Hey Surefire!,where's the new A2?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is the only incandescent I would like to have.
I always wanted a good incan, but have been sideswiped by LEDs.

It'll be awhile before they update the A2, I think. Maybe replace the incan with a small HID, as technology progresses or update the LEDs.

If anything I think the Kroma is more due for an update (Lux III).

I can imagine a HID Aviator, and it makes me all happy and warm inside.

I can also imagine a drop-in E-MT style LED conversion using a Rebel 100. If not officially, then fan-created - all it needs is a resistor to drop the voltage to one that the LED will tolerate, should play nicely with the current regulator circuit, IMHO.

But really, what I'd do to the A2? The A3 would have snow/SMJ/ warm-white Nichia GS LEDs and a small trim pot to adjust LED output, and a 2-5 watt HID with no warmup delay and hot-restrike capability. Basically, you get the same spectrum without spikes, at a higher CCT - with longer lasting bulbs that are more energy efficient. As the A2 is probably 80 real-world lumens (I've seen 77 bandied about in integrating-sphere tests) they could kick it up to 100ish and still extend runtime.

loszabo

Enlightened
Now let us be honest: what ever you change at A2, will result in a new Kroma gen. 2 or something like a "Kroma light" (1 primary & 3 secondary LEDs). The only "upgrade" could be a LED drop-in for the Incan bulb, which is only a dream right now. In addition those three LEDs could easily be replaced by one, single LED today. A2's three LEDs were used in a time, when LEDs where not able to output that much compared to incans. Makes no sense to me, therefore go back to the START field.

So, here is my suggestion: no new A2 for the moment!

Better would be a Kroma "gen. 2" with a brighter primary LED. That would be reasonable to do in terms of production planning, etc.

Last, but not least SureFire starts to "distance" itself from the A2:

But not everyone needs this much selection. The Aviator, which provides two beam patterns at two separate output levels, is SureFire's simpler, lower-tech solution.

P.S.: The helmet-light is an excellent replacement for the A2! :whistle:

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an idea for the A3. Steady and pure incandescent white light is the soul of the A2. Keep the awesome A2 incan bulb with the same flat regulation and soft start. Remove the old LEDs from the reflector, and put in a reflector that is exactly the same, except that it does not have holes for the removed LEDs. Second, place the latest, greatest Cree on the side of the head. This could be done without having to make the light longer. The Cree on the side could not have any reflector at all. It would be a pure flood light. The A2's head pokes out when it is clipped in pants or a shirt pocket, so the A3 could be used a hands free flood light. It could have a regulated, hands free, Cree LED that could be longer running, brighter or both. One other benefit, this light would not need to tail stand, it could provide light from a much more stable position flat on it's side.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem with that is it kinda defeats the point of the awesome throttle-button power switch, which is half the appeal of the Aviator.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem with that is it kinda defeats the point of the awesome throttle-button power switch, which is half the appeal of the Aviator.
Good point. I suppose you could keep the toggle button power switch, and have the low be the lower lumen flood beam pointed at the floor or ceiling. With no reflector, a Cree puts out an even beam in almost every direction. If a flood light for close up objects was not what you wanted, you could press the throttle button all the way down and get the incan beam for more distant objects. This way you would have immediate access to both momentary and constant on light for both the flood LED low, and the focused incan high.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what about using bezel-mounted Rebel floods, instead of Nichia reflector-holes? You could crank it up to one hell of an area light if need be, but driven at sane currents, such an array would be really efficient. I really like the ability to have the high beam on tap, aimed at the same thing I'm already looking at.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what about using bezel-mounted Rebel floods, instead of Nichia reflector-holes? You could crank it up to one hell of an area light if need be, but driven at sane currents, such an array would be really efficient. I really like the ability to have the high beam on tap, aimed at the same thing I'm already looking at.
That could be good too. I think McGizmo built some like that. I don't think more than one Cree, or Rebel would be needed for a low level.

Retinator

Enlightened
Wattage of the P60, incan right?

I'm gonna guess between 5 & 6 watts.
The U2 at 100 lumens will eat a set of 123a's in about an hr, driven at 1 full amp (roughly)

So 60 lumens for 60 mins (declining), same runtime, similar draw should be around the old 5W Lux V.

That's my guess anyways.

The P60L led, I think runs around 2 watts.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Clickie - :thumbsdow YMMV (and obviously does, which is fine!) In my opinion, the "accelerator pedal" tailcaps on the L1/L2/A2 are totally foolproof, both in terms of use and in terms of durability.

You just haven't seen enough tailcaps. The same old complaints keep popping up about the a2 cap......

I went through 3 a2 caps on 2 lights.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is the only incandescent I would like to have.
I always wanted a good incan, but have been sideswiped by LEDs.

It'll be awhile before they update the A2, I think. Maybe replace the incan with a small HID, as technology progresses or update the LEDs.

If anything I think the Kroma is more due for an update (Lux III).

I think it will be quite a long time before an HID ballast fits where the A2's lamp assembly does. :D

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
K2 still can't compete with A2's physical design....K2's head is too big and body is bigger too. (many are fine carrying U2 & K2) but in direct comparison A2's body size is more pleasant to carry. Yes, i would say "where is new K2?" seriously it doesn't need that many red & blue LEDs. Narrow down to 6, 3 per color might work, but it still carry that twist neck will make it bigger.....

A2's over all spec design really is ultimate!

Yes, the perfect size, that's why I carry one as a backup at work at night. With a few aftermarket parts it is like a high performance race car. I have removed the plastic lanyard ring, installed the short pocket clip, oregonshooter's knurled tailguard, two AW RCR123a's with the labels peeled and an unfrosted A2-HO lamp assembly from Lumens Factory. The LED ring will probably be the next thing upgraded when Koala gets the onion rings up for sale.

It is brighter than the Streamlight Stinger XT (fully charged) I use as primary and about a third the size.

Last edited:
H2Orower
I brought up the same point a while back and got much the same response.

I agree that the A2 needs an update, whether SureFire is currently working to improve incans or not is irrelevant. It doesn't even need to replace the current A2!

If SureFire made a new light, and called it the A2L for instance, basically an A2 with a high-power LED main beam, and coloured LED ring, I would buy one right away. It should have the same UI, slight press for dim, coloured light, hard press for bright white light. I've wanted an A2 for many years, but I've been phasing out my incans, and barely use the few I have remaining. Every time I turn them on, I feel like I'm wasting energy.

LEDs are a huge achievement, and they have benefits for all kinds of lighting roles. I don't need to explain their benefits here, you should all be fully aware. I understand the benefits of incandescent, and I think SureFire should continue to offer incandescent lights. That's not to say that they shouldn't offer the choice to those who want it.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
H2Orower
but I've been phasing out my incans, and barely use the few I have remaining. Every time I turn them on, I feel like I'm wasting energy.

Oh man!!!! :whistle:

The whole full LED A2 thing.. I just don't get it. But I'm sure it will continue to be requested. :shrug:

LED's are so incredibly super-duper efficient, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.. why does one need more than one type in the same light?

I mean one high flux LED should take care of all your needs. Why bother with the 5mm's... they were never originally spec'd to be anything other than indicator lights in the first place, they have no heatsinking. LED's are so incredibly efficient anyways, why not use the high powered ones exclusively, they can run for 8 years on one battery so they say... :party: If you need low you can always use some cool new multi-click UI that will give you a range of .1 lumens to 10 lumens in 59 increments.

:huh:

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
NO THANK YOU!

The A2 is perfect the way it is. If I wanted a LED A2 I would buy a Lunasol... oh wait, that IS the plan.

The A2 is in my pack right now, waiting to hiking with me. I wouldn't change a thing.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just haven't seen enough tailcaps. The same old complaints keep popping up about the a2 cap......

I went through 3 a2 caps on 2 lights.

You're probably right, only about a dozen of those tailcaps here and no problems yet, but that's too small a number to reach any conclusions. :laughing:

why does one need more than one type in the same light?

Why bother with the 5mm's... they were never originally spec'd to be anything other than indicator lights in the first place, they have no heatsinking.

Same reason the Kroma has them....different colours. Like red, for instance, or blue, or even green...

The A2 is perfect the way it is. ... I wouldn't change a thing.

Neither would I, I like the A2 the way it is, I just wouldn't buy one. I said SF should make a NEW light, based on the A2, but with a more efficient LED main beam. Same size/UI/everything, but able to run a lot longer. Why would it be a bad thing to not have to change batteries as often?

H2Orower

Enlightened
As I continue to think about this, I say, let the market decide. Let the consumer decide. And, by that, I don't mean take a count of how many people on threads like this say "It's perfect",or "Don't change a thing", vs. "Yeah, put in a LED". I mean, make a Surefire A2 LED, just as they already have with plenty of other SF classics that were equally loved by their loyal admirers, and see which one sells over the long run. I'm confident that SF is keeping very close track of the sales trends with the 6P vs. 6P LED, E2DL vs. E2D, Z2 vs. Z2L, etc. I know who I would put my money on. :)

Latest posts