Hey Surefire!,where's the new A2?

H2Orower

Enlightened
As far as what form the A2L should take, I'm still not exactly sure. I'm a big fan of the E1B beam. A similar beam in the center of an A2 would catch my attention...and wallet :).

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say whether something on my Surefire wish list would be good for Surefire or not. I'm just wishing based on what I want in a light, without any false hope that my wish will be fulfilled, except by coincidence. The way I see it, Surefire has two things that can't be cranked out at half the price in China, 1) Surefire's reputation for overall quality 2) pure white regulated incandescent light and a soft start like you get from the A2. I'd like to see more lights with regulated incandescent light, but not a replacement for the A2.

I think I'd prefer a more floody beam than the E1B. The (hypothetical) A2L should probably use a reflector, not only for the smoother beam, but also so that the secondary LEDs can be inside, rather than around an optic.

turbodog

Flashaholic
You're probably right, only about a dozen of those tailcaps here and no problems yet, but that's too small a number to reach any conclusions. :laughing:

Your ignorance is showing. Try doing some reading first. SF has had, and continues to have serious defect levels in practically all their tailcaps. The worse are the clicky (in all sizes) and the a2.

You've had better luck than most and that's good for you. I have had worse than most (tailcaps: 3 failed a2, 1 failed u2, 2 failed e2 series). I am not posting this out of my own experiences. I am posting because it IS a widespread, known issue.

To make an assumption based on just one's own experiences would be presumptive. To state a known fact...... that's another thing.

There was a survey done on SF tailcaps. A LOT of cpf responded, and IIRC the final tally was that about 30-40% of SF tailcaps died within 1 week. I searched but can't find the thread. Wait, check that......

Edits:

SF tailcap survey thread

thread on u2 chronic tailcap failure

general thread on sf tailcap failure

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your ignorance is showing. Try doing some reading first. SF has had, and continues to have serious defect levels in practically all their tailcaps. The worse are the clicky (in all sizes) and the a2.

You've had better luck than most and that's good for you. I have had worse than most (tailcaps: 3 failed a2, 1 failed u2, 2 failed e2 series). I am not posting this out of my own experiences. I am posting because it IS a widespread, known issue.

To make an assumption based on just one's own experiences would be presumptive. To state a known fact...... that's another thing.

There was a survey done on SF tailcaps. A LOT of cpf responded, and IIRC the final tally was that about 30-40% of SF tailcaps died within 1 week. I searched but can't find the thread.

Edits:

thread on u2 chronic tailcap failure

The latest generation of Z57/Z61 & Z58/Z59 are vastly improved. I'll bet Surefire got tired of mailing out replacement tailcaps.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edited typo.. never meant to imply that there was anything wrong with the Z48/Z49 ever. It's always been a good switch.

carrot

Flashaholic
What about the Kroma? Isn't that a LED A2? I'd tend to think so. It has a throwy center beam and various selections for floody outputs.

What about the Kroma? Isn't that a LED A2? I'd tend to think so. It has a throwy center beam and various selections for floody outputs.

It's certainly not, It's an optic with a ring of LEDs around the outside. It has a wider head than the A2, and a more complicated UI, not to mention >$100 more. The "A2L" would have only one level of light with either the coloured or primary LEDs.

H2Orower

Enlightened
If the Kroma could be redesigned with a significantly smaller/compact head, then yes, I would consider it as a legitimate alternative to a new A2 LED Aviator. In it's current form though, I view the K2 as a little bit too big and "clumsy" to be a substitute for the A2L.

mwaldron

Enlightened
My new A2's in the mail! I just bought it over at BST, it's my 4th, my 2nd '4 flats' A2.

Oh wait, you mean a redesigned product that has the same features as the A2 but changes.... what?

The A2 is a unique light. What one thing could you change that wouldn't turn it into a light that is already on the market?

The ONLY thing I can think of is a brighter incandescent beam, and we have that option now thanks to Lumens Factory. Maybe bug FM for a new Strion run.

Multiple colors? That's the Kroma, and why? Most people seem very polarized on what the "correct" color for the A2 is. I bought a K2-MS, it's a neat light but it sits on my shelf. The head (required for multiple colors of LEDs) is too large to be carried daily IMO. That selector ring is awesome though, maybe an A2 with RGB LEDs and a Kroma selector ring for the rave-ers out there... :twothumbs

Change the main beam to an LED? Why? Surefire's high output LED lights only run for an hour, just about the same as the A2 and I get better CRI with my A2. Besiddes, we have numerous options if we want a 2-level LED light.

Smaller with LED: L1/E1B...

I think the A2 fills a great compromise. I have my red one (4 flats) on my nightstand for night use, I carry my white one (GS/Strion) whenever I'm in jeans (aka not at work). I have a UV one for fun (there was a practical reason but it didn't work out. WTB 3x370nm 5mm UV LEDs PM plz). I love the ability to have a floody white LED and a puncy incandescent in 1 package.

My GF told me last night she really wants an A2 because she likes my white one.

Unfortunately she also old me she doesn't like the LED light I gave her because it's too blue (am I rubbing off?)... Sigh, good job I ordered many extra GS LEDs. She's getting my EDC White one once my new 4-flats arrives and I swap the bulb (I love her, but she's NOT getting my Strion kit). Now where are those onion rings, I seem to need to make a new A2 mod...

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huge improvements in Li-ion technology are possibly around the corner. With talk of 40 hour laptop batteries and nano technology improving the energy density of silicone wires in Li-ions, we could possibly see a pair of RCR123 batteries powering the A2 incandescent for 8 hours a charge. I imagine then the A2 will be discontinued by the time these become available, but A2's will be at a premium on BST because it is one of the few regulated incandescents that soft-start the bulb and could work with Li-ions with that much power. E2e's, 6Ps, G2's, and all the others would probably instaflash. I currently run RCR123's in my A2's and only get 30 minutes. I'm looking forward to an improvement in batteries more than an improvement in the A2.

Last edited:

H2Orower

Enlightened
...Change the main beam to an LED? Why? Surefire's high output LED lights only run for an hour, just about the same as the A2...

Perhaps if you're talking about the single cell Surefires that's near true, but two cell lights like the A2L would be significantly longer. The 60 lumen E2L is 11hrs. And even the latest L5 is 100 lumen for 5hrs advertised.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the A2 needs is a rechargable option (it probably exists)

R123s work fine with the incan, thanks to the driver.

They overdrive and can degrade the LED ring, however. On the other hand, the onion ring is also regulated, and can be dialed up or down to whatever drive level you like... plus the sockets mean you can ride whatever wave of high-efficiency/high-CRI 5mms you can find.

Huge improvements in Li-ion technology are possibly around the corner. With talk of 40 hour laptop batteries and nano technology improving the density of silicone wires in Li-ions, we could possibly see a pair of RCR123 batteries powering the A2 incandescent for 8 hours a charge. I imagine then the A2 will be discontinued by the time these become available, but A2's will be at a premium on BST because it is one of the few regulated incandescents that soft-start the bulb and could work with Li-ions with that much power. E2e's, 6Ps, G2's, and all the others would probably instaflash. I currently run RCR123's in my A2's and only get 30 minutes. I'm looking forward to an improvement in batteries more than an improvement in the A2.

Actually, as long as they keep the same voltage, all you need to worry about is current. And, well, voltage drop. With that not taken into account, I suspect that li-ion optimized bulbs from Lumens Factory will still be answering the call, and for people who want to use the new secondary cells in old lights, a SF223A sized li-ion plus regulator module will be available all over. Also, 123a sized drop-in regulators will let you run a 6P bulb in a 9p body (okay, 6p + Detonator) and a similarly improved 6R will be introduced by Surefire.

And my Malkoff will happily chew on whatever nano-RCR123 cells I can feed it.

Also, what about an A-MT? You've all seen the E-MT, the A-MT could be downright stupid-simple - it doesn't need any smarts, just one resistor and a Rebel. After all, all of the regulation electronics is already present in the light. Just need to bridge it to the LED with the proper voltage -- does anyone know what the A2 runs at in regulation?

Latest posts