Is Sanyo Eneloop a Good AA?

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Me? Trolling?! IMPOLITE?!...

That was the impression you gave me as well.

....Some others just had a gut feeling and no any data to back their claims, now isn't that trolling?....

How did you come to this conclusion?

Perhaps if you do a search as suggested, you can find out the facts before slinging accusations toward established respected members. You never know, you might find out they actually know what they are talking about.

Egsise

Banned
Unforgiven:
A new member can be treated like led lenser by older members?;)
You noticed that I had linked charts etc. in my posts, right? Those charts were saying that Eneloops had not the best capacity, or lowest self discharge rate.(I did use search, did I)
So why not tell us all the reason why eneloops are still better even if the figures may say otherwise?

You know the answer, I know the answer(now,I guess), but does Mr.AdhdIwantanswerandIcantreadthesethreadsforweeks understand why Eneloops are the best LSD cells?

And pls, this time no answers without explanation, that does not help anyone.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Egsise: there is an accumulated history among the members of this forum in using various makes and types of NiMH cell. This history includes use in real applications over a period of time, with many charge cycles, different charging regimes, in different devices, at high and low temperatures, and spanning various other variables and circumstances.

It is difficult to condense all this history down into a few posts or charts, and it is difficult for a limited number of laboratory tests to give the complete picture of how a given cell performs.

So by all means look at the charts for information, as we all do. But also consider that others have bought these cells and really put them through their paces, and that experience might be worth noting.

To give you one example, SilverFox took the time to put some Eneloops and other cells through over 100 charges on a 15 minute charger to see how they stood up to it. He discovered (as I recall) that the Eneloops were still at 100% capacity after 100 cycles (this thread). There is also an interesting note starting at post 129 of that thread, comparing Eneloop durability with Rayovac Hybrids.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
Stating links as facts, that are just others opinions are no better than your own opinions.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it appears that links to highly regarded members tests and word of mouth from members that actually use the cells is not sufficient, the only other recourse is for anyone having issues with that information is to purchase cells of the various brands that are of interest, perform tests on them, and find the ones that work best for their chosen usage.

SilverFox is this sites resident battery guru and expects a lot from his cells.
If his word is not good enough, no one elses will be.

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but after reading here I decided to buy the Sanyo Eneloops. I also wanted a charger that would do it all and be able to travel. So I bought a Lacross BC-900 charger which seems like the one to buy and it can handle 110-240 as well.
So far I couldn't be happier with the Eneloops and have them in a lot of my AA powered Wiimotes and flashlights as well as TV remotes etc...
I will probably buy another dozen of them after Christmas. Lots of Great advice in this Forum!
Thanks!

JCup

Newly Enlightened
Unforgiven:

You know the answer, I know the answer(now,I guess), but does Mr.AdhdIwantanswerandIcantreadthesethreadsforweeks understand why Eneloops are the best LSD cells?

And pls, this time no answers without explanation, that does not help anyone.

Wow, Eg. I take you to be Mr.Adhd...s, so I will try to be succinct.

It seems to me no one flamed you. You are being too quick to counterpunch.

Here's some knowledge:

1) You can count on seasoned, accurate information from Silverfox or Mr. Happy. Both have strong technical backgrounds and skill. They have helped many, and won a lot of arguments (typically friendly on their part).

2) They and others after long discussions have argued (in more reflective tones than here) regarding why the Eneloops deserve first consideration in all but a few scenarios. Such as the need for that last 26% of capacity that the current highest claimants are (hopefully) providing. If you have to have it, and don't mind giving up the proven reliability, charge latitude, and ability to provide a lot of current with relatively good drop in Voltage - then by all means get the latest Sanyo.

3) Sanyo has been a leader in AA batteries of all types for a long time. Their products are private labeled by big name suppliers. Their 2,700 mAh high capacity is a good battery, and the 2,000 mAh Eneloops are widely acclaimed.

4) I'd rather not debate, so if you want any further exchange with me on the matter, do not disparage.

JCup

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but after reading here I decided to buy the Sanyo Eneloops. I also wanted a charger that would do it all and be able to travel. So I bought a Lacross BC-900 charger which seems like the one to buy and it can handle 110-240 as well.
So far I couldn't be happier with the Eneloops and have them in a lot of my AA powered Wiimotes and flashlights as well as TV remotes etc...
I will probably buy another dozen of them after Christmas. Lots of Great advice in this Forum!
Thanks!

Welcome, Tiff.

I got my first Eneloops about a year ago. Mine have all worked great, and I've given them to friends who used lots of batteries. The little 4 cell Sanyo chargers are pretty good units for the cost and convenient form factor. I have some similar applications, but mostly my Fenix 1xAA and 1xAAA lights, where they perform well.

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
Welcome, Tiff.

I got my first Eneloops about a year ago. Mine have all worked great, and I've given them to friends who used lots of batteries. The little 4 cell Sanyo chargers are pretty good units for the cost and convenient form factor. I have some similar applications, but mostly my Fenix 1xAA and 1xAAA lights, where they perform well.

Thanks JCup, good to be here. I had to really read up on Eneloops to be convinced but now I can see the advice was spot on. I think I just might get the Sanyo Charger as well. The BC-900 tends to read a NIMh as Null if you drain it too low coughWiimotecough. The Sanyo charger should charge it even if it's dead low and then swap it into the other unit. I've told my wife when you see red on the Wiimote battery power level menu, swap out the batteries. Don't wait! Funny thing is my friends think all rechargeable batteries are the same and I used to too. But convincing them isn't easy. :sigh:
I wanted a charger that will work overseas when we go also wanted my Eneloops and Lithium is pretty much taboo on airplanes now. Sometimes the security people have no idea about it and want to hassle you about *any* Lithium battery. But these aren't Lithium! :twothumbs
I love my Nitecore D10 will probably buy another one. Maybe a D20 or a Fenix L2DQ5 for a bigger light. But gotta love the Eneloops they just work so well.
Tiff

Egsise

Banned
Wow, Eg. I take you to be Mr.Adhd...s, so I will try to be succinct. etcjadajadajada

JC! No, no, I said I know. :thumbsup:

Now lets take an example to clear things up(for you):
My friend asks me why on earth do I want to buy Eneloops, it has only 2000mAh.

If I just say "Respected members of CPF said they are the best", I'll probably get an answer like "WAT?":duh2:

Thanks to this forum I can now explain it so that my non-tech friend understands it too.
Big thanks to Mr Happy, SilverFox and many others for their hard work, but in the end it is the facts that count, not that who says it.
JC, you should know that. :ohgeez:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they just as good (if not better) than the Eneloop's ..... or are they some cheap Chinese copy that would not match the quality of Sanyo ?? :thinking:
It is hard to say for certain. I buy Hybrios in the US that look just like those batteries pictured, and they appear in every respect to be rebranded Eneloops (see this thread).

However...others have reported that the Hybrios sold in Europe are different. It may also be that Uniross changed supplier and that more recent Hybrios are different from the earlier ones.

If you buy some and they look exactly like the ones in my photos, then I think you can be fairly confident they are really Eneloops inside. But if they look different, they will not be as good as Eneloops overall.

scott1981

Newly Enlightened
JC! No, no, I said I know. :thumbsup:

Now lets take an example to clear things up(for you):
My friend asks me why on earth do I want to buy Eneloops, it has only 2000mAh.

If I just say "Respected members of CPF said they are the best", I'll probably get an answer like "WAT?":duh2:

Thanks to this forum I can now explain it so that my non-tech friend understands it too.
Big thanks to Mr Happy, SilverFox and many others for their hard work, but in the end it is the facts that count, not that who says it.

Well Eneloops may have 2000 mAh, and you may as well find other cells with much higher capacity, but the question that arises here is, for how long can these cells hold up 1.2/1.3V?
In other words they may have the capacity, but can they fully deliver it? Or will the voltage drop at some point in the middle? Remember that most electronic devices have a cut off voltage in the 1.0/1.1 V I have even heard about some cameras cutting off near the 1.2V range, which is really normal for a NIMH cell.
Eneloops can maintain a higher voltage throughout their discharge rate, which translates into higher watt/hour output, whereas regular cells may have more capacity but their watt / hour output is reduced because of lower votlages in their discharge curve.

scott1981

Newly Enlightened
JC!

If facts is what you care about, then Eneloops have a consistent mark in all areas of importance. Durability is certainly on of them. I would not use a cell that hace 100 mAh extra capacity in exchange for fewer cycles.

Some Facts:

* It is a FACT that Eneloops have a higher watt hour output than regular cells.

* It is a FACT that some others LSDs may exhibit *initially* higher performance, but in the long run Eneloops behave more consistently as the cell is more durable

* It is a FACT that Eneloops have better storage marks - main reason for buying LSDs I guess besides low internal resistance and higer voltage output.

* It is a FACT that people have used them for over 3 years and they are still going strong.

Egsise

Banned
If facts is what you care about, then Eneloops have a consistent mark in all areas of importance. Durability is certainly on of them. I would not use a cell that hace 100 mAh extra capacity in exchange for fewer cycles.

Some Facts:

* It is a FACT that some others LSDs may exhibit *initially* higher performance, but in the long run Eneloops behave more consistently as the cell is more durable

* It is a FACT that Eneloops have better storage marks - main reason for buying LSDs I guess besides low internal resistance and higer voltage output.

* It is a FACT that people have used them for over 3 years and they are still going strong.

I know, read all the posts in this thread pls.
You say facts without any data(charts/comparisons etc.) to back you up. :ohgeez:
For example:
It is a FACT that Eneloops have a higher watt hour output than regular cells..
That is interesting, see this comparison by SilverFox.

odessit

Newly Enlightened
scott1981 - the only FACT is that specs are CONTINUOUSLY changing. Some cells are becoming better, some cells are becoming worse, *some* do infact stay the same as you claim...
It is possible that your statements are (were?) correct, there is only 1 way to find out.

Code:
I've compared new Eneloop and new Sanyo 2700:
After 90 day self discharge discharge - Sanyo 2700 still had higher mAh and mWh. Again - this is for brand new cells after break-in cycle.

Code:
It is not only other LSDs. New high capacity batteries also exhibit same higher performance. See above statement.
I am running 100 cycles on Eneloop and Sanyo 2700 to age them. After that I will put them into 90 day storage to test the S.D. rates, Wh and Ah.

Code:
Depends on the usage pattern - this may not make any difference. After 90 days new Sanyo 2700 still outperformed Eneloop.

Code:
In this I agree with you. Eneloops are good, safe bet. And depending on your performance requirenments may be the right choice too.

Plz, re-read some of the previous posts because your statements are not exactly correct.

BTW - the 100 cycle on Eneloop and Sanyo 2700 test will be done in ~1 week. I am at cycle 39 and 48 as of this morning. I will post mAh rating for each of the 100 cycles. (2A charge 1A discharge). Cycle 100 will get a discharge curve to display mAh and mWh.
Hopefully this will approximate real world usage and tell us if S-2700 may be an alternative for some of us.

Edit - here's data for 6 month discharge.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fotonmag.cz%2Fsvitilny%2Fbaterie%2Fsrovnavaci-test-samovybijeni-tuzkovych-aa-baterii%2F&sl=cs&tl=en&history_state0=

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
For some reason, I never read something about VARTA on this forum. In Europe, they've been repeatedly tested as the best, or one of the best available.
So I bought a few (and they are expensive, at >3 Euros a piece) and I can only fully agree.
The 5706 should have a capacity of 2700mAh, and with my simple current-source type charger that I made 20 years ago, I still have more than 2500mAh... that's not bad!
The oldest ones must be over a year now and still perform flawless.

Maybe an idea to try these?

Timmo.