Inova X1 (3rd Gen) First Impressions

st_tammy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I thought I'd let you know that I've given away my X1 3rd gen. I wasn't happy with the runtime (2hours) and the lumens.

Instead, I just got a Fenix L1D CE Q5 and it's great. The build quality surpasses the X1, you can stand the light, various modes, amazing lumens in Turbo mode, various mode settings, nice case, spare bits, upgradeable, the list goes on....

X1 is about as bright as 'medium' setting on the Fenix. Moreover, I get about two hours in Turbo mode which leaves the X1 behind. Totally.

Although the Fenix costs twice as much and it doesn't have lifetime guarantee like the Inova I absolutely love this little light!

Twice I've bought an X1 with very positive initial impressions but gave them away too quickly.

P.S. I just can't believe this is made in china!

cyberspyder

Enlightened
I gave up on getting X1s after the shoddy lens fell out twice....my Gen 2 had to go back twice...I'm not sure if I want to get the Gen3, as I want a really long runtime light, and the Gen2 offers(ed) that (10 hours vs. 2). Hell, I have no idea why people are b!tching at the limited brightness....it's the perfect walking light or tent light, as it doesn't throw out alot of light that would ruin your nightvision or blind you.

Brendan

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I'm not sure if I want to get the Gen3, as I want a really long runtime light, and the Gen2 offers(ed) that (10 hours vs. 2).

I've had all three versions for a while now and I can surely say that you can follow your idea and do without Gen 3. The beam is not better than Gen 2 and the runtime is poor. I use Gen 2 for reading in bed and the battery lasts forever...:)

BP2000

Newly Enlightened
I now have 4 INOVA x1 Gen-3 lights. I can say without a doubt that there are large variations between them. They all have what seems to be the same emitter. #1 is quite bright, almost near the same as an X5 only with a neutral white beam. #2 is about half as bright with the same tint. #3 is brighter than #2 but not quite as bright as #1 and has a greenish tint on the edge of the beam with a bluish center. #4 is about as bright as #1 with a warm somewhat reddish tint. The current draw using the same exact cell in all lights (fresh Energizer alkaline) is between 0.720-0.780 Amp. The brighter ones seem to draw more current.

docfi

Newly Enlightened
Taking my third one back to Target. They work for a week or so, start to flicker then die (new batteries don't help). Going back to my Arc AAA-P. It's brighter anyway.

polkiuj

Enlightened
Here's something else to throw out there, I just did some DMM measurements of current pull from the battery (ie, these measurements are NOT what the LED sees but what the driver pulls from the cell) on my two Gen 3 X1s and here is what I found:

Titanium Black
680mA 650mA on Alkaline cell measuring 1.59V
790mA 700mA on Lithium cell measuring 1.75V
690mA 620mA on NiMH cell measuring 1.36v
1990mA 1650mA on 14500 Cell measuring 4.04v

Compare this to the Gen 2 light:
Titanium Black
230mA 200mA on Alkaline cell
240mA 210mA on Lithium cell
120mA 120mA on NiMH cell
430mA on 14500 cell

Did I take crazy pills, or is this new LED radically ineffecient?
sick2.gif

Also, while there is a slight variation of current pull from two different Gen 2 lights, there seems to be a pretty big variation between the two different Gen 3 lights. The tints are quite a bit different, but one doesn't really look radically brighter than the other one.

I'll keep them, but I'm starting to like the Gen 3 X1 less and less. It's a solid product and as I've said, I like the beam it throws... its sort of like the hotspot is tiny... not really even a hotspot, but more like one teensy area is brighter than the rest, but the spillbeam is very nice. If this were the only >$2 light I'd ever owned, I'd likely be quite happy with it but other than the improved tint over the Gen 2, it's not a very attractive light at all.

It's sort of like deciding between two cars with identical internal sizing, external sizing and looks. But one car gets 40 miles per gallon and does 0-60 in 8 seconds, and the other one gets 12 miles per gallon and does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. Just doesn't seem like much of a trade-off.

(Edited for spelling and clarification.)

Hey!! Sorry for bringing up an old tread. I would like to know how does the X1 work with a 14500. Will it kill the light?? =D

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I just purchased what I believe is a 3rd gen Inova X1 from a UK supplier - "2.0W" printed on the packaging and what looks like a PWT luxeon emitter (tiny square emitter on a gold PCB w/ reflector).

The most interesting part is that I only measure 0.23A current draw at the tailcap with a fresh eneloop. I was expecting almost an amp after reports of 3rd gen X1's only lasting 2 hours or so. Yes I know how to measure current and I used the 10A scale.

Brightness looks to be brighter than my old Fenix L0P but slightly dimmer than a Streamlight Microstream. I need to do a runtime test...