Hey Surefire!,where's the new A2?

wuyeah

Enlightened
What would you do with a brighter light? The A2 is plenty bright for almost all tasks and nothing beats a regulated incan!
I cant blind my friends temporary like an E1B, is that too much to ask...:oops:

ambientmind

Enlightened
Just my two cents....I think a neat idea for it would be to use a high CRI led for it like the seoul with 93 CRI to keep the incan fans happy (good color rendidtion, smooth beam, warm tint) but also give longer run times. I agree it would be nice to have a multi color led ring, maybe two diffused red, and a diffused white for pure low light flood.

H2Orower

Enlightened
What would you do with a brighter light? The A2 is plenty bright for almost all tasks...

Let's just say the A2 is plenty bright as is...what would be the disadvantage to having the same brightness while going from 60min runtime to approx. 11hrs runtime or more? Or, maybe increase brightness moderately while still also increasing runtime several times over. What's the disadvantage?

I understand that the current xenon is warmer than bright white LEDS, but I'm certain that SF could find a suitable warmer LED if they felt that was what the market demanded.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the reasons the A2 is so appealing is the incandescent high beam. If that were swapped for an LED beam I think I'd be far less interested in the A2. Not only do you get 2 brightness levels, and 2 light distribution levels (flood and spot), but you also get 2 completely different types of light.

Incandescent light is very good outdoors for colour rendition.

Some ideas of upgrades that surefire could do to the A2 without ruining it's uniqueness:
- possible 3 cell version with longer runtime
- replace LEDs with higher intensity, or even underdriven power LEDs
- try to further improve the efficiency of the incan regulator (it's already very efficient though)

Last edited:

loszabo

Enlightened
I want my LEDs in red... in a short horizontal row... in the center... scanning back and forth... on my black Trans Am.

:clap:

Okay, now something to spoil your weekend: SureFire will cancel several models and the UA2/UB2 will not be available before 2009... (They have just fired about 15 people.)

So, I guess asking for an updated A2 or incan is just a dream!

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want my LEDs in red... in a short horizontal row... in the center... scanning back and forth... on my black Trans Am.

LOL, sounds like my radar detector?

H2O, you wrote:

I understand that the current xenon is warmer than bright white LEDS, but I'm certain that SF could find a suitable warmer LED if they felt that was what the market demanded.

I am not a partisan either way on the LED/Incan debate that flares up from time to time here, but I will note that it's not a question of warmer/cooler per se (in my opinion). I have a wonderfully warm ML-1, but the emitter's output is still a spectral spike compared to the broader spectrum from an incan. Whether that's significant to you...I am personally agnostic and I remain that way even after testing LED throwers against incan throwers under both clear and hazy/foggy conditions, but others feel strongly about this. FWIW...

wuyeah

Enlightened
I actually just want Surefire to sell their A2 Bezel in different color separately!
I just would like to change color if i want to but buying several A2s for their color is ridiculous.

I am sure if they do that, the bezel might sell more than just A2s. I believe a lot of ppl out there are holding themselves back like me for a long time.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mm, I understand why it would have to be the entire bezel. I was thinking about them just selling LED rings, but people would lose the screws or overtighten them.

Carpenter

Enlightened

:lolsign:

I really don't understand why every light on the market can only be better if it has an LED in it that can compete with the sun for both brightness and runtime.

As many of us know, you can't please every flashaholic with just one make of light. I personally EDC a L1 or E1B since it is two level and 1 cell, however there is something to be said for using an E1E. While it can't compete in this day and age, there is still something satisfying when I use it. It has a very new bulb that shines as white as it can. It's not the brightest, but I have other lights (see my sig) for that purpose.

Remember that while some other manufacturers just keep making lights that are brighter, SF makes each light with a specific purpose in mind. While some of us (mostly us flash light nuts) believe that this light (whatever model) would be so much better with "X" instead of what it has now, that isn't the opinion that SF gets from the people that are still buying the light with the stock incan bulb and LED's at full price.

If you want to modify the A2 or any other SureFire light because it should be whiter or the beam should be 100% clean or it needs to throw farther or come close to competing with the sun, :grin2: then talk to one of the modders on this or any other light forum to see if your idea can be done.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Okay, now something to spoil your weekend: SureFire will cancel several models and the UA2/UB2 will not be available before 2009... (They have just fired about 15 people.)
So, I guess asking for an updated A2 or incan is just a dream!
I think it's better to cancel models rather than keeping people waiting for them.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the original poster, strictly in the good sense of the word you need to be enlightened about the A2. The A2 is already perfect and does not need to be refined. You already have one, and I´m sure that this review of the light will make you enjoy your light even more

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107943

You will appreciate the A2 for what it is and will no longer want any modifications for it. Sure, there is newer technology out, but other flashlights are out too. There is only so much that can be squeezed out of regulated incandescent color temperature from 2 cr 123´s. If you want slightly more, you can try to find a Fivemega Strion set or a slightly brighter incandescent lamp from Lumens factory specially for the A2.
I encourage you to read that great review by Jim Sexton, it will be worth your while.

H2Orower

Enlightened
Wow!, you A2 veterans are extremely protective of your baby, aren't you? :) Your points are well taken.

The more I think about it and research it, perhaps that K2 Kroma is on to something... Multiple LED colors, primary LED high beam, TIR optic. Again, I think the 50lumens/1.5hr runtime needs improvement, but it appears that there is more of a chance for that then there is for an updated A2, based on your responses here.

Perhaps, I should have titled the thread:
Hey Surefire!, where's the new Kroma? :grin2:

LED61 - Thanks for the A2 review link. I did read that post a while back, but now that I'm in the A2 Club myself, I will enjoy reading it again.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!, you A2 veterans are extremely protective of your baby, aren't you? :) Your points are well taken.

The more I think about it and research it, perhaps that K2 Kroma is on to something... Multiple LED colors, primary LED high beam, TIR optic. Again, I think the 50lumens/1.5hr runtime needs improvement, but it appears that there is more of a chance for that then there is for an updated A2, based on your responses here.

Perhaps, I should have titled the thread:
Hey Surefire!, where's the new Kroma? :grin2:

LED61 - Thanks for the A2 review link. I did read that post a while back, but now that I'm in the A2 Club myself, I will enjoy reading it again.

There you go, couldn´t agree with you more on the Kroma. I own one myself and we could have better output and runtime with the newer LED´s. But we´re getting off topic here.

wuyeah

Enlightened
K2 still can't compete with A2's physical design....K2's head is too big and body is bigger too. (many are fine carrying U2 & K2) but in direct comparison A2's body size is more pleasant to carry. Yes, i would say "where is new K2?" seriously it doesn't need that many red & blue LEDs. Narrow down to 6, 3 per color might work, but it still carry that twist neck will make it bigger.....

A2's over all spec design really is ultimate!

H2Orower

Enlightened
K2 still can't compete with A2's physical design....K2's head is too big and body is bigger too. (many are fine carrying U2 & K2) but in direct comparison A2's body size is more pleasant to carry. Yes, i would say "where is new K2?" seriously it doesn't need that many red & blue LEDs. Narrow down to 6, 3 per color might work, but it still carry that twist neck will make it bigger.....

A2's over all spec design really is ultimate!

Very true. I agree. And that's why I would prefer to see the A2 updated, but, like someone has said, maybe that's just a dream.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean. You're saying redesign the K2 with a smaller, more compact head to essentially make it an updated multi-colored A2? That would be cool in my book.

Last edited:

wuyeah

Enlightened
Very true. I agree. And that's why I would prefer to see the A2 updated, but, like someone has said, maybe that's just a dream.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean. You're saying redesign the K2 with a smaller, more compact head to essentially make it an updated multi-colored A2? That would be cool in my book.

Yeah, that is exactly what i was saying. cut down the size and unnecessary small LEDs will make K2 more perfect. As A2 (back to original thread) I agree with you, the run time is not up to the match against newer lights. I don't think the light itself should be brighter but if it can last longer truly will be great. Talking about longer the battery life, less the battery waste. Good way to go GREEN. But...most important, I don't think its possible to be done with incandescent.