How useful is the strike bezel?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a situation where you cannot avoid conflict (which is always the better option), without training, practice, and commitment, you are toast. No two ways about it. Know this as well, in the best of circumstances you should expect to be injured and suffer pain. If you are not prepared for this your concentration loss will give the edge to the other guy.

If you do not know how, are not able to do so without having to think about it, and are not very willing to defend yourself and inflict pain or worse upon an assailant, make sure your insurance papers and your will are in order, because at the very least you are about to be badly hurt. Even a gun in the hands of an untrained, unpracticed, and unwilling defender is often going to result in a very bad outcome. There are a lot of tombstones out there with the name Mr. Macho on them -- almost as many as with the name Mr. DoGooder.

Skip the strike bezel. Learn how to best react and deal with the "what-if's" as they pertain to what your abilities and willingness can do. Learning to be aware of your surroundings at all times is probably a whole lot better, easier, and safer for everyone. Being the fastest person on the planet to dial 911 can do a lot more good than trying to be an action hero.

houtex

Enlightened
I've have used a flashlight in a self-defense situation many times over the years with much success. Not running up behind someone and hitting them in the head but a straight confrontation.
This is a story about A GUY I KNOW who not too long ago was leaving his job. He saw a waitress he kinda knew from a bar next door standing by here car talking to 2 guys. SO HE TELLS ME as he looks away he hears her scream. When he looks back,she's on her back. She's struggling with one guy for her purse and the other guy is standing above her kicking her. My buddy runs over there,as he runs up he pulls his TK10 and lights them up to let them know he's coming. It works cause the first guy stops kicking her and takes an offensive stance. Before my buddy can really say anything Badguy 1 throws a punch,it misses and my bud lands a right,left, then hammer strike with the TK to the forehead of BG1.BG1 out cold. My bud turns to his left only to be hit in the side of the face by BG2. It's obvious Bg2 knows how to fight a little. My bud blast BG2 in the face with TK steps forward and to the left,left jab,right cross, Bg2 goes down but not out. A couple of kicks to the face and BG2 is felling it. Wouldn't you know it a cop just happens on the scene. Both Bg's get taken. And after details are hammered out cop takes info on where to buy Tk10. Turns out later one Bg was wanted for sexual assualt.
No strike bezels aren't for everyone but CAN help.
Any similarities to any persons in this STORY are purely coincidental.
I at first hesitated about telling this story, I don't want someone to think a flashlight is the tool to carry for self defense,it's not.
Get trained ,be aware ,not scared and above all avoid situations if you can.
I can already feel the heat of the flames.:crazy:

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...after details are hammered out cop takes info on where to by (sic) Tk10...

glad to see the officer had his priorities straight

hope this doesn't now turn into which brand flashlight can knock someone out better - Fenix or Surefire. [Note: this is intended to be a purely humorous comment; we need to laugh at ourselves sometimes]

LumenMan

Enlightened
glad to see the officer had his priorities straight

hope this doesn't now turn into which brand flashlight can knock someone out better - Fenix or Surefire. [Note: this is intended to be a purely humorous comment; we need to laugh at ourselves sometimes]

O.K. then. Does this mean that I'm better off with a Fenix P1D instead of a Surefire M6 Guardian to "subdue" a rowdy individual ? :poke::shakehead:hahaha::whoopin:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I got a surefire E2D defender today and was wondering how well the strike bezel really works?

If you did strike someone or thing, would it shatter the lens or are they designed to take impact?

I don't plan to smack anyone with it, but was wondering if it's advisable to do so?

thank you,
brett

Well theres only one way to find out really. Grab the E2D in your hand and jab it on your leg hard. Once you've done that come back onto this thread and post your results.

Steve

Patriot

Flashaholic
and a hammer fist give them too much chance to step inside your strike, or block it (or hit first). Though it MIGHT be handy if the attacker takes you to the ground and is an experienced ground fighter.

Oh and of course they make the light longer and uglier. :thumbsdow

It depends on so many factors though including what's in your other hand, if anything. A weak handed hammer fist grip with a good strike bezel could be quite effective at even preventing a take down in the first place. If your opponent went for a waist grab, whether or not getting past a primary weapon, he's exposed himself to some serious injury to the head, neck, collar bone (defender's weak side), and upper back. Also, sometimes the opponent or recognition of aggression is already inside of your strike zone due to the surroundings. We often pass people shoulder to shoulder in stairways, elevators and the like. Obviously someone with a clue wouldn't stand there against an opponent wielding a tire iron while sword gripping his E2D and square off with him. The strike bezel is a close in, last ditch, force amplifier which happens to be at the end of your high powered light and that's all! It's all about increasing your chances when the cards are down..so to speak.

I'm really wondering why there is a still a debate about whether or not a strike bezel would "make any difference." It's simple physics folks. When the surface area is reduced while applying the same force it's going to cause more damage to soft tissue and shallow underlying bone damage. Associated with that is often more pain and more bleeding.

Those who are interested in protecting themselves, know how to use a strike bezel and are not impeded by carrying one, should by all means consider the option to carry one. Sure, some with low self esteem will purchase a light with a strike bezel for the sole purpose of being a bigshot in front of his friends, but to say that they're only for mall ninjas isn't realistic. It's like saying "weapon lights are only for swat wantabe's" which isn't true either. Although training and practice is the most important thing to have, I believe that if even an unskilled defender only had a flashlight and nothing else, that his/her chances of defeating the threat would be raised, to some degree, if they had an aggressive strike bezel. Whether it's a knife, a strike bezel, teeth or finger nails, someone with a sharp instrument is a bigger threat, no matter how unskilled, than someone without anything. It's just a fact of nature and flesh.

PayBack

Enlightened
Well I guess due to the kind of training I've done, I'd personally be worse off holding a light, strike bezel or not. Regardless they should be optional so the 99.99% of people who don't want or need them have the option. And don't think that percentage is not accurate just because I'm biased lol.

we need to laugh at ourselves sometimes]

Speak for yourself, enough other people laugh at me that I don't need to. :(

;)

Last edited:

Aluminous

Enlightened
Well theres only one way to find out really. Grab the E2D in your hand and jab it on your leg hard. Once you've done that come back onto this thread and post your results.

Steve

What they do on Mythbusters sometimes is test weapons on animal carcasses (such as pig or deer). I think that would work pretty well for this. :)

It depends on so many factors though including what's in your other hand, if anything. A weak handed hammer fist grip with a good strike bezel could be quite effective at even preventing a take down in the first place. If your opponent went for a waist grab, whether or not getting past a primary weapon, he's exposed himself to some serious injury to the head, neck, collar bone (defender's weak side), and upper back. Also, sometimes the opponent or recognition of aggression is already inside of your strike zone due to the surroundings. We often pass people shoulder to shoulder in stairways, elevators and the like. Obviously someone with a clue wouldn't stand there against an opponent wielding a tire iron while sword gripping his E2D and square off with him. The strike bezel is a close in, last ditch, force amplifier which happens to be at the end of your high powered light and that's all! It's all about increasing your chances when the cards are down..so to speak.

I'm really wondering why there is a still a debate about whether or not a strike bezel would "make any difference." It's simple physics folks. When the surface area is reduced while applying the same force it's going to cause more damage to soft tissue and shallow underlying bone damage. Associated with that is often more pain and more bleeding.

Those who are interested in protecting themselves, know how to use a strike bezel and are not impeded by carrying one, should by all means consider the option to carry one. Sure, some with low self esteem will purchase a light with a strike bezel for the sole purpose of being a bigshot in front of his friends, but to say that they're only for mall ninjas isn't realistic. It's like saying "weapon lights are only for swat wantabe's" which isn't true either. Although training and practice is the most important thing to have, I believe that if even an unskilled defender only had a flashlight and nothing else, that his/her chances of defeating the threat would be raised, to some degree, if they had an aggressive strike bezel. Whether it's a knife, a strike bezel, teeth or finger nails, someone with a sharp instrument is a bigger threat, no matter how unskilled, than someone without anything. It's just a fact of nature and flesh.

Great post!

FredM

Enlightened
I think it might be marginally better than the normal Surefire bezel, it is not enough to make it worth it for EDC.

I like the E2DL but could live with the spikes being a little shorter.

Desertrat

Newly Enlightened
All the cops I work with and talk to, say they definitely will break a window or put a dent in a "perps" head.

Illum

Flashaholic
a user on the forum did this but I forgot who

Concerning the degree of the strike bezel several "legal" issues come to mind....A flashlight does not need a concealed weapon carry license...but if a flashlight is lethal....thats another story

U2VOODOO

Newly Enlightened
Without sounding cocky, maybe the strike bezel is just a little better than a standard bezel, and the fact that it may already be in your hand is possibly a slight advantage . As far as it being the best thing at hand, probably not. May just be enough of an advantage to escape, or slow someone down until you can secure a better weapon. YMMV.:thinking:

Patriot

Flashaholic
maybe the strike bezel is just a little better than a standard bezel, and the fact that it may already be in your hand is possibly a slight advantage . As far as it being the best thing at hand, probably not. May just be enough of an advantage to escape, or slow someone down until you can secure a better weapon. YMMV.:thinking:

Very sensible post! You've looked at the strike bezel as not being the best thing at hand and I agree but yeah, it is a great tool to have at the ready. The fact that it may already be in your hand is a huge advantage, especially in a situation where there's an escalation of force involved. I don't believe that most situations start off lethal, but can escalate into a life or death scenario quickly. I often wonder how an aggressive, non-lethal counter attack would prevent some situations from turning deadly. Most statistics show that non-hardened criminals often shy away strongly from determined resistance and would rather turn and run than risk injury or capture by authorities.

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
Dunno about you guys, but any improvised weapon is better than none in a situation calling for the need. I would question how one got in to the situation in the first place, though.

Some great SD practitioner advice here and won't add too much, only to say training is key in an SD situation, and that I have carried both a MiniKoga and E2D all over the world on business as insurance with basically zero second looks.

I've never had the light questioned, I only had to explain the koga once, in Chandigarh, India (up close to Pakistan, an "airport" that is really only a military base, staffed by regular, AK47-toting enlisted security...) I told the soldier it was a massage and pressure point tool for tired travelling muscles... and he became much more interested in my computer and ipod, on a personal level, asking me about them.

I value the "light" of the light as much or more than the teeth of the bezel.

I believe that ongoing training is key, but awareness is more key. If you avoid situations and make choices that will avoid putting you in a need for defending yourself, your personal safety goes up exponentially.

On the usefulness of the strike bezel, I do believe it could be very useful in the situation it was supposedly designed for, mostly cosmetic the rest of the time.

Oh - and someone said something about ground technique... if you do participate in a martial art or SD discipline, get some ground technique training. Some basic BJJ or katamewaza are good to know. Your TKD spinning back kick is sweet for getting a point and looking cool... but up close and personal on the ground a kata gatame and a few other simple grappling techniques can end a real fight...

Anyway, I like the strike bezel, but would not have it as my only option. If you're truly interested in SD and you buy a flashlight as the answer, um, yikes!

...and pi-stol jutsu trumps just about everything. :crazy: