I need emergency backup lights for my hospital... suggestions?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be my choice: Bright Star Razor

Class 1 Division 1 safety approved.
60 Lumens
Make from tough Nylon
Simple on / off UI
Runs on 3 AA batteries. Lithiums an absolute must for guaranteed function after years of storage.
Available in Black or Red
Seoul LED--30,000 hours
100 hour run time. Not sure if it is regulated.
Made in the USA
Lifetime warranty
Only $23.95 / for one piece----you may get a discount for more.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Bright_Star_Razor_LED_Flashlight.php

Good Luck

EDIT: BTW--Nice Flashaholic Story. I enjoyed it.

Bill

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
Interesting story. :thinking: Funny how the first thought on the hosp staff was to call you and vindicate your flashlight collection instead of getting power to the countless vital systems needed to support life in a hosp such as respirators, refrigeration units, computer systems, etc, and how the main concern there is now building up a flashlight supply instead of redundant power backup systems to maintain life support.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting story. :thinking: Funny how the first thought on the hosp staff was to call you and vindicate your flashlight collection instead of getting power to the countless vital systems needed to support life in a hosp such as respirators, refrigeration units, computer systems, etc, and how the main concern there is now building up a flashlight supply instead of redundant power backup systems to maintain life support.

While you are correct in what they need, I would suspicion that in a 20 bed hospital the funds needed for a redundant UPS / DSTS would be difficult. Just a guess.

Bill

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are going to need lights over wall mounted emergency lighting I would suggest a headlamp of one type or another. My wife works as a nurse at a nursing home and when they lost power she used her headlamp and now everyone has one because they loved hers. They can be used hands free, and we know nurses and doctors constantly are in need of their hands for work and charting. No handleld flashlight comes close in that instance.

They have generators, but they do not cover everything. They cover life support, food, and other functions which include emergency lighting which is not quite adequate to perform their duties as normal but adequate to navigate most areas without tripping. The headlamp helps them in the normal funtion of their tasks.

Last edited:

txgp17

Enlightened
Above all else, stress to admin to get those generators working.

BMF

Enlightened
People mentioned about MagLite 2D LED and no one saying anything about Home Depot Husky 4W that is about the same size but much brighter and throw better using the same D batteries?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make it SOP for each and every member when on duty to have a Fenix E01 on a neck lanyard (maybe along with their ID badges).
I've used an E01 in really dark conditions and find that its output is ample and more than suitable for my needs.
Fenixes go for about $15 each on 4sevens and come in different colours too.

Excellent idea. I strongly share this same belief! IMHO there is absolutely NO reason not to have an L0D AAA at all times! It's so easy to put it in keys that you might not remember it's there!:thumbsup:

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Shoot...

what about the $24.95, 200 lumen, Home Depot special?

How much more simple can you get?

Bright light, runs on 2D batteries, and if they "walk away"...big deal, only $25.00 was lost.

Get a whole bunch of 'em.

In Christ: Raymond

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
How about the River Rock 2C LED light from Target. If one doesn't work its easy to take it back and exchange it (my family goes to Target
AT LEAST once a week). It has 135 lumens and should be bright enough for any power outage need indoors or outdoors and uses commonly available batteries. Its big enough that its not too likely to walk away, and to hold under your armpit and write or work on something, but its small enough for a hip pocket carry during an outage. It has a nice looking beam with a lot of spill, but if you want more throw than flood then buy the Lowes Task Force 2C light, and both lights are under 30 bucks.

Cydonia

Enlightened
How about putting one of those cheap Cree lanterns aside for entrance lighting? Huge run time and low/high settings. I would spend some time in the Lantern section.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I work in an emergency room, in a larger and busier hospital. I'll share what we have. Not that this is optimal, or couldn't be improved upon, but this is what we actually use.

1. Wall-mounted emergency lights. There are a few of these located throughout the department. I believe it's required by building code here. These would provide some measure of light immediately upon a power outage.

2. We have a couple of Streamlight Light Boxes mounted on the wall. I believe (but am not completely certain) that they are also the variety that turns on automatically in case of a power outage.

You can find them here: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Litebox_Power_Failure.php

3. There is a box of cheap plastic 2 x D cell incandescent lights in the nurses' station, stored without batteries, along with a box of industrial D alkaline D cells stored next to them.

4. Many of the nurses and techs wear a keychain-type light on their ID badge lanyard. I carry this: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Photon_Freedom_Micro.php but am probably going to upgrade to a Fenix AAA soon, so I can use NiMH batteries which I can top up so I always have a fully-charged battery. Of course, I personally carry an EDC light (currently a Nightcore D10), which has illuminated many a suture procedure and catheter placement, but I believe I'm the only person in the ED who carries this substantial a light routinely.

5. Of course, the hospital itself has generators, just as yours does. But as you know, generators can fail. A hospital nearby the one where I work had its generators fail recently due to smoke and ash from a large fire which clogged the air filter.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised that there aren't standalone ceiling mounted rechargeable (12v?) battery powered standby lights that come on when power goes.

They have them all over the UK.

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
Make it SOP for each and every member when on duty to have a Fenix E01 on a neck lanyard (maybe along with their ID badges).
Great idea.

Just FIY - Fenix LD01 (black) is $36 at lapolicegear.com, so I'd recommend that you get those, and have them attached to the keysets, or whatever objects are passed on to people currently on duty. Some AAA lithium batteries, and you're good to go.

As for the location lights, I agree with the sentiment - MagLEDs, or Mag's with TerraLUX dropins (I prefer the latter due to both brightness and better COLOR) for everyone else. A 4D Mag with run ~20 hours with a TerraLUX module, so that's about as good as you'd want... the output is very decent (> or = 100lm) and the throw is VERY good.

Finally, get the hospital an entire drawer full of Dealextreme Fauxtons ($22 for a pack of 50) and make sure that EVERYONE wears them with their ID or keys.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks everyone for your ongoing input. ALL very good ideas! This is why I love this forum; everyone is always willing to give great advice when needed to fellow CPF's.

Thanks again,
Dan

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for headlamps. I'd go for Princeton Tec Eos with lithium AAA cells. Then put a fauxton on every set of keys in the joint. They already have lithium batteries and they only cost 50 cents.