I need a "dim" light for nighttime. Ideas?

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got my Arc AAA (in 2004) and was asking about improving the beam someone mentioned that (a different) someone had filled the reflector area on an Arc with clear epoxy and turned it into a flood beam. Running the Arc underwater supposedly shows the flood-beam effect. I wasn't brave to try the epoxy since it's not reversible but trying it on an ebay Arc clone might be fun.

Greg

paulr

Flashaholic
Take a cheap white coin light, replace the two 2016 cells with a single 2032, and rough up the led lens with some sandpaper.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hands down, the old Infinity (non-ultra). I have one of these on my bedstand and it has more than enough light to navigate around the house during the night but the output is really weak and it has not hot spot.

I was going to say the Gladius on low but it has a distinct hot spot in it's beam. It is however very low and perfect also for navigating around the house at night. The upside is instant near tactical level brightness if you wanted it or just couldn't resist the urge to see it!

-Goatee

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
:goodjob:

I am completely blown away at the number of responses to my question. CPF is so awesome.

Since i had the Gerber Infinity Ultra anyway i took it apart and sanded the LED like crazy until i achieved the desired level of diffusion. Since my Ultra had a blue-ish tint anyway it wasn't that painful to decide to do it. I got the exact result i wanted and got rid of the hotspot.

As a secondary result to a few of the posts in this thread i now have on order a CR2 Ion (Blue). :lolsign:

So you resolved one issue for me but in true CPF fashion fed my addiction for more...so you have no one to blame but yourselves. :bumpit:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second both the Rigel and the PALight recommendations, we use both for camping.

Navck

Enlightened
iNDiGLo said:
Ok here's the deal. I currently use a Fenix L1P with the 10 ohm resistor for hi/lo. Even on low the light in the middle of the night is too bright. A keychain light running on coincells is too bright. I am looking for light output exactly like the Fenix L1P on low (sidespill light) without any hotspot or very, very diffused.

I have a Gerber Infinity Ultra but its way too bright. I have a few Target River Rocks but again, way too bright. And my Surefire U2 Ultra on LOW...LOL again... you get the picture.

So any ideas? Remember i want all spill and no spot. Almost like what a very low wattage nightlight would emit.

:popcorn:
MilkyCandle
HDS on low (Level 20 is AMAZING with night adapted eyes)
ARC AAA

dragoman

Enlightened
u already found one, but A2 on the LEDs.

My Y/G ones are perfect for this, and at 3 lumens are very low level light.

I think I'm going to sand mine to get rid of the artifacts from the reflector though....

dragoman

stjohnh

Newly Enlightened
For ALL diffuse and NO hotspot I think the Energizer Folding LED light is the way to go.

$7 at Target, 4AA, runs 200hrs on low. I use mine all the time at night, going to the bathroom, refrigerator, etc. Form factor makes it easy to fold over pajama waist band or shirt pocket, then set it on the counter while you do your stuff (be it at the fridge or toilet). I use it to check on the kids after they are asleep, I can see fine and it won't wake them up. Kind of like bright moonlight.
Discussed in a couple of other threads.

Holland

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Energizer Folding Lantern suggested by stjohn is a great idea. Another might be the Eternalight Derringer (or other Eternalights) since it can be dimmed down. Of course, you can get a lot of mileage out of old batteries, too.

Geoff

TiberiusBeeKirk

Newly Enlightened
Interesting topic,
I needed a dim light tonight. I was doing a stealth recording of a show using my Minidisc and I want to get the recording levels right.
The only lights I had was a UV coinlight, arc aaa and Q3. I did not want to draw attention checking my MD unit and used what was the dimmest to me, the UV.
Now I'm considering putting my Photon 3 on my keychain, replacing the Arc aaa.

dmz

Enlightened
The old Inova X5 with out the CS leds are dim and the SF L1 on low setting is dim.

evanlocc

Enlightened
Yes! all light seem too bright in the middle of the night.

I just shine it on the ceiling and that... just nice for sleeping eyes.

Your I-Ultra or Xnova 5 Led just right, usual 1W Luxeon still too bright for the above method.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a cover of some sort over your light?? A piece of cloth, or one of those white plastic film canisters(Fuji film?? I think). Just an idea.

Blades

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
If your main concern is not totally ruining your night vision, then I would suggest a red LED light. Using the red LEDs on the Inova 24/7 (as glockboy suggested) should be just fine for manuvering around the house at night. The Inova X5 with red LEDs, a red LED key chain, or any number of the red LED lights might be just what you need.

mattbatt

Newly Enlightened
Target River Rock head lamp uses 2 AAA batteries and has a high and a low setting and can be focused somewhat I use it for reading in bed it's just enough.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is for finding your way to the john or the fridge, how about a red light? Red doesn't hurt your night vision, but you can still see by it.