I need emergency backup lights for my hospital... suggestions?

bobrip

Newly Enlightened
Back to the generator. Do you have a program of routine testing and maintenance. It should probably be run for about an hour at least once a month. Once a year it should be connected to the emergency loads and operation verified. Look at the manufactuere's recommendations. Just getting it running once is a waste of time. Run it often.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
My hospital is 500 beds + the ER and I can tell you whatever you get expect for at least 30% of them to walk away.

Stick with LED's because you never know how long the lights may be out.

Cr123 lights are great to put away till you need them.

AA lights are fine as long as you only pair them with lithiums.

You wouldn't need more than 100 lumen really. Even 50 would be fine.

Headlamps would be really nice to work with.

Good luck picking something tough enough to last while being cheap enough to replace often due to theft. I reccomend issuing them to each of the staff. If someone signs for it that makes it easy to figure out who to charge for the replacement unit.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd write "doesn't work, knackered, u/s" on my torch, which may prevent it being half-inched.

Ralph_S

Newly Enlightened
Cross-contamination and hands

If they are going to need lights over wall mounted emergency lighting I would suggest a headlamp of one type or another. My wife works as a nurse at a nursing home and when they lost power she used her headlamp and now everyone has one because they loved hers. They can be used hands free, and we know nurses and doctors constantly are in need of their hands for work and charting. No handleld flashlight comes close in that instance.

They have generators, but they do not cover everything. They cover life support, food, and other functions which include emergency lighting which is not quite adequate to perform their duties as normal but adequate to navigate most areas without tripping. The headlamp helps them in the normal funtion of their tasks.

An appropriate headlamp with a diffuser should not have to be positioned or aimed many times by a caregiver whose work involves changing locations, such as going from room to room.

By contrast, a tail-standing flashlight would have to be moved by hand repeatedly, and therefore the flashlight could be a source of cross-contamination unless it were sanitized or washed repeatedly. I am having difficulty visualizing a caregiver with time to sanitize or wash and dry a flashlight over and over again. Would a flashlight with multiple D cells even fit into each sink? If the sanitizer or sink is not next to the patient, then the flashlight might have to be positioned and made to tail-stand (without blinding the caregiver), twice per patient.

If a caregiver works in one location, then I could visualize the use of powerful tail-standing flashlights. If a caregiver has an ever-present assistant, then there are more options.

These comments may reveal my ignorance about medical institutions; but from what I have read, hand-cleaning methods and compliance are important.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the others who stressed the use of headlamps. I would want as many of my personnel to have both hands free as possible.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Make it SOP for each and every member when on duty to have a Fenix E01 on a neck lanyard (maybe along with their ID badges). That would solve the need to go look for lights, then whoever is on duty can go get the other lights, like cheap long running lanterns etc which can be stored in an emergency locker or something which only the Duty whoever has access to.

This would ensure that the better lights dont get stolen and the fact that only one person has the key to it ensures accountability.

+1 This I believe that this would be the best solution for your needs.

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
I understand the situation well.

I work in a hospital that recently built a huge addition that more than doubled the size of the hospital.

I take a lot of jabs about my weird flashlight hobby... except whenever there were problems with the power (like when the workmen cut the main power line with a saw). All of a sudden I'm the only person in radiology who is actually "mobile" because I can see (there's no windows in radiation areas, hence there's -no- light).

I also suggest the Streamlight ProPolys. To those who don't know any better, they look like cheap plastic Walmart lights; and that means they're more likely to stay in the building. Nice, shiny aluminum lights are more likely to find themselves in someone's home.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=411642

On sale through end of year (2 days to go), code "holiday20" for 20 percent off so $8 each, and right now, free shipping

Drop into any ordinary flashlight that uses 2 to 6 cells.
Do fine in the cheapest 99-cent flashlights so they don't look attractive to steal.

I buy half a dozen at a time when they come on sale, they've been cheaper once but this isn't bad.

Heck, call Dorcy's office and tell them what you need, you can probably get a better deal.

This isn't instead of any of the other good ideas. This is the "and also" option that lets you make any old standard flashlight into a good long lasting LED light.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Good point in recommending Headlamps.

Perhaps they'd be less likely to "walk away",

since most folks think headlamps are "Dorky".

Good Luck to you.

_

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with a lot of the good suggestions so far. Headlights are good for the doctors/surgeons. Princeton Tec EOS and Quad headlights are good. Fauxtons for everyone. Maybe a few l.e.d. Maglites in the area for when brighter light is needed. I'd like to add that a good l.e.d. lantern is useful. I like Coleman's $25 145 lumen 4D Cree XR-E packaway lantern. It's available at Walmart, is very bright, lasts a long time (18 hours on high, 40 on low which is 50% brightness of high), is big enough to not walk off, and is cheap, all things considered. It has a 10 lumen nightlight setting for really long runtimes. If you're going to ceiling bounce a light in a large hospital room, try the 530 lumen rechargeable Coleman Cree spotlight. 530 lumens for 2.5 hours could be very useful in a hospital. It's $40 at Walmart's online site. I've never seen it in a Walmart, but I have seen it at Sports Authority for $60. Also, don't rule out florescent lanterns. There are ones that are near 400 lumens available for around $30 at Walmart.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
And don't forget _something_ that runs off 12 volts.

Someone will be willing to lose the setting on their clock and radio and drag a car battery in, if the power's really off a long while.

An RV store will have 12-volt fluorescent strip lighting ideal for that purpose, or you can find 12v LEDs nowadays.

Fluorescent may yet be more efficient for area lighting in particular.

SG688

Newly Enlightened
Not flashlights, but Cyalume light sticks might be useful.

I wrote a long-term blackout plan that called for taping light sticks to the emergency exit door push bars. etc. etc.

I was standing in a hospital emergency room when the power failed. The generator failed. The battery backup lights failed. The only light that came on was my Mag-Charger. The moment of validation we live for!

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Boat load of Streamlight Stylus Pros or Microstreams with Lithium AAA batteries? Small, bright enough for what is needed.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boat load of Streamlight Stylus Pros or Microstreams with Lithium AAA batteries? Small, bright enough for what is needed.

And lock them in the narcotics cabinets and make them part of the turnover process. That way there is always some one signing for them and being responsible. [That would be for the miniMags or whatever of that size]

I would put a reasonable amount of 'waterproof' headlights in the ED and Operating Theaters for use by personnel there. I say waterproof because they would be easier to chemically sterilize that way. If they were put in sterile packs in a GITD case on the wall or somewhere I doubt you would have much of a problem with them disappearing. If it was my space, I would also install a Streamlight LiteBox power failure lantern on the wall. Since there should already be the regular power failure exit-style lamps installed, the LiteBox would make a good backup, and be great for using ceiling bounce to provide some general illumination.

An alternative for nursing staff could be quiqlites or Pelican VersaBrite. Either one is handsfree. They could be locked up in the narcotics cabinet or issued just like the name tag/badge, with each person being responsible for their own.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made this a separate response to keep the length down on the last one. One thing no one has touched on is battery management. If you are going to issue or stockpile lights, you will have to have a battery management program of some sort. For issued lights you will have to have replacements available upon request. For stockpiled lights, not only will you need replacements, you will have to have some periodic testing and battery replacement program in place. Stockpiled lights don't do very much good if during the first crucial minutes of power failure everyone is standing around the nurses' station replacing stale [dead or almost dead] batteries! This should be included as part of your scheduled activities in your Contingency Management Plan - you do have a CMP, don't you?

It also wouldn't hurt to have a case or so of those little mini chem lights around. When power goes off and the generator backup fails, just grab a couple of orderlies, give them each a bunch of the minichems and a roll of scotch tape, and tell them to activate one for every room and tape it to the door frame about head height. That way there would be a sort of night light for the patients so they could orient themselves in their rooms, and not have a bunch of patients freaking out because their rooms are pitch black. :candle: They could also fasten one every so many rooms in the hallway for the same purpose. This is where those pre-cut packaging Scotch tapes and a small carpenter apron would be nice - reach in to the apron and grab a chemlight, snap and shake with one hand, grab a piece of tape from your wrist with the other and tape it up. Then grap, snap, and shake while on your way to the next room.

And to think - they used to pay me to sit around and think of stuff like this! (Of course, I also had to implement it then - the hard part of the job):whistle:

Last edited: