

sku_11133_1_small.jpg

cpf

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for bumping this thread - just ordered the SS UF C3 which I will be using with Eneloops. Hope I've made the right choice and I can remove the "Should be" from my sig.

Thanks everyone.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
That's a good light, I've got one of the SS and a old aluminum one. If it's too bright for working inside a computer, you might try this one.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10688
The jetbeam you were looking at has been out of stock for a while, I've got several to compare to and this DX light is brighter with more spill and better tint. Pulls about 830 ma on high so it should last almost as long as the CL-E. Has a pretty useful low mode that would do well at close range in a computer box. At this price point, I think it's a CL-E killer.
Build quality of this light is much better than the 5 mode Rebel 100 MTE too.

If you want a really nice light, see if you can find a Rexlight 2.1 build 0002 on B/S/T. Then add a JetBeam AA extension for a nice, bright all around light.

Eneloops are good. The Duracell PreCharged are too.

Welcome to the collecting flashlight addiction.

loanshark

Enlightened
I'll cast the third vote for the UJC b-6. I have the c3, the LM31, the MTE sku1995, the river rock from target, the g2, and some others... The b-6 has really gained favor with me over the last couple weeks. The LM31 is a nice light but I don't find it any more usefull than my b-6, and by the time you pay shipping on the lm31 it's tripple the cost of the b-6!!! As long as you're not afraid to tighten the tailswitch You'll be happy with the bargain priced b-6...

By the way the silver one seems to be out of stock, so get the black one.

Linky
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=4210

loanshark

Enlightened
I'll cast the third vote for the UJC b-6. I have the c3, the LM31, the MTE sku1995, the river rock from target, the g2, and some others... The b-6 has really gained favor with me over the last couple weeks. The LM31 is a nice light but I don't find it any more usefull than my b-6, and by the time you pay shipping on the lm31 it's tripple the cost of the b-6!!! As long as you're not afraid to tighten the tailswitch You'll be happy with the bargain priced b-6...

Linky

loanshark

Enlightened
I'll cast the third vote for the UJC b-6. I have the c3, the LM31, the MTE sku1995, the river rock from target, the g2, and some others... The b-6 has really gained favor with me over the last couple weeks. The LM31 is a nice light but I don't find it any more usefull than my b-6, and by the time you pay shipping on the lm31 it's tripple the cost of the b-6!!! As long as you're not afraid to tighten the tailswitch you'll be happy with the bargain priced b-6...

Linky

cpf

Newly Enlightened
What I would have really liked is a two mode Ultrafire C3 Stainless Steel. I have e-mailed Jerry at KD :
Most of us cannot contact the manufacturers of Ultrafire & Romisen flashlights. But I'm sure you can, so please forward this suggestion to them :
Most flashlights have either a single-mode or mult-mode operation. I'm pretty sure that many buyers would prefer a simple two-mode flashlight ( that is, 50%, 100% and OFF ). Very often the single power mode is too bright for using indoors or for close up work. The multi-modes are too complicated to use. I'm sure if there is a simple two mode Ultrafire stainless steel C3 ( or a Romisen RC-G2 ) it will sell very well. The manufacturers and you will benefit from increased sales and we would have a more useful/flexible product.
Please convey and explain this to Ultrafire and Romisen.
His reply :
I have read your message already...your opinion really stands for a community..I'd like to delivery this to manufacturers..
Thanks for your trust on me.

Marduke

Flashaholic
50% and 100%?? You would barely be able to see the difference between them. A much more usable setting for just 2 modes would be more like 10% and 100% IMO

Latest posts