If you were getting a EDC - As a Prize

EDC - Which Battery

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have more than one light with me, usual on on AAA (Liteflux LF5XT and before that a Fenix L0D) and one on 18650 (A Dereelight CL1H). At the current time I also have a DBS with MCE led and a Fenix P3D and I nearly forgot my "small" bicycle light: a L2D.

I think that just about covers all battery sizes.

deKatt

Newly Enlightened
AA, mainly because I have accumulated so many rechargeable AA's (about 24 at last count).

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
For me, it'd be a choice between AA and CR123A, depending on application. AA for ease of finding in stores, but it lacks in compactness, run time, and brightness. CR123 for all the things opposite of running on AA.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe.. an AA EDC would be wonderful.. combined with my 2AA D20, and my Cr2032 fauxton, and my AAA E1...

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is not small enough to fit a keychain it will not be EDC'd.

AA lights are too big to go on a keychain, will be left in a drawer, and not be available when there is a light emergency.
I agree with this post. The OP specifically asked: "If you were getting a EDC". So for me, the EDC I always have with me no matter what is the one on my keyring. I don't plan to but sometimes I forget to take my other lights to work, or I don't have enough pockets, or whatever. But my keys are always with me, hence Every Day Carry. That being said I agree that generally speaking, AA lights are a tad too big for keychain carry.

deusexaethera

Banned
I think this question might be better rephrased as: "if you were going to buy an EDC flashlight for your grandmother, what would you get her?" That pretty much rules out anything besides AA or AAA, because normal people aren't going to futz around with special batteries for just one thing. Between the two, an AAA light will take up a lot less space in a pocket, making it much more likely to actually get carried.

They can always come on here if they suddenly get a hankering for a lightsaber. :p

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a mighty big generalization, and I have a handful of lights that are all EDCed and don't reasonably fit on a keychain that say you're wrong.

It all depends on who they're being given to, and I have to suppose, given the wording of the question, that old4570 wants to know what we (mainly flashaholics) would prefer, not what people we might give lights to (mainly non-flashaholics) would prefer.

I agree with this post. The OP specifically asked: "If you were getting a EDC". So for me, the EDC I always have with me no matter what is the one on my keyring. I don't plan to but sometimes I forget to take my other lights to work, or I don't have enough pockets, or whatever. But my keys are always with me, hence Every Day Carry. That being said I agree that generally speaking, AA lights are a tad too big for keychain carry.

My EDCs are Millermodded Arc AAA, UK 2AAA eLED both on keychains.

I will carry a Civictor V1 AA in my pocket nothing bigger. The Nitecore D10 is probably acceptable as well.
As to what can be carried in a pocket I have seen pictures of a Dereelight V2 (18650, 2*CR123; turbohead) in WadeF's front pants pocket. Lots of people do that with their Surefires.

I carry a 14500 cutdown minimag in a AAA minimag holster on my belt. Used to do that with a Fenix L1P later L1T v2.0 in the Fenix issued holsters.

-

If it is a gift we can ask if the giftee is a flashaholic.
For a prize we do not know who will win so will have to assume the recipient may not be interested enough to make sure he/she has an EDC on him/her.
Of course if it is at a police association or EMT event we are fairly certain the light will be carried and used so no need for keychain capable. Brighter is better with lots of runtime in this case.

danielo_d

Enlightened
I voted for AA.
I primarily use a single 1AA using NiMh. Guilt free lumens. :whistle:
I like the availability of the Alkies everywhere in case I need a replacement in a pinch. [I have a bunch of Kirkland Signatures by way of Costco.]

Latest posts