**I don't care for the extra features of the LS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: **I don\'t care for the extra features of the L

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Here are some features in the LS4 I would consider to be not "extra" features.

- Higher conversion efficiency makes the light brighter and longer burning on the same battery
- Shorter housing makes the light easier to carry and weigh less
- New switch is more reliable and lower profile
- Reflector produces a smoother beam with no farkle
- Replaceable lens can be field serviced
- More waterproof

Keep in mind, I am currently planning on charging only $20 extra for these features.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
- Reflector produces a smoother beam with no farkle

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the beam improvement significant enough to justify the increased bezel diameter? I really hate to see the LS getting thicker. Personally, I find the optics to work pretty good, a nice mix of spot and flood.

But of course if the beam is truly improved then the increased size may balance out.

Pat

Tomas

Banned

Uh, the head has a larger diameter than the current LS's?

I think I missed that. Hmmmmmmm ...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

LS4 will have a 1 inch diameter head. I think my KL1 head diameter is 1". Bill

paulr

Flashaholic

If I understood correctly, the LS4 head will be the same diameter as the current LS, but the tail will be a little thinner.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill is correct, it is increasing to 1".

I think the tail is staying the same (Peter said the packs would be "necked down").

Pat

SUREFARC

Enlightened

Only 1/16" greater after all.

tusenkonstnar

Newly Enlightened

NonboX> I will really appreciate the function with dimmer modes. Very practical att times when I donät have several flashlights on me. Then I can use it for longer timeif I'm dounig work outside.(sometimes at temperatures that needs Lithium batteries).
If I'm looking at a map or something like that and don't want to blind someone.

Basically I can se tre big advantages.
1) I can choose lower light intensity to save batteries.
2) I can use very low intensity not do destroy night vision
3) Boostmode gives me a better ability to check strange sound and so on when Iäm out hikng or canoing.

That meens that i don HAVE TO bring more lights if I donät want to and that makes sence to me.

The only thing I donät like so far with the LS4 is that I can't by one right now. As a matter of fact I'm waiting for it and thats the reason I haven't bought a LSHP. I mean if the price difference will be 20$ it's really not much to think of.

If I don't need all extar functions I simply choose not to use them.

nonbox

Banned

But will the extra features = lower reliability/ more possible malfunctions?

the majority of users won't use the ls4 with nightvision equip.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

actually, the way the ls4 is being designed, it will be much more reliable.

non-mechanical switch will last much longer, it will be more waterproof, no moving parts...

plus...i don't think you'll get a virus or anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmmmm, just my thoughts on this. This light and Gransee wants to make it will be unique. The Original design is available now so those that do not like the sounds of the changes can get one before the changes go into effect.

Next, we are starting to see other single cell 123's become available, but they will not be like this. This does add variety to the mix.

If it turns out that the planned light turns out to be not such a good thing, I am sure that Gransee will recognize this and make changes accordingly. I am addmitedly skeptical but I will take a wait and see attitude on this. It might turn out that this is a great light to have or it might not. I will get one, and if it turns out I don't like it, I can always sell it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

..but I LIKE farkle!

(what's farkle?)

nonbox

Banned

I believe in the keep it simple philosophy. The user will benefit from easier operation - they won't have to cycle through the modes to get the desired light. I want the LS because it's a very bright light in a tiny package. If some one needs a dimmer light, there is the arc aaa. Both lights can be carried together easily and the arc aaa is inexpensive. Therefore I don't see a need for dimmer modes.

Rothrandir, the clickie switch will have mechanical parts because it goes up and down. There must be a spring in it. It is mechanical.

Tomas

Banned

The switch being "mechanical" was asked and answered earlier.

It is a "membrane" switch rather than a "mechanical" switch and therefore it's life-cycle rating is based more on eventual material failure (decomposition) rather than actual "wear" of any internal mechanical parts. There is no spring as such, the operation depends on the flexibility of the membrane and it's ability to recover to it's original shape.

Physically the membrane switch has a much longer useful life span than an equivalently priced mechanical switch, and is usually much smaller.

tomsig03.gif

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

The LS4 sounds much much much more useful to me. Its about time someone made one. It has some of the useful features of the Eternalight except its going to be even better! I predict many people who don't want it now will change their minds when it comes out.

_Wayne_

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
nonbox said:
I believe in the keep it simple philosophy. ... Both lights can be carried together easily and the arc aaa is inexpensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is more to keep it simple than modes. Instead of having to click once or twice, you now have me carrying two lights and two different sized batteries to service them, and possibly switching back and forth between light depending on whether I'm reading a map (AAA) or walking a trail (LS), etc.

In either cast, there's no way to save batteries since each light burns up a battery as fast as it can. (And the dimmer AAA cannot burn anything but AAA's, unlike the LS which at least has different battery options.)

So I hear your point, but I definitely disagree. I want two or three modes so I can stretch battery life if I have to and so I can use the appropriate level of light for the task at hand. I'd love to have an AAA level for closeup and max battery, an LS (1-watt) level and an LS5 (3-watt) level.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I purchased two Streamlight twin task lights, the 1L and 2L and find that having to click between only two modes highly irritating. Click it on, click it off , click it on to higher intensity, click it off, click it on to lower led intensity and click it off. I'll bet that wasn't any fun to read either. I personally would rather carry two lights of different intensity than click through modes even if it's just two modes. If it requires more clicks to cycle to different options it becomes worse in my book. The Streamlight switches are very rigid and I really don't like using them at all.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ummm, the only cycling through brightness levels is via the advanced menu: to select the 2 you want to actually use (other than boost).

In actual usage, most of the extras are hidden. So I don't see a problem.

(Of course, I read through the LS4 Announcement topic, very carefully, taking my time to assimilate the information.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the same task, the TwinTask lights require the same amount of button clicks as the LS4.

Simple Operation of the LS4:

First press: turns the light on in the last used level
Double click: toggles the light back and forth between the primary and secondary levels

Single press while on: turns light off

The prim/sec levels are set in the advanced menu from a total of 10 brightness choices. Once you set up the light, it keeps your selection even if the batteries are removed.

In some modes, the TwinTask lights require more button presses to achieve a certain level of brightness. The LS4 also provides other usefull features but my point was this light is very to use.

Examples...

Turn light on in high brightness: TL click 3 times. LS4 click once
Turn light on in low brightness: TL click once. LS4 click 3 times
Turn light light off: click both lights once
Toggle brightness: click both lights twice
Turn on in high brightness when last use was low: TL click once. LS4 click 3 times.
Turn on at previous brightness (a common usage): TL click 3 times. LS4 click once.

Does the TL have a momentary mode?

Hope this helps..

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts