In search of a Surefire single-AA 2-stage clicky...

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
Re: The single AA dual mode light is ignored

You are wrong about your "feeling". I was very clear about my requirements and all suggestions do not meet them. It is not a personal insult to the member suggesting but you are acting like it is. I dismissed them because they did not meet the requirements I CLEARLY listed. If someone suggests a twisty for example when I clearly specified a forward clicky it is not wrong of me to say "thanks but no thanks".

Perhaps you should not assume things?

I have read this whole post, and there have been numerous lights that have superb quality and durability. If there is nothing that meets your EXACT requirements, and you can't deal with something that isn't perfectly made for you, then you have two options, leave CPF and Flashlights all together knowing you will never be happy with any of the flashlights out there, or build it yourself, or have a custom done from scratch. :twothumbs

ztm

Banned

I have read this whole post, and there have been numerous lights that have superb quality and durability. If there is nothing that meets your EXACT requirements, and you can't deal with something that isn't perfectly made for you, then you have two options, leave CPF and Flashlights all together knowing you will never be happy with any of the flashlights out there, or build it yourself, or have a custom done from scratch. :twothumbs

I HAVE tried to have it done custom as I have said before and got no bites or replies. I am now trying again. It doesn't matter if there have been 1000 "great" lights suggested they are not what I am looking for and a couple people are taking that personally and getting grumbly about it, which is quite frankly weird. You would have thought I insulted Sabre7's daughter the way he smugly responded with insults about what I would and wouldn't accept.

This is the forum where people analyze, discuss and argue about the minutiae of all manner of flashlight issues and I get grief for searching for a simple light and rejecting those that don't meet my requirements? Strange indeed.

I WILL be happy when I get the light I specified. It is not an insult to anyone here if that light is not available or easy to get so settle down with the "settle or get out of town" nonsense.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now now,come on you are only on 7 posts and telling someone to get off CPF,the op to be fair is looking for something specific he wants and has the right to find his holy grail,we are a bunch of collectors trying to help each other and replies like yours is childish to say the least.

ztm

Banned

Now now,come on you are only on 7 posts and telling someone to get off CPF,the op to be fair is looking for something specific he wants and has the right to find his holy grail,we are a bunch of collectors trying to help each other and replies like yours is childish to say the least.

Thanks...my original post was more of a rant anyway not a "find me this light" post as I have been through that. I am just frustrated that such a simple light is so elusive. I am also frustrated that there is so much focus on 123s and so little on single AA in the quality range. Surefire would sell TONS of single AA lights especially outside the US but they ignore this.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am also frustrated that there is so much focus on 123s and so little on single AA in the quality range. Surefire would sell TONS of single AA lights especially outside the US but they ignore this.

Surefire light's are very well regulated even on single cell cr123 and regulation generally sucks on single cell primary AA light's, maybe they don't want to go there. There is plenty of high quality AA light's it just seems there is just that one that you want hasn't been made. Like the member said before me we are collectors and sometimes we look for very specific things, there is nothing wrong with that if fact the hunt for me sometimes is half the fun. In your case it seems the fun has worn off so lets look seriously at your options, as mentioned the custom light by a CPF member maybe you can eventually contact one and get want you want. If that continues to not work out you are going to have to except defeat for now or settle with what you have or something else.

This is all based on the assumption that what you want does not exist, so far through your 1 year search and other members reply's it seems it does not but who knows maybe you will come across something.

red02

Enlightened

.......Surefire would sell TONS of single AA lights especially outside the US but they ignore this.

No Surefire dealer is allowed to ship outside the US, except APO/FPOs. They don't ignore this its just that Surefire is a gov't contractor first and foremost and they probably make some untold amounts (read: very large) from appropriations bills and do not concentrate on mass market consumers.

ztm

Banned

No Surefire dealer is allowed to ship outside the US, except APO/FPOs. They don't ignore this its just that Surefire is a gov't contractor first and foremost and they probably make some untold amounts (read: very large) from appropriations bills and do not concentrate on mass market consumers.

Then how are they sold all over Europe and Asia as I know first hand? Are those all grey market?

red02

Enlightened

Don't know about Europe, but I've heard of places selling them as far as Australia. Perhaps they have NATO dealers, but they are probably marked up to no end because of import/export that sort of thing. All I know is that every US dealer and Surefire's official website has written in big, red, bold, letters "we won't ship outside the US, no matter what".

I have no doubt that Surefire relies on gov't sales and those really wont be impacted by those extra markets enough to listen to them.

mdocod

Flashaholic

I fully understand your frustration. I honestly haven't pulled the trigger on hardly any lights in the last several years. Having developed preferences and desires over my years at CPF, I often hold back because nothing meets that perfect arrangement...

My "ideal" LED EDC light would be a well built 1x18650 powered job that operates very similarly to behavior you are after. A forward clicker on the tail, a high and low mode via bezel twist with the low mode being very very low by comparison to the high mode, perfect regulation in both modes, warm emitter, no programming or 5-mode or strobes or selector rings. High mode in my case should be 250+ torch lumen, low mode should be around 5 lumens. Both modes should operate with remarkable efficiency.

Obviously nobody makes that, but there are many things that might come close enough that I would make do and be happy I suppose.

Eric

ztm

Banned

I fully understand your frustration. I honestly haven't pulled the trigger on hardly any lights in the last several years. Having developed preferences and desires over my years at CPF, I often hold back because nothing meets that perfect arrangement...

My "ideal" LED EDC light would be a well built 1x18650 powered job that operates very similarly to behavior you are after. A forward clicker on the tail, a high and low mode via bezel twist with the low mode being very very low by comparison to the high mode, perfect regulation in both modes, warm emitter, no programming or 5-mode or strobes or selector rings. High mode in my case should be 250+ torch lumen, low mode should be around 5 lumens. Both modes should operate with remarkable efficiency.

Obviously nobody makes that, but there are many things that might come close enough that I would make do and be happy I suppose.

Eric

Sure I would love 250 I was just picking 100+ as I thought it was more reasonably achievable with at least an hour of run time. But hey...brighter on high the better!

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Mind the heat - a 1xAA body can overheat pretty easily once you start getting over 100 lumens. My 1xAA EDC, an older Jet Mk IBS, hits 225 lumens on max, and will easily burn your hand after about a minute and proceed to incinerate itself after that..

That's where the third mode comes in, my light is set for a 2 lumen low, a bright as possible nonstop without overheating ~100 lumen high, and max.

bansuri

Enlightened

The Ultrafire RL-168 is almost there but the switch is reverse. Can they be swapped?
The good news here is that people change over time, and as you've mentioned you've spent years looking for this one configuration, perhaps enough time has passed, or will, and you'll open up to the idea of a super-reliable twisty and suddenly you'll be faced with choices. Or maybe you'll find a 3-mode without memory and a bright medium and you can simply skip the high mode.
Are any of the near-misses in your junk drawer close enough that an emitter upgrade would get them close to your needs? Have you tried Lego-ing?

ztm

Banned

The Ultrafire RL-168 is almost there but the switch is reverse. Can they be swapped?
The good news here is that people change over time, and as you've mentioned you've spent years looking for this one configuration, perhaps enough time has passed, or will, and you'll open up to the idea of a super-reliable twisty and suddenly you'll be faced with choices. Or maybe you'll find a 3-mode without memory and a bright medium and you can simply skip the high mode.
Are any of the near-misses in your junk drawer close enough that an emitter upgrade would get them close to your needs? Have you tried Lego-ing?

I have wanted this type of light for a very long time...it is just classic and utilitarian and perfect for my needs. Yes I have tried legoing and nothing has worked. Over the years people have sworn a certain combo will work only to find those parts are never in stock anywhere and usually won't fit right anyway. Lastly no I have nothing that is close enough. All of my requirements are chosen for a reason...for example twisties do not allow momentary (or not easily)...I am not picking specs just to make it hard...I wish to god this was a stock light I could buy from Surefire.

I really want an E2E body/tailcap (or very similar clone) to be used for this. That leaves modding a head or drop in and a battery sleeve...neither of which I can do myself. Hopefully someone can someday before I am too old to care :)

Last edited:

ztm

Banned

You could try a P60 boost driver with a 2 stage tailcap (search L4 trueblue mod). That would give you two levels and the choice of host.

I sent you a PM about this...can you explain how this translates so an AA light? Will this P60 run on an AA?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

"A tough forward clicky with momentary and constant, two settings high and low, single AA simple form factor light seems like a logical standard thing..."

Mmm...sounds like a Quark AA Tactical.

"If Fenix can put out a 100 lumen + light then anyone can..."

Mmm...sounds like what 4sevens has done.

"...just a simple and durable 2 mode light with superb quality."

Mmm...sounds like a Quark AA Tactical.

O dear, you have to program it. Boo-hoo. Seriously, get over it and just get a quark. Good value, top performer, beautiful beam and top warranty.

Ok so it might get sent back to China for repairs if anything goes wrong. Buy another one as back up. You've already been waiting for "years" so a few months without one light ain't gonna kill you is it.

It's everything you want once you get the levels programmed and then never touch it again, ever. It is forever then "A tough forward clicky with momentary and constant, two settings high and low, single AA simple form factor light."

Unless of course you'd rather die than have a good functional light, your choice.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's wrong with a Quark AA Tactical?

Too many modes...too risky on getting a green tint...super slow warranty service...it's just not the light.

I'm going to bring this one back up, it's really extremely easy to program this light and once you have it set, that's it, no more worrying about too many modes. Next on the green tint, you can get it in a neutral or warm white tint. Have you personally dealt with 4Sevens' warranty service?

Also here's a great thread you should check out on the Quark's toughness http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=219258

I myself have always wished for a AA light like the Surefire E1L and I have found happiness with my Quark AA tactical with a neutral white LED.

Rat6P

Enlightened

Has the Fenix L1T been suggested?

I bought one about 5 years ago (when they first came out ne way) for a gift.
Apparently its still going......they had the forward clicky as well.

ztm

Banned

To those of you who are unhappy with my requirements feel free to buy whatever light you like. No need to come in here and insult me or be smug about it.

I am not going to buy a light because people try to keep cramming it down my throat and tell me to "deal with it". I have reasons for rejecting the lights available so far...and it doesn't matter two licks if YOU approve of them or not. Buy as many of those lights as you like and have fun.

rat6p I was trying to think of that model number as I remembered Fenix had a dual mode light at one time...alas it is a reverse clicky with no momentary amongst a couple other things...but thanks for reminding me of the model so I could check it out.

I might have something that could work in member "nailbender's" craftsmanship...if it works out I will detail it for others who have a similar interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't know about Europe, but I've heard of places selling them as far as Australia. Perhaps they have NATO dealers, but they are probably marked up to no end because of import/export that sort of thing. All I know is that every US dealer and Surefire's official website has written in big, red, bold, letters "we won't ship outside the US, no matter what".

I have no doubt that Surefire relies on gov't sales and those really wont be impacted by those extra markets enough to listen to them.

From Surefire site.

To locate an international dealer, contact International Sales at:

One of my UK suppliers is an official Surefire dealer.

http://www.heinnie.com

DM51

Flashaholic

The OP has specified a very precise requirement, and it is a very interesting one IMO. Members have made some interesting and helpful suggestions, but the OP is perfectly entitled to decline them if they do not meet his requirement. This thread is almost a challenge to this board to see if we can arrive at a solution, and (to me, anyway) that is part of what makes CPF the great forum it is.

The solution will most likely be in 2 parts. KeyGrip seems to have got closest to it.

The first part involves modification of the head (and possibly the tailcap too). This job has Milkyspit written all over it - he does Custom jobs like this the whole time. PM him with the details, and ask him what he needs. He'll probably tell you to send him an E2e or E2L so he can mod it for you.

When he has done it, you'll have a light that does what you want but has a body tube that is ~17mm too long for an AA cell. You can use a 17mm spacer, and wrap the AA cell in paper to stop it rattling, or you can go to step #2 - to make the tube the right size.

For that you'll need an after-market replacement tube (some suggestions have been made) or alternatively you could send the tube off to be shortened from 67mm to 50mm and re-threaded. There are plenty of people who could do this work for you - many of them hang out here in MMM. Send a PM to a few of them and see who responds.