In search of a Surefire single-AA 2-stage clicky...

ztm

Banned
Re: The single AA dual mode light is ignored

E series LED dropin http://velenodesigns.com/html/surefire_e_series_led_drop-in.html

And get a TnC or Fivemega AA body. (FM made those, right?)

Alternately, you could get one of these and put a standard SF C head on it with a Malkoff dropin and a two mode ring.

About half of the things you suggested are perpetually out of stock. I will revisit the TnC idea and browse their site but for some reason last year I ruled that out.

ETA: Just looked over the TnC options again and it seems as usual some of the parts are out of stock. Even if they had everything available I cannot put the light I want together as far as I can tell. If someone can show me how to make a dual mode with momentary and constant on forward clicky from the parts there I am listening. I do not like the point kroll clickies and the surefire style are always out of stock.

This is what I have run into for years...the suggestions people give for legos just do not work in practice.

The drop in you linked to is for 123s or rechargable lithium not AAs. I bet it won't run at all on a single AA or at least not with any output.

The FiveMega C is a no go due to having to use the huge C head and the Malkoff's are never available and won't run well or at all on a single AA anyway.

Last edited:

ama230

Enlightened

I think you might look at the Icon Rogue I.

I second this this post as the icons are absolute beauties and have great specs. Also there is the link that has the same specs and is a bit cheaper from lighthound. They have the nicest clickys and there is nothing to beat it for the price and its a guarantee!!!:thumbsup:

ztm

Banned

I second this this post as the icons are absolute beauties and have great specs. Also there is the link that has the same specs and is a bit cheaper from lighthound. They have the nicest clickys and there is nothing to beat it for the price and its a guarantee!!!:thumbsup:

Nope...again thanks but have seen it and it's not what I want.

I am set on hard anodized Surefire E series style body...hi/low ONLY (100+ high and super low low), forward clicky with momentary, good clip, drop and waterproof/durable. It is for some reason unavailable even though it is simple and would sell well.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic

EagleTac P10A is close, but still not quite the fancy cigar you are after :)

The Jetbeam Jet I Pro w/IBS (V3) is a programmable 2 mode light that you could program a nice low moon mode for low, but it's a reverse clicker as I recall.

The NiteCore Defender infinity looks like it could be setup pretty close to your preferences.

ztm

Banned

EagleTac P10A is close, but still not quite the fancy cigar you are after :)

The Jetbeam Jet I Pro w/IBS (V3) is a programmable 2 mode light that you could program a nice low moon mode for low, but it's a reverse clicker as I recall.

The NiteCore Defender infinity looks like it could be setup pretty close to your preferences.

All of those have been tried and or ruled out.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about the new Fenix LD15 ? Not a clicky though if you are that bothered.

Fenix LD15

The new Fenix LD15 is a compact pocket torch suitable for every day carry and small enough to fit onto a key ring or lanyard with the provided accessories.

Powered by a single AA battery, the LD15 has two power levels:

High: 117 lumens - 1.5 hour runtime
Low: 8 Lumens - 39 hour runtime

Simple twist head to operate the light and change brightness levels.

Waterproof to IPX-8 standards, the LD 15 is made from aircraft grade aluminium and has a shatter proof, anti reflective lens plus high quality reflector to produce a perfect beam pattern from the Cree R4 LED

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope...it is a twisty not a forward clicky.

Ok how about this one:-

Jetbeam Flashlights: Element E3S

The Element E3S is not only a high performing 120 lumen flashlight but it is also a beautiful and tactile object. It is made from stainless steel and as a result has a satisfying weight and robustness in the hand.
Made of Grade 304 stainless steel
Powered by regular AA battery
High efficiency LED drive circuit with reverse polarity protection function
Forward clickie switch
Two-level output, suitable for different circumstances
Easy brightness-adjusting operation
Tailstand function
Waterproof: Accord to IPX-8 standard

Even I fancy one of these.

Last edited:

ztm

Banned

That one was mentioned at the top of the thread. It is a no go.

sabre7

Enlightened

Nope...again thanks but have seen it and it's not what I want.

I am set on hard anodized Surefire E series style body...hi/low ONLY (100+ high and super low low), forward clicky with momentary, good clip, drop and waterproof/durable. It is for some reason unavailable even though it is simple and would sell well.

There have been many good suggestions for fine flashlights made by several knowledgeable CPFers here, and all were brusquely dismissed outright.

I get the feeling that even if a light with your exacting specs were named, you would find that it would still be half a mm to long/short/wide/narrow, the wrong color, not enough/too much knurling, or a zillion other reasons why it would not be acceptable. Perhaps your search should be widened to other venues.

red02

Enlightened

You could try a P60 boost driver with a 2 stage tailcap (search L4 trueblue mod). That would give you two levels and the choice of host.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just have one made. Contact someone on this board called TranquilityBase, or PhotonFanatic and ask to have your light made. There, done. Super easy.

carrot

Flashaholic

I suggest you pick up a soldering iron and set to it yourself then. You obviously know exactly what you want, so go about finding the parts and get to it.

ztm

Banned

There have been many good suggestions for fine flashlights made by several knowledgeable CPFers here, and all were brusquely dismissed outright.

I get the feeling that even if a light with your exacting specs were named, you would find that it would still be half a mm to long/short/wide/narrow, the wrong color, not enough/too much knurling, or a zillion other reasons why it would not be acceptable. Perhaps your search should be widened to other venues.

You are wrong about your "feeling". I was very clear about my requirements and all suggestions do not meet them. It is not a personal insult to the member suggesting but you are acting like it is. I dismissed them because they did not meet the requirements I CLEARLY listed. If someone suggests a twisty for example when I clearly specified a forward clicky it is not wrong of me to say "thanks but no thanks".

Perhaps you should not assume things?

Last edited:

1anrm

Enlightened

Just have one made. Contact someone on this board called TranquilityBase, or PhotonFanatic and ask to have your light made. There, done. Super easy.

+1

Maybe after one is made it'll be a regular production run.

carrot

Flashaholic

Or this. TB is quite talented at the lathe and could certainly achieve something like this.

ztm

Banned

+1

I have tried to contact a few of the custom folks and never get replies...also had a request post up for nearly a year asking the same with no bites.

I will try the names you mentioned thanks!

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened

+1

Right after this mod was suggest by trueblue it became a short run with some members selling their services of modding Z59s with choice resistors. Great idea indeed, I'm surprised that with so many single mode surefires this isn't common knowledge around here by now.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

The drop in you linked to is for 123s or rechargable lithium not AAs. I bet it won't run at all on a single AA or at least not with any output.

I hope you find want your after but I missed out on why you have to have E series compatible? From the quote above it seems you want to run it on either alkaline or lithium primary so what E series head could light up with 1.5-1.8v?

ztm

Banned

I hope you find want your after but I missed out on why you have to have E series compatible? From the quote above it seems you want to run it on either alkaline or lithium primary so what E series head could light up with 1.5-1.8v?

Thanks...the E series for me is about the body and tailcap not the head...They fit perfectly to the form factor and ergonomics I want. If there was something nearly the same but a different make that would be fine as well.

red02 I am educating myself on your suggestion thanks!

Carrot I have not modded lights before so it would be a disaster if I tried to DIY.

I try to find this light every year or so and give up because nothing ever comes of it. It is frustrating because it seems like such a simple thing and I have heard loads of people say "yeah that would be perfect" but it is still vaporware.

Last edited: