How many states have you visited? Your favorite? Still want to see?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

Landed at Logan and drove to Newport, RI for some training.

It was really interesting visiting Newport, as that is where the people that founded the area where I grew up in Nova Scotia came from in the mid to late 1700s.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.
Not sure about some of the southern states, I think I did a road trip thru there when I was very young but have zero recollection of most of it so I'm not counting them.
So ~28 for me so far.

Favorite? Oregon
Though I like certain parts of California, Washington & Utah.

I'd like to get to all of them eventually. I'd love to get out to Hawaii one day to see the volcanoes and see the telescopes. There is a lo of history in the south as well as the Northeast that I'd like to go play tourist with. Some nice national parks I've yet to get to in the midwest.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Counting places I have just been through and adding MA I forgot...it's 30 states. That's not counting Washington DC which I have also visited. I never did clearly answer the other part. I will say Maine was my favorite to visit. Hawaii and Alaska probably top the list of states I still want to see. Counting territories either Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands would be nice places to visit too.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A grand total of two (New York and California).

But then I live in the UK, so it's not too bad :)

I've been to California twice, New York once. NY was nice to see, to do all the touristy things and have a brief look around, but I prefer California.

Regards,
Tempest

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I travel a lot for business, so I've been to most of the states in the US. Some states I've been, but didn't get to spend too much time. My favorite ... hmmm .... difficult to say:

(1) Hawaii - absolutely gorgeous place ... I want to retire there
(2) Colorado - snowboarding
(3) Utah - snowboarding
(4) California - snowboarding
(5) Vermont - snowboarding ... you get the point

The state I want to go ... Alaska. I want to snowboard down one of the mountains one of these days.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Was born/raised in Kansas, seen Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Hawaii, now live in California.

Hawaii is definitely my fave, though California runs a close second (the majority of Pacific Coast Highway).

I'll have to conquer the east next, though I've been in Cali for six years now and have still only seen fractions of it, so much to see here..

swampgator

Enlightened
Florida (born and raised=home)
Alabama (spent 6 months in training)
Texas (stationed 2 1/2 years)
Georgia (couples times for training, a few weeks each time)
South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Mississippi, Louisana

By far I've enjoyed TX, OK, LA, NM the most. Different things about each. New Mexico, loved the terrain and the openess. Texas, well, it's Texas! Louisana, the food and accents.

Still would like to see the Pacific Northwest. Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and possibly the NE. Maine seems like a nice place.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Not a single US state, but I've been to the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Germany, Austria, England and Denmark :)

Definately planning on visiting the US some day tho. But I don't know yet what states I'll be visiting. Probably as many as possible :D

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun thread. I've spent time in every state except for Alaska. I've lived in Maryland, Delaware, Minnesota, California, Alabama, Arizona, Ohio, and Hawai'i.

My favorite: too hard to say. I've loved nearly every single state I've visited. I guess my favorite is Hawai'i.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately planning on visiting the US some day tho. But I don't know yet what states I'll be visiting. Probably as many as possible :D

Gives us some more time with high gas prices for trains to make a comeback if you want to visit a lot of states. Public transportation is horrible outside of big cities, although the eastern seaboard does much better because of higher population. Plan carefully to get your score up :D

katsyonak

Enlightened
New York, Florida, Pennsylvania, Maryland and (although it's not a state) Washington, D.C.
I really loved and had a very good time in all of them, but New York and Florida are the most memorable.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
35 states.

I was born in Massachusetts. In the early 80s, the MA high-tech field (where my dad worked) was getting slimmer and slimmer as far as job availability so my dad started to send his resume to California and got hired on a real sweet gig in winter of '82 in Woodland Hills.

I turned 9 in the spring of '83, and by that time my dad was working in Cali while me, my baby sis and my mom were just finishing freezing our butts in Mass while the house was being sold. Of course, it was a buyer's market, so the house was on the market for a while, about six months if I recall.

By that time my dad found us a family-sized place to live so he flew back to Mass to come get the fam. The Mayflower truck took all the big stuff, and our then-new Chrysler K-car was packed to the gills for the week's adventure of driving from Massachusetts to California!

Of course, I HAD CHICKENPOX!!

But it was still a great trip. We made it as far as Ohio on the first day. It was the end of May, so this was still sort of a National Lampoon's Summer Vacation type deal... the big white dad, little Vietnamese mother, the surly boy with chickenpox in the back seat hahaha. We actually burned an entire day in Missouri to see the arch, which was neat.

My dad had me keep a mileage log. I'd periodically check the odo, record the mileage, date, time and location. IIRC, our average speed (including sleep and breaks) was about 17 mph... covered wagon speed! The 88 horsepower, 2.2 liter engine in the K got about 37 mpg on average, but that didn't really matter because gasoline was like 99 cents a gallon, except Missouri where it was like 75 cents. Imagine my surprise when I saw the California gas prices in the $1.25 range. We actually drove several miles once to save 1 cent per gallon because we had almost no cash.

It was also my first time in Arizona/Nevada desert heat. Our car had no a/c and vinyl seats. As a 9 year old that was brought up in Massachusetts, the heat in Arizona was difficult to believe. We stopped at this cafe in Middle of Nowhere, NV for dinner. Afteward I stood in the parking lot facing the hot, dry wind, feeling it suck the moisture right out of my lips, completely incredulous. Oh, and while in the cafe I was convinced I knew the secret to winning at slot machines because I spent the last hour watching the old folks play. I *swear* I noticed that if you pulled the handle a certain way, you win!!

To this day the road trip is one of my favorite things to do when I have the time!!

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I'm a Chicago native and still live here. Been to 45 states either on business or car camping. Still need to visit Hawaii, South Dakota, South Carolina, Delaware, Arkansas.

Favorite is Alaska. Spent 20 months as a medical lab tech with the 64th Field Hospital at Fort Richardson near Anchorage. Northern lights, midnight sun, glaciers, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams. Push starting my old Volvo at 30 below zero. 70 pound cabbages at the state fair. Towns on the Kenai Peninsula. Active volcanoes spouting ash. Occasional earth tremors. Learning to ski. Avoiding moose on the highway. Riding the Alaska Railroad also known as the "Moose Gooser." It is as it's motto says, "The Last Frontier."

CLHC

Flashaholic
Not counting the state I was born/raised in (Hawaii); Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Colorado. The other two (2) states hoping to visit within the next year or so are Ari[d]zona and Florida. By the way, does California count since I've lived there for 22+ years and now here in the Evergreen State of Washington? = 6, 7(?) States and counting. . .:wave:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a single US state, but I've been to the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Germany, Austria, England and Denmark :)

That's about equal to driving across the state of Vermont isn't it.:poke:

Just kidding Coop. Hope you can take a joke. I would love to see the places you've seen. Especially the Netherlands, France, Germany, and Austria.

Bill

craigberesh

Newly Enlightened
I beeen to 43 diferent states. Been to most of them more then once. Hard to pick a favorite. I like Hawaii or Montana

kramer5150

Flashaholic
California (home sweet home)
Hawaii
Vermont
Illinios
Ohio
Michigan
Nevada
North Carolina
Minnesota
Indiana
Washington state

Ive had numerous stop overs but those don't really count.

My fave is Hawaii... by a land slide. Can't beat the locally caught yellow-fin tuna MMmm.

Surprise second was Vermont. I went snow boarding in Stowe, incredible part of the country. Its like walking back through time in US history. The bed/breakfast inns, and converted hunting lodges there are like nothing I've ever seen, and the pace of life is completely backwards from the SF bay area. Probably the most relaxing place I've ever been to, besides Hi. I remember I toured the Ben and Jerrys factory and the guide surveyed his group... I got a lot of Oohs when I told people I was from CA.

Friendliest people I found were in Indiana... SOOO polite and courteous and everyone greeted me with a Smile. The locally grown beef in that part of the state is INCREDIBLE, the flavor, texture... Grilled over wood fire MMmm. I think Indiana has the biggest eaters of all the states I went too. Everyone starts their day with a doughnut or 2 and coffee and ends it with a 20 Oz steak, corn and home made biscuits with apple butter. I had a hard time getting used to all the cigarette smoke though... :green::green::(:p

I'd love to visit Montana... spend some time on a ranch, sleeping out under the stars.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been to: Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California, Michigan, New York, and Hawaii.

Want to visit: All of them, but Alaska is definitely the big priority.

Favorite by far is Oregon(Where I live). With California, Michigan, and New York I was only there for a couple meetings and then off again, didn't see or do anything, so I don't have much of an opinion. Still get to Washington and Idaho fairly regularly, they're nice but nothing special to me. Hawaii was for a vacation, absolutely gorgeous but a complete disaster otherwise. Just too hot for me, won't go there again if I have any choice in the matter.

Once I retire(very soon) this list will change a lot.

:buddies:

Last edited: