If you could only have one flashlight...

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could only have one...

SureFire M2

Why? Because it can be accessorized with various incan drop-ins, LED drop-ins (Malkoff, Nailbender, etc.), SureFire turbo heads (to use with N1, MN15, MN20, etc.), cell extenders, color filters, diffusers, rechargeable cells, and more. Basically, with some accessories, the M2 can be a bunch of different lights depending on the task at hand.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
A McGizmo Lunasol 20 with a single red 5mm led followed by a secondary level dual white 5mm led option and I would like to replace the Dragon led with the warm tint from my Jetbeam Jet I Pro emitter all the while retaining the McGizmo beam profile but matching the throw of a Surefire E1B Backup.

This would be a synthesis of many of my favorite and heavily carried lights, a Peak 3 led Matterhorn, an A2 Aviator, my Jetbeam, E1B, and My McGizmo LS20.

Maybe I have finally found the answer to a similar post asking "If you could only have 5 lights"?

MWClint

Enlightened
my modded Peak Pacific AA.
It is my holy grail of lights, featuring:

Brass head
-T1SS0I High CRI Neutral Seoul P4
-Madmax+ wide open boost converter
-mineral glass lens
-mcR-16s reflector
-gitd oring

Black HAIII body AA

Brass tailswitch
- Tailswitch modified for a high/low mode
- twist head for high, press tailswitch for low (~1 lumen)
- Lanyard attachment hole drilled into tailswitch

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Recently I stated that it would be my Ti LF2XT, but at least at the moment, I would have to say my Draco with it's perfect floody beam with excellent transition, three levels all the way from a reasonable low to an incredibly bright high, even if it weren't such a tiny light, and to top it all off, nice warm tint!

COAST

Enlightened
Can't find my post even though I thought I posted here :candle:. Anyway. HDS Ra Clicky 140 Executive with SS Black bezel....

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
Surefire LX2. Seems to be all I use anyway. Sure would like the option of being able to have a headlamp too like my Petzel E+Light... pretty please?

greenLED

Flashaholic
The same light I've been EDCing for the past 4 years... a McLux PD Mizer. Oh yes, sometimes it is nice to have something brighter, but I've never been in a situation where I felt the McLux was in any way insufficient for my needs. I have argued for years that a max of about 60 lumens is quite reasonable, and being no hypocrite I have lived it for years, with that being the max output of my sole EDC.

What matters most to me is that it does everything right. It has a perfect beam with a soft transition from hotspot to spill, it has a deep carry pocket clip, it's nearly impossible to accidentally activate, it has two well-chosen brightness levels instantly accessible, and most of all it is exactly the right shape and size to be comfortable to use under any condition.

I could've typed those very same words, Steve. I very much feel the same way about my PD-S Mizer. I've had it clipped to my pocket from the day Don so generously sent it as a gift. :bow:

The only thing I'd change is its sudden death when the battery dies. One of these days I'm going to be out in the field and the light is going to go :poof: on me. Somehow it hasn't happened (and I almost always carry a backup), but probability says it will.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could only own 1 flashlight for the rest of your life.....

Hi Everyone,

If you could only own one flashlight for the rest of your life,
which would it be? (and why?)

No exchanges. No repairs.
One light, forever!

This is partly a question of reliability (perceived/actual) and partly a question of function/form.

Would love to hear your choice and why.

tgwnn

p.s. I know this has been asked before but seems to have been a few years

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: If you could only own 1 flashlight for the rest of your life.....

maglite! because it seems whatever you do to them, they just keep on running! I have one here at home that's over 25 years old now, and it still works! :)

but in fairness to all the next-generation lights, well, they havent been around long enough to prove their lights can last the same or longer! :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

maglite! because it seems whatever you do to them, they just keep on running! I have one here at home that's over 25 years old now, and it still works! :)

but in fairness to all the next-generation lights, well, they havent been around long enough to prove their lights can last the same or longer! :)

25 years!
Very impressive!!

Thanks

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only light I own that I could honestly say would be my "desert island" (same thoughts as in this thread, for me at least) light is my Ra Twisty. Not the brightest by a longshot. Not the quickest, not the smallest, not the anythingest (except perhaps the toughest). But when I know I am going to be out at night where lack of light would be a safety issue, I always have a few lights on me. the one that is ALWAYS part of that group is the Ra. Why? Because I know I will have light if I need it. it tends not to get used that much, and I play with my brighter lights more. it has a low enough low and a high enough high for just about anything I'd ever "need." The medium is useful for almsot everything else.

When it comes right down to it, when ONE light will have to be relied on for everything, for ever...reliability is at the absolute top of the list.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only light I own that I could honestly say would be my "desert island" (same thoughts as in this thread, for me at least) light is my Ra Twisty. Not the brightest by a longshot. Not the quickest, not the smallest, not the anythingest (except perhaps the toughest). But when I know I am going to be out at night where lack of light would be a safety issue, I always have a few lights on me. the one that is ALWAYS part of that group is the Ra. Why? Because I know I will have light if I need it. it tends not to get used that much, and I play with my brighter lights more. it has a low enough low and a high enough high for just about anything I'd ever "need." The medium is useful for almsot everything else.

When it comes right down to it, when ONE light will have to be relied on for everything, for ever...reliability is at the absolute top of the list.

Thanks smokelaw1 :thumbsup:

mbw_151

Enlightened

One light forever? A Surefire C3 with Malkoff M61WLL. Durable body, simple twist switch, highly reliable drop in. Maybe add a Torch Lab Zero Rez switch element for ultimate KISS.

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened

I kinda agree. Most of these new lights are pretty cool but longevity is questionable. My SureFire 6P would definitely be in the running as well as my M20S-X. I also like my Streamlight ProTac 1AA for a small light.

I don't know if my Sunwayman V10r, Olight T10 or EagleTac P20A2 will last but they're very nice. I had a Fenix E21 light for a short time and returned it because the switch got flaky in less than 100 clicks (maybe even less than 50). I know it's a budget light but that ruined my faith in Fenix.

My next light will be a 4sevens. Not sure which one but I really like the company and the fact that they're active in this forum is great. I like how David handles every topic and situation with professionalism, rare with most reps that are on this and various other forums. I also like that they're an American company. I know their lights are made in China but aren't almost every other lights?

I have a few Maglites that are over 20 yrs old that still work but output sucks so I wouldn't want one of those for the rest of my life :p.

gsr

Enlightened

Surefire E1B.

easilyled

Flashaholic

It would probably be a McGizmo Ti-PD updated with an XM-L. (like the one I have ;))

Reasons:-

Reliability
- Ti is strong, durable, doesn't corrode even in salt-water, is more than a good enough conductor of heat/electricity for a high level of 525ma
- mechanical switch mechanism with piston contacting kilroy spring I perceive as being more reliable than electrical switch mechanism and more reliable than clicky switches.
- McGizmo doesn't know how to make an unreliable light!!

Form/function
- Fits the hand beautifully
- Flutes on the head perfect for engaging the tips of the fingers into for rotation
- UI is KISS and completely intuitive with the push lightly for momentary low, push harder for momentary high, twist a little for constant low, twist more for constant high
- Tailstanding is as solid as a rock. Nothing is going to topple it over.
- Clip perfect for carrying in a pocket and also functions as an anti-roll device. New clip design can be used to screw into tripods and other accessories.
- Tritium at end of piston helps to locate light at night. Also a slight bit of bling but not too over the top.
- 525ma on high allows for over an hour of runtime for a small, pocketable EDC, yet with an XM-L its still more than bright enough for most tasks
- Low level is spot-on for preventing night blindness and allowing for easy nocturnal navigation round the house without rousing sleeping partners and kids
- Beam is perfect blend of spot and throw
- Water proof and probably dive proof, bomb proof and EMS proof.

Aesthetics
- Damn good. I still enjoy looking at it after all these years.

Last edited:

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened

I'm starting to dread beating the Surefire drum on this forum but it would have to be an LED Surefire. I've had almost literally any other commercial flashlight go bad on me. And as per gsr, above, an E1B is an excellent choice. I would dither between that an E2DL then, because I always do carry one of similar size, would probably choose the E2D.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

No exchange and no repairs? Ever? You will definitely get a lot of answers that start with Surefire...

I would have to say that it would most likely be a Quark123 because of the size/brightness/battery life ratios. Small enough to fit in a holster and not stab me in the side when I get in the car, bright enough for just about any use and I can get my work day done without changing the battery. As major pluses, it takes RCR123's and has a low-low (the two reasons why I would pick a Quark over a PD20)

Now I'll have to kiss all my lights one by one and ask for forgiveness when I get home... I better go buy some lip balm!

[EDIT 10/5/11] I forgot to mention is would also be a NEUTRAL...

Last edited:

oldways

Enlightened

Lifetime? No repairs no exchange?....Malkoff MD2 or SF C2 with Malkoff dropin.