Is the original incandesent A2 Aviator going extinct?

Illum

Flashaholic
The only way I managed to get this one was convince my g/f that no more flashlights for the year. :banghead: 2 Surefires in 3 months might have been pushing it. I didn't say anything about flashlight 'accessories', knives, multi-tools, or edc bags :devil: It also means I'll be planning my order for January :thumbsup:

If I had the honor of having a girlfriend I might have never began this flashlight buying business in the first place...:candle:

buickid

Enlightened
I don't bump old topics for no reason, but I think this issue should be revisited. I just ordered a A2 in red, a certain online retailer's inventory showed one left at a killer price I couldn't pass up, and other retailers show it out of stock. What happening here?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you worry about it going extinct, then buy while you can, buy more than one and keep it in storage. These things don't depreciate and they don't expire. Well, the batts will in ten years time, but you can probably get new ones then.

I have a pair of OLD U2s in case anything happens to one of them.

Must stop reading CPF as well, why am I tempted to re-acquire an A2? I was not that happy with my black A2, it was always overshadowed by the U2, but somehow why is it calling me again?

jellydonut

Enlightened
Yep. I've got five boxed A2s of red and blue flavors.. Maybe one day someone will be thankful for it. :eek:

Perhaps one should buy up LF bulbs and tailstander extensions too, without the lights the parts market will dry up too. :shakehead

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I've got five boxed A2s of red and blue flavors.. Maybe one day someone will be thankful for it. :eek:

Perhaps one should buy up LF bulbs and tailstander extensions too, without the lights the parts market will dry up too. :shakehead

That does happen, yes.

Surefire should continue carrying the A2 lamp but it might be good to lay in a few backup spares.

In the technology world, vendors do announce last dates to order spare parts and end of support/end of life dates but I haven't seen SF do the same. If you are really keen on the A2s then you may have to take a risk and stock your own spares.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that bug hit Atomic Chicken first, then DM51, then Carpenter and I think it stopped there...you may be next:candle:

Now extinct Bawko

DM51

Carpenter

O Holy Carp.

I thought I was nuts having two U2s.

Apparently on the scale of 10, I am still a 2, some folks are 15 and up :p

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I actually bought a white LED Aviator first and thought it was a decent light... then I bought my first Incandescent one and got hooked. Now I have a red and a Y/G round bodies, and two square bodied white ones. I like them a lot more then their "updated" replacement.