Is Sanyo Eneloop a Good AA?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason, I never read something about VARTA on this forum.
Varta cells are rare in North America and that is probably why there isn't much info on them here.

Even though there is a good sized population of European members on this site, not many mention Varta cells.

Speculation is that the Varta LSD cells are the same as the Rayovac Hybrids, since both Varta and Rayovac are owned by the Spectrum Brands umbrella company.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Powerex 2700's all went high self discharge after two years :(
After all my 2500's went to the recycle bin, the 2700's tanking did not help much. The only batteries I run now are Eneloop AAA/AA and have not had any problems. Fired up my bicycle rear LED flasher after 6 months and it still throws the lumens. No hassle, no problems and I expect a long life from the Eneloops...that is what counts for me.
The rechargables feed a camera, L2D, L1D as bike lights and a D10 EDC

shadowjk

Enlightened
I have a collection of Varta ready2use cells. I haven't used them much though. At the time they were the cheapest available, the store had priced them at 9€ for a 4-pack, which was below the normal 18€ for 4-pack of "2700mAh" cells of some generic label. Either Varta was doing something smart, or the store thought these "low capacity" cells had to be priced lower.