Is the original incandesent A2 Aviator going extinct?

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well greenLED I may find myself buying some material soon to try it. And I would LOVE to put glow behind the LED's but ive never seen it done on an A2? And just a sidenote I was playing with my lights last night and realized that the green LED's on my A2 dont charge GITD? Or at least not very quickyl. And just as a test I then tried it with my clicky on its lowest setting and within less than 2 seconds of sitting right on the GITD material it was allready glowing bright. Where as with the A2 I left it for 10~ seconds and nothing

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if I send you my A2 and a few purple crayons does that mean Ill get something back that looks just like yours? :crackup:

You're certainly welcome to give it a shot, but I can't guarantee the results :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

greenLED

Flashaholic
Well greenLED I may find myself buying some material soon to try it. And I would LOVE to put glow behind the LED's but ive never seen it done on an A2? And just a sidenote I was playing with my lights last night and realized that the green LED's on my A2 dont charge GITD? Or at least not very quickyl. And just as a test I then tried it with my clicky on its lowest setting and within less than 2 seconds of sitting right on the GITD material it was allready glowing bright. Where as with the A2 I left it for 10~ seconds and nothing
Here you go, my friend. I had a little fun with that thread.

Yup, certain wavelengths don't charge GID at all. Best you can do is UV, then incan, then other sources of "white" light.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to purchase A2 Y/G, but OpticsHQ was out and won't be stocking any. So the decision on LED color is getting hard, they are out of Red as well. I wasn't going to get white because I figured the main beam is white and I'm sure to have some smaller white LED light with me.

So maybe green... or just go for the white LEDS... or find one at the cheapest price and install whatever LEDS I want?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was going to purchase A2 Y/G, but OpticsHQ was out and won't be stocking any. So the decision on LED color is getting hard, they are out of Red as well. I wasn't going to get white because I figured the main beam is white and I'm sure to have some smaller white LED light with me.

So maybe green... or just go for the white LEDS... or find one at the cheapest price and install whatever LEDS I want?

With the white LEDs, you can illuminate a wide area in front of you. If you notice something that looks a bit odd, you can hit it with the more powerful inca beam at a longer distance, in order to get a better look. It's like two lights in one, and you can switch; with just a press of a button.

JonM

Newly Enlightened
Ha, just notice that this thread has come back from the dead. After starting it to find out if I needed to grab one before they were discontinued, I ended up getting one anyway even though most agreed that it wasn't getting pulled any time soon. That was about a month ago, and now it is my most used light. I keep it permanently in the inside coat pocket of my leather jacket. During the day I EDC an E1B. When its dark and I'm outside, it is usually cold as well, meaning I will have my leather jacket and A2 handy. I have gone through six 123s in about 3 weeks because I cannot stop using the high incan beam. Even when the LEDs are more than enough I find myself blasting stuff with the main all of the time.

Great light!

o0o

Enlightened
Okay, what are the specs on this new LED A2?

Why would Surefire discontinue arguably the only decent regulated incandescent light out there?

Are there any plans to make another incandescent model regulated?

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well from what I understand all of Surefire's R&D money is going into LED's so I HIGHLY doubt we will see new incan's

dchao

Enlightened
There are no plans to discontinue to the A2.

No official announcement maybe. But I don't believe it.

Both BatteryJunction and OpticsHQ are getting their stocking level down on new A2's and the color choices are low.

Also if you look on eBay, less popular colors are being discounted heavily.

I smell the new A2 LED will be out very shortly.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
No official announcement maybe. But I don't believe it.

Both BatteryJunction and OpticsHQ are getting their stocking level down on new A2's and the color choices are low.

Also if you look on eBay, less popular colors are being discounted heavily.

I smell the new A2 LED will be out very shortly.
There's plenty of A2's in stock in many online Gun & Knives stores, check it out.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought prices would have been going *up* if it's becoming extinct due to it becoming rarer? Or would that only happen somewhere like here on the marketplace perhaps...

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I wanted a Y/G since the led output is pretty low output anyway and I like my Y/G fauxtons (hey remember when you'd get these for free, now we just get cheap white ones, in the past you'd get a different color in each order or sometimes several colors in an order, or a gizmo multicolored one... big hits with young kids, white is so boring. Anyone know of any dealers still including free colored fauxtons with orders?).

But didn't find one at a decent price so I bought a used WH one. I figure I'm changing the leds anyway with either something newer, or newer and different color, or hopefully the Onion Ring eventually.

I guess I'll have to read up again on the 'old-tech' A2 and get familar with it again. If I spot a real good deal maybe I'll get one more.

Illum

Flashaholic
I thought prices would have been going *up* if it's becoming extinct due to it becoming rarer? Or would that only happen somewhere like here on the marketplace perhaps...

that only happens on an occasional basis...especially on really limited production runs...

the Square A2s might be able to retain their value up to around $150 and Black square A2s around $200...but these prices really only appear on the forum. :ohgeez:

Prices won't change on Surefires side, it does not appear that they post a concrete date when production is over than ramp up the prices. It seems to me that surefire just stops selling a particular model with little warning and continue with the next one, like the KL4 and KL4A.

While it is impossible to buy a luxV KL4 as an L4 package from Surefire now... but when someones L4 breaks down and sent in for repair its replaced not with the KL4A but KL4.
So theres still spare inventory/parts...somewhere:shrug:

computernut

Enlightened
I just picked up a A2 Y/G since it was on my list to buy eventually but I didn't want to wait too long to get the colour I wanted. I found a place in Canada with 2 of every colour in stock so decided to go for it.

I think White LEDs would be the most practical since the Y/G is a bit dim to use if there is any amount of ambient light. I think Red is cool too but really wanted something for reading maps, books, and magazines in the dark and thought the Y/G would be the best for that.

The incan main beam is awesome, I was really impressed by my E2L Cree's colour until I got the A2.:bow:

Illum

Flashaholic
...the Y/G is a bit dim to use if there is any amount of ambient light.

Well, many of us were underwhelmed by the Y/G shortly after its debut on GreenLED's beamshot thread...but there are many others who acquired their own A2-YG and was impressed. so...to each his/her/its own:whistle:

computernut

Enlightened
Well, many of us were underwhelmed by the Y/G shortly after its debut on GreenLED's beamshot thread...but there are many others who acquired their own A2-YG and was impressed. so...to each his/her/its own:whistle:

I'm 100% happy I got the Y/G. If I could have Y/G, White, and Red all in one flashlight that would be perfect :twothumbs I re-read my post and see that it might look like I was saying that I would prefer White or Red but that's not the case. I was probably thinking to myself that I need one of each colour :devil:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs :eek:

Wow DM51 got bit bad!!

I wonder if he was predisposed to this special disorder, or just the product of an earlier conditioning with a color solitaire collection.... :mecry:

computernut

Enlightened
I think that bug hit Atomic Chicken first, then DM51, then Carpenter and I think it stopped there...you may be next:candle:

The only way I managed to get this one was convince my g/f that no more flashlights for the year. :banghead: 2 Surefires in 3 months might have been pushing it. I didn't say anything about flashlight 'accessories', knives, multi-tools, or edc bags :devil: It also means I'll be planning my order for January :thumbsup: