Individual preference for silver flashlight

Holiday

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why, I just cannot resist the tiny silver flashlight, all because i am girl? actually I have poor professional ideas to choose which flashlight owns the best performance ,or comparing with each light to get the difference. I even could not figure out the difference with the XM-L and XM-L2, whatever, I mean, Only like silver flashlight made of stainless steel, regardless the style of emitter, modes,drivers (blabla) ,just care about the out appearance is a weird hobby. I bought DQG SPY now it is my new favorite, :)
so , the first time to ask for some more technical questions, how do you think of the on the road C70? how about the special technical advantages? do you like this tiny beautiful light? i am considering to buy one, :p

Craig K

Enlightened
Sorry O/T

Location Spain,...I am a Formula 1 fan do you like Fernando Alonso?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suggestion>???

If you like silver, what about Titanium? Search up something like a Eagletac D25 Titanium. Just wanted to give you another suggestion. Alot of folks around here like silver flashlights too! As for the the C70 on the road performance, well I have always been a Volvo fan! :twothumbs

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I used to carry around a silver E1B all the time, and I like that it does not show wear as much as the black version does.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm ok with shiny lights when used for recreational or non-tactical scenarios. In a tactical scenario, shiny can be a bad thing.

:D

As for buying lights the way you buy jewelry, there are MANY here who do that...and there are certainly some absolutely gorgeous lights.

As for the C70 (Volvo?) , the lights come with a car, so that's a nice feature?

:D

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
think like this:
technically aluminium is the best
... steel is really BAD, Titanium is not much better ... in regard to heat management with led lights and in regard to overall proberties of the materials

color:
makers tend to focus on those "tactical" ppl, so therefore no.1 choice is: black ...

as to the other things (if You wanted "answers"):
* XM-L2 is the newest version of that led, more efficient (but in reality - for Your application - not that "needed")
* XM-L / XM-L2 overall "makes no sense" ;) in such a small light, because you can not bring "enough" power (bigger battery)
* XM-L/XM-L2 makes a wider beam than the other "best" solution (the Cree XP-G / XP-G2) and possibly the XM therefore is best suitable for the application

"on the road" light:
check out 4sevens preon for an aaa light,
check out 4sevens quark mini aa,
check out 4sevens atom
... for lights You do not have to worry, if they are at the upper part of the technical possibilities
;-)

ven

Flashaholic
On the road seems to be a new brand,for those not sure look on banggood,item is SKU: SKU126982

BriteLite2

Enlightened
yes look at the ultimate TITANIUM!!!! It is so much better/cooler than steel and lighter to boot. Its a magical metal and there is a cool thread somewhere on CPF that talks of Titanium and how cool it really is. dont worry about heat mgmt . I havnt seen a Ti light yet thats self destructed/exploded due to it being a Ti host .

I understand your fixation. I have it also !!! stand tall and proud!!!

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
9y2uzaja.jpg

Here's my "silver" torch ;)
D25cvn titanium

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always just use bare aluminum.

Take any aluminum flashlight... soak the aluminum parts in Greased Lightning for a couple hours to remove the anodizing. Then sand it lightly with fine sandpaper and steel wool, then polish it with metal polish (I use Blue Magic). Gives a very shiny silver look. Scratches easily... but can be periodically re-shined.

And because it's aluminum, it's much lighter and has much better thermal properties than titanium or stainless steel.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
yeah but bare aluminum just doesnt hve that deep rich quality of titanium or even stainless steel. Its lighter and looks cheaper and its so soft without Hard Anno .

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont worry about heat mgmt . I havnt seen a Ti light yet thats self destructed/exploded due to it being a Ti host .
it is not the light getting "damaged"
:rolleyes:

* it is the diode getting "cooked"
(and thus at least reducing output and lifetime - possibly to a level, even the theoretically long lasting diodes show negative effects)

* or it is the light overheating and reducing output to protect the led (in case of a "good" light) - which wont get damages but also is not what most ppl would like in a light.

and also there is cost (material & machining) - which in case of someone searching for a ti light, has not any effect ...
;)

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm a big fan of "silver" lights too. I favour titanium but have a few stainless too. I just like a solid light with a durable finish (or one that can be easily fixed like ti).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why, I just cannot resist the tiny silver flashlight, all because i am girl? actually I have poor professional ideas to choose which flashlight owns the best performance ,or comparing with each light to get the difference. I even could not figure out the difference with the XM-L and XM-L2, whatever, I mean, Only like silver flashlight made of stainless steel, regardless the style of emitter, modes,drivers (blabla) ,just care about the out appearance is a weird hobby. I bought DQG SPY now it is my new favorite, :)
so , the first time to ask for some more technical questions, how do you think of the on the road C70? how about the special technical advantages? do you like this tiny beautiful light? i am considering to buy one, :p

How very refreshing to here of someone who likes a light just for its looks alone.All this total nonsense of tints and strange greenish patterns etc etc is just chat for the Anorak wearers and armchair scientists.If you want some fun just watch You Tube un boxing videos as you have some complete spanner opening a box to show his new flash light now that has to be really sad,by all means show us all the UI etc but opening a box.

Personally i find the run time thing a load of silliness as well as i have plenty of batteries charged up and i keep a good stock of decent Alkalines which i love to use in everyday items and if i have to worry about run times i should have not bought it in the first place.:cool:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes look at the ultimate TITANIUM!!!! It is so much better/cooler than steel and lighter to boot. Its a magical metal (..)
Contrary to popular belief, it's not that special really. But it does have some nice properties. :) For example in the earth's crust, it's more abundant than common metals like nickel, zinc, copper or lead. It's just difficult to process, which makes titanium products expensive.

I just like a solid light with a durable finish (or one that can be easily fixed like ti).
+1

Personally I prefer gold-like materials/finish. But in practice this means copper alloys, which although nice, are heavy and don't stay as they look new (which some ppl like, but I prefer the new/shiny look). Or yellow/gold color anodizing, which doesn't come in high polish and wears off. Or gold-plated, which is hard to find, expensive and also wears off. Or a gold alloy, which is heavy & very expensive. :( Or beryllium, which has few common uses (for good reasons).

So titanium is a '2nd best' for me, followed by stainless steel (heavy, but okay for a keychain light for example) and the common aluminium.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contrary to popular belief, it's not that special really. But it does have some nice properties. :) For example in the earth's crust, it's more abundant than common metals like nickel, zinc, copper or lead. It's just difficult to process, which makes titanium products expensive.

Glad to see there is someone not drinking the Kool-Aid. Titanium is many things, but a miracle metal it is not. It (particularly in the areas of strength and density) can be overrated. And it is just plain lousy at conductivity, both thermal and electrical. Which happens to be among the most important factors in regards to flashlights.

However, it is pretty special when it comes to heat. It can take far higher temperatures than aluminum or steel without losing much strength. This thread provides an example.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
Not a Koolaide drinker

I work in the area of aircraft hot component repair where titanium is used quite frequently for its specific properties. I understand its strenght and weaknesses .Just because something is abundant doesnt make it any less amazing. Thinking Obamacare is a great thing for the poeple of this country is drinking the proverbial Koolaide.

Titanium is a very cool metal whether overpriced in the flashlight industry or not . which it is overpriced thats a fact. But it is in the aircraft industry also. I routinely handle parts valued at $20,000 plus that require repairs costing thousands more .

I dont know if i would go so far as to say it is "lousy" at electrical conductivity either. a bit of an overstatement dont you think ?

Its a fun metal for flashlights and many other everyday items . is it a necessity for lights?nope just fun.

Latest posts