Hurricane Irene...

nbp

Flashaholic
Max said:
In prep for Irene, my wife ran out on the Thursday before to buy some supplies in advance. I new that I had dozens of AA and AAA batteries handy, but I have an LED lantern and a battery-operated radio that run on D batteries, and I had no spares. So, I asked my wife to pick up some D batteries if she happens to see them.

She comes home with D batteries and two of those standard cheapo plastic 2D incandescent flashlights. She said she picked them up so that we'll have an extra flashlight just in case.

In my head, I'm thinking, "Do you have any idea how many flashlights we already have in this house?"

But, that's not the sort of thing you say out loud when you're preparing for a disaster. I barely flinched when she said, "I got good ones. They had these other ones in the store that were like $20 for a flashlight. I am not going to pay $20 for a flashlight!"

Thankfully, although many of our neighbors had flooding and lost power, we made it through with just a few momentary losses of power.

You've been here 10 years and your wife still doesn't know about your flashlight addiction? Oh you are good. :bow:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The oddest twist to hurricane Irene is that several hours after it had passed by certain parts of NYC with barely any physical damage done, Time Warner service went down for over two days. That includes cable, internet, and digital home phone service. The last being the worst for many elderly residents as more than some were now trapped in their homes with no way to contact loved ones for assistance. While you expect digital home phone service to go down if there's a blackout, it can go down as well if Time Warner's systems decide to act up. (Even several hours after a natural disaster has passed by an area with little damage done.)

Checking on elderly neighbors in one's building isn't always easy. Thankfully none in mine seem to have suffered badly. Regular phone service wasn't interrupted. And those who still have a dedicated land line were happy to help out those who didn't.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm back! Power's been on again for a good while, but didn't get a chance to post until now. 40 hours without electricity from 1:30 AM Sunday to 5:30 PM Monday. We were lucky... my brother, sister-in-law, and nephews are only a few blocks away, and still without power, as are friends around various parts of Long Island.

Pics or it didn't happen.
It didn't happen. :( Not enough water this side of the storm.

I soooo wanted to swim the street during a hurricane in the middle of the night! That would've been unique. The last time was just a major rainstorm during the day. However, no one else followed me in, so the title is still all mine. :devil:

I have pics of that day, but not of me in the water. I spotted your challenge shortly before the lights went out, so the plan to eliminate all doubt was duct taping a throw light to the front porch, pointing it toward the middle of the expected lake, setting up the camcorder, and waiting in the dark (well, not really... I am a flashaholic after all) until about 4 AM before giving up on any serious rain. Ate dinner, went to bed.

Everything that happens now becomes an assault. I'm embarrassed to see what New Yorkers are letting happen--these are the same people who lived through 9/11 ??? :party:
It's terrible. I'm embarrassed as well.

9/11? We were gone before that. :mad:

Posting this from m Scotch wearing me down...Minka dreams!y dorky cell.
Hahahaha... my personal favorite post of the thread.

BTW... Minka's pretty damn cute!

SyncSwim.jpg
LOL... sea foam free dreams!

Next post... my SHTF lights used during the apocalypse (group photo forthcoming), and how I entertained myself Sunday night/Monday morning before the novelty wore off.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I spotted your challenge shortly before the lights went out, so the plan to eliminate all doubt was duct taping a throw light to the front porch, pointing it toward the middle of the expected lake, setting up the camcorder, and waiting in the dark (well, not really... I am a flashaholic after all) until about 4 AM before giving up on any serious rain. Ate dinner, went to bed.

Valiant effort

wellplayed.jpg

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
We were out of town, and I am really sorry I missed this. My dad is a ham and has antennas all over the yard, and we have five cars in the driveway. Before we left, my dad said, "Everybody needs to put their keys on the dining room table, in the event the cars need to be moved."

"Cars need to be moved?" I asked, "Why would the cars need to be moved?"

"It's hurricane season," my dad said, "a car might need to be moved or repositioned if a major storm comes."

Well, we had fun making fun of him and his "super planning" attitude. :crazy:

My dad managed to get hold of one of this friends, and with his wife, was able to crank down the main antenna mast which was not damaged. The top of one tree sheared off and knocked one of his "X" shaped ham antennas, and another large limb fell down over our beautiful tomato and lettuce garden. A medium limb fell directly in front of my car, just missing the hood and windshield, while the other four cars were all unscathed. Tons of leaves and some smaller twigs litter the property, and there is a giant limb in the front of the yard where we place the garbage cans, though we have no idea how it got there or where it came from.

Though I am glad the house and cars were not damaged, I am sad to have missed this event. I love watching the radar, watching storms, losing power, seeing the barometer fall before my eyes, and witnessing nature's power. I hope everyone who sustained damage can afford to fix it, and I hope those areas of New York, Connecticut, Vermont, and New Jersey that were so completely devastated get things back together as best they can.

I'm off to help clean things now. :)

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm back! Power's been on again for a good while, but didn't get a chance to post until now. 40 hours without electricity from 1:30 AM Sunday to 5:30 PM Monday. We were lucky... my brother, sister-in-law, and nephews are only a few blocks away, and still without power, as are friends around various parts of Long Island.

Was your neighborhood the one on the news, the one that the President of L.I.P.A. visited?

I thought the residents were going to skin him alive. The only thing the angry mob of residents didn't have were pitch forks and old fashioned fire-on-a-stick torches. I noticed he got out of there pretty quickly after just a handful of remarks from residents while the news cameras were rolling. He declined to mention if he'd be visiting other neighborhoods that day, when asked by a news reporter. One resident said it best when she mentioned that the only reason the workers and clean-up crews were there is because he was there. "When you're not here, they're not here either."

A nice P.R. move that clearly backfired. He retreated to the safety of his office.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wunderground is a nice site. I also like using http://www.stormpulse.com/atlantic when these hurricanes come up. Turn on all the display options, and you see a lot of interesting details.

Those two are the exact same "go to" sites I check frequently for weather data, with the only tweak being that I prefer http://classic.wunderground.com/ to the new version. I love stormpulse, and wish I had a screenshot of Irene over the mid-Atlantic.

Never fear, Katia's here
(landfall is doubtfull)...but hurricane season doesn't end until November 30th.

Yeah, looks like Katia will be staying out at sea. However, it sure is true we have plenty of time for more interesting weather to make its way here before things calm down.

You have five cars??? I don't even have five flashlights. Well ..... barely.
How many flashlights in each car ?

Each member of the family has one car, and there are five of us. :)

I have a glow in the dark Pelican 2440 in my car with Energizer lithiums, and the other people are still in need of good car lights.

I lost power on Sunday at 7 a.m. and I still don't have it :(

S1LVA

What state are you in?

Last edited:

S1LVA

Enlightened
I am in RI.
Day 5 of no power. We do have city water so we can flush.

Off to take another cold shower and start the day.

S1LVA

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lost power for 2.5 hours this afternoon while picking up Irene's mess. Branches and twigs and logs all over the yard. Got lots of mud between my toes (very pleasurable summer feeling) and felt good about the lifting and dragging. I am guessing that they cut power in order to restore electricity to a particular section. Power came on in time for supper. Keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Katia.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thirteen Vermont communities were completely cut off from the rest of the world as a result of the flooding that resulted from Tropical Storm Irene. There have been some great stories emerging about citizens taking matters into their own hands rather than waiting for the the authorities to arrive. Makeshift bridges have been built, access roads have been dozed and leveled without waiting around for some bureaucrat to issue permits that would otherwise be required and people have been gathering for daily community meals made with items from their gardens and thawing freezers. Anyone who's lived around here long enough knows this is the classic Yankee Vermonter spirit that one sees at times like this. One town has no electricity or cell or land line telephone but one resident has been able to use his generator and satellite internet service to connect with the outside via email and Facebook and he has become something akin to the town telegraph office. In another town a local gallery owner took inventory of who in town needed medications and coordinated with a medical center miles away to get prescriptions delivered on foot, bicycle and all-terrain vehicle. A guy delivered medicine by fording the Williams River on horseback where it flooded out Route 103 in the town of Rockingham.

Here's the video.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip, Lux, as I never noticed that button before. Does that mean the majority of the current models have Katia coming to the East Coast? Are there probability or percentages assigned to each route?