Is no one bothered by their two toned D10?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My D10 has the mismatch, but it's the sort of thing I only noticed after I read this thread, and even then only after I shone another torch on it. Call me weird, but I think it actually looks good.

I've gotta say, the threads with users sniping at other users for daring to have different torch priorities are starting to get me down :(
I apologize if my posts came across as sniping. It hit a sensitive spot with me because I used to be that guy, who was all about the light being perfect. I had to learn to get over it. It was driving me crazy not to be able to use my lights.

In fact, I would get really upset over any dings or scratches, or any minor imperfection in my lights. I was miserable. I had to really do a gut level check, and decide what was important, and what was not. Now that I have let this go as a personal issue, I'm much happier.

Yes I still get sad / upset if my lights are not perfect, but I'm so much happier, and more productive. So I'm basically sharing with others, don't be like me, that guy who used to worship lights, and be afraid to use them.

I guess in a way I was sniping at my old self.

Hope you understand. The new me is very happy despite these flaws in the lights. I can live with them, and make the lights work for me.

Cheers.

PS - the anal retentative part of me is still there. I put 2 layers of screen protectors on my cellphone, along with a hard case, and then put that in a leather case. I'm working on my OCD, one step at a time. First it's with flashlights, next will be cellphones, and finally onto bigger and better things. Watch the movie "As Good As It Gets" - it highlights OCD as a problem (and maybe a blessing) pretty well.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...and how does this affect it's use? :thinking: I understand if one is a collector & wants the most perfect specimen for the collection...but not for a user. Nothing negative meant here...

I don't have one, but if/when I am able to obtain one - a mismatch wouldn't bother me at all. I'll give you $45 for it! :D

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
Do me a favor, take the light outside, and throw it out on the drive way, roll it around in the concrete, make some dings in it, then ask if the mismatch bugs you.

I can go one than better that i shot my LOD CE.:thumbsup:

Zenster

Enlightened
I didn't think of it until I spotted this thread, but yes, my D10 is mismatched just like in the OP, and no, it doesn't bother me a bit.

litetube

Enlightened
I would also lilke to know if D10/Ex10 owners are finding areas inside the head/body tubes where there is No HAIII at all in the form of vertical lines down to bare metal? If this is where the lights were held to accomodate putting the anodizing on then they should all be this way yes? I have had many lights with anodizing and never seen these "tool" marks but it seems this is normal on the NC PDs?

I am a bit skeptical of the 2 different types of aluminum also. They advertise ONE type of aluminum , being the harder variety, so if they are using 2 types in the head and body that is like selling a car and saying it utilizes Stainless Steel for the skin and then actually using regular sheet metal on the doors and hood.
I have a feeling the Fenixstore rep is either misinformed or just misleading to get you off their back.

Marduke

Flashaholic
There could be any number of reasons for that statement. He may have meant two different anodizing soaks, two different brands or lots of aluminum, or that the head and body are milled out of two different types of 7075 (there are lots of them).

alibaba

Enlightened
I can go one than better that i shot my LOD CE.:thumbsup:

Oh man, if you're serious you know that you HAVE to post a pic or two 'cause I'd love to see how it came out LOL!

As for the OP, no. Doesn't bother me even a tiny bit. I'd rather the torch company spend the $$ where it counts...................the guts/design of the torch. If they have to develop new Ano. methods, throw out more pieces that didn't make the color grade or implement even tighter QC regarding cosmetic issues then that just drives up the price of the finished product. If I was looking for perfection (I'm not) then I'd look to the custom market not Chinese mass-produced torches.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the record, current NiteCore lights use only one kind of aluminum 7075.
I just talked to my CS staff and they said they may have suggested solid stock
versus tube stock - which is true of Fenix lights. I'll have to ask about
how NiteCore does it.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm impressed with the finish on the NiteCores.
They may have very slight differences, but the differences are by far less than
some of even the big players. :p

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry but this doesn't make any sense to me. I asked the "guys" and they say the light is made from a single material.
Yaesumofo

yaesumofo, without posting the actual e-mail here it is word for word from the Fenix-store. AFAIK the both the body and head use 7075 aluminum :shrug:

Thanks for your email. The head and the body use 2 different types of aluminum and as such the HA could possibly look different on them. This is normal and nothing is out of the ordinary.

DRHP

Newly Enlightened
There could be any number of reasons for that statement. He may have meant two different anodizing soaks, two different brands or lots of aluminum, or that the head and body are milled out of two different types of 7075 (there are lots of them).

I replied back to his e-mail to clarify. I'm thinking he meant the head and the body could have been made with two types of 7075 aluminum as you stated.

On another note, the thread intent wasn't meant to bash the quality of the product. I was just a bit disappointed by the mismatch when I received it. Marduke gave a good explanation and that was acceptable to me. To some people a mismatch might really bother them. Aesthetics might come first then function or even hold them at equal value. There's no need to bash on personal preferences.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replied back to his e-mail to clarify. I'm thinking he meant the head and the body could have been made with two types of 7075 aluminum as you stated.

On another note, the thread intent wasn't meant to bash the quality of the product. I was just a bit disappointed by the mismatch when I received it. Marduke gave a good explanation and that was acceptable to me. To some people a mismatch might really bother them. Aesthetics might come first then function or even hold them at equal value. There's no need to bash on personal preferences.
I've spoken to my CS staff. They may have misspoke.
Again, it's the same 7075 alloy.

kromeke

Enlightened
For the record, current NiteCore lights use only one kind of aluminum 7075.
I just talked to my CS staff and they said they may have suggested solid stock
versus tube stock - which is true of Fenix lights. I'll have to ask about
how NiteCore does it.

I think you nailed it. The head end is open on both ends (as a machined part). this will likely be made from tubing. The tail end has an almost closed end (hole for the "piston"), this might be made from solid bar stock. The process to make tube verses bar stock may be different, and might result in the grain structure being a little different, which might affect the anodize finish. They both can be 7075 aluminum, but one might be extruded and the other rolled. They might have a different heat treat (as a raw material).

Wattnot

Enlightened
Nitecore isn't the only one. I bought THREE A2's recently (kept switching back and forth with the LED colors) and all three had multiple colors. My current one has FOUR distinct colors. I'm tempted to contact SF about it but I'm getting used to how it looks and I'm starting to like it!!

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
I thought I might chime in here...

We can send a space probe to Mars and beam back audio and video or even transplant one persons heart into another persons these days but getting HA to match colors correctly seems too difficult? I guess it just means at the end of the day that HA anodizing is designed to make metal more resistant to abuse than to make it look prettier. Which, when I think about it, is fine with me.

I don't take my new flashlight and take it out onto the driveway and roll it around just to beat it up, just like I don't take my new car and side swipe a tree with it just so it doesn't look new anymore. Normal wear and tear is fine but I expect something new to look new.

I appreciate your analogy with the car, (quite clever actually!) just wondering though would you trade two slightly mis-matched (as in only a few people with keen eyes noticed) panels when new, for the assurance that they will look the same down the track even with regular use? :shrug:

For the record - I noticed my D10 had the HA mismatch and it bugs me, I still like the light and is going to be my new EDC untill something better comes along.

Regards ;)

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened
The color matching on mine is perfect. QC? Maybe. There could be several tolerance variables involved. It's not a Ferrari though.:poke::laughing:

Aluminous

Enlightened
Nitecore isn't the only one. I bought THREE A2's recently (kept switching back and forth with the LED colors) and all three had multiple colors. My current one has FOUR distinct colors. I'm tempted to contact SF about it but I'm getting used to how it looks and I'm starting to like it!!

Just a thought -- if you have multiples of the same flashlight, are some of their mismatched-color parts closer in color to parts from other ones you have, that perhaps you could swap to get a better match? :)

Wattnot

Enlightened
Just a thought -- if you have multiples of the same flashlight, are some of their mismatched-color parts closer in color to parts from other ones you have, that perhaps you could swap to get a better match? :)

Thanks but I only own one. I doubt I'll ever own two of the same light, let alone three. I bought the white and sold it to own the A2 with the "true pilot design of red LED's," then regretted doing that, sold that one and bought another white one. I did notice all 3 had the same mismatch problem but I'd be willing to bet each of the same parts matched each other across all 3 lights.

I've worked with wood before and the same exact stain can look noticably different on different types of wood. I ran into this problem refinishing a piano. I bet the same sort of thing is happening with these mismatched parts. Different types of metals or different pre-treatments, etc.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head on my D10 is very very very slightly lighter than the tube. Took about a minute of squinting to notice, though! Even if they were mismatched, I wouldn't be bothered. It's a great light :D Sure, max could be higher and low could be lower (and since when was 3 lumens 1% of 130 lumens?), but I love it.