Is the SL ProPoly 4AA LUX all that???

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LowBat said:
I wonder if it would be an improvement if the all four AA cells were placed side by side instead of the current two over two configuration...

[/ QUOTE ]
I had the same idea. A more compact side-by-side battery config plus a two stage switch, and the light would be even better.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a doubter on the SL Propoly lux; not anymore. Get one, you'll be pleased. I loan mine to my 7 yr old on our night walks; he loves the throw and brightness of a "real" flashlight, and I don't have to worry about extensive on time (I use nimh) or him damaging the light from drops, etc.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the tail switch? Is it made out of rubber or plastic. I have read a post from someone who said they did not like the feel of the switch, said it felt cheap. Does the switch feel solid like it is not going to easily break off? My fingers are just inches away from placing an order. Pretty bad when I have BrightGuy set up on speed dial... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Dave

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Switch has OK feel, not great but OK; has very audible click. Press a little for momentary, press more and it clicks on. It's rubber.

Switch is protected with small "fingers" extending above and below, so it's unlikely to break off. These fingers also allow light to tail sit, despite the slim body and tail switch. Switch is rounded and fairly low profile, about 2.5 mm high at peak.

pradeep1

Enlightened
This light is a great light. The two I've used have the brightest and cleanest white light I've seen from any 1 W Lux. I use my SL 4AA as a reference when comparing other flashlights to judge beam quality, light output, and color tint. The beam is tight and can throw well, although it would be nice if the beam was adjustable. You can light up a side of a tree from about 50-60 feet easily with this light. For close work, it might be too bright...but it is just right for medium to longer range work.

It works well with NiMH batteries, and I can get a clean 4.5 hours of light with 2500 NiMH easily. This light is cheap to run.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this light, even after now owning and using about ten different 1 and 3 Watt Luxeons.

Haz

Enlightened
I bought a Pelican Super Sabrelite last year, and wanted to purchase a spare xenon bulb, only to discover that it's extremely difficult to find, and expensive too, I only managed to locate it at a scuba diving store, and was available if i placed an order and wait 2 weeks for delivery costing $AUD40~$30USD.
The SL 4AA Lux has solve all the need to carry a spare bulb, is bright, water resistant and meet all my needs, since i don't go scuba diving anyway. Although the xenon light bulb has good throw and appears to have a lot of light initially, it quickly diminishes over a short use. The luxeon bulb makes the subject look alot whiter, with less ability to differentiate colour from a distance. However, it is absolutely amazing with the constant regulated output, and superb with run time. I will definately vote this as flashlight of the year!

Haz

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
I use mine more than any other light and I think it's one of the best deals around. I gave one to my 73 year old mother and now I think she's turned into a flashaholic. She's not into gadgets at all but she really seems to love this light because it's always the same bright white light instead of dimming and turning yellow like her old incan.

mykall

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
joema said:

I had the same idea. A more compact side-by-side battery config plus a two stage switch, and the light would be even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and to justify the cost for SL to develop this, drop
production/development of the 4AA 7 LED model since no one
wants that anyway.

MB

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a couple of these pups and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif!

Great tint, beam, throw, spill, and price.

I concur with T_I_N and TrueBlue on this light.

IMHO this is the best "bang for the buck" light since the SL TL3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kalinux

Newly Enlightened
My only concern is the heet..This light has no cooling at all..It´s cold from outside but try to open one used for 20 min...it´s hot, and I mean realy hot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kalinux said:
My only concern is the heet..This light has no cooling at all..It´s cold from outside but try to open one used for 20 min...it´s hot, and I mean realy hot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Kalinux you should have a look at quickbeam's review at flashlightreviews.com. He had the same initial concerns...

[ QUOTE ]
The one concern I did have with this light surrounds driving LEDs at fairly high rates inside a plastic body. Despite the use of a lot of metal in the lamp assembly to draw heat away from the LED, there is nowhere for that heat to go inside a plastic light. As a result heat could have build up caused damage to the LED. Based upon thermal observations, it does not appear that the LED or the surrounding structure get any where near the manufacturer recommended maximum temperature despite continuous on-time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Luxeons are rated to roughly 120oC (248oF), and the ProPoly gets up around 65-70oC. This is getting too hot to touch, but nowhere near enough to kill the LED. Besides which, it's a $30 light and if the LED packs it in after 5 years instead of 10 years then you've still had pretty good value from it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kalinux

Newly Enlightened
I hope you are right cause I like my Propoly luxeon so much. But I wonder why my HDS u60 is stepping down so fast, not even close to this temperature /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the 3C model. It just feels SOLID, almost like a metal flashlight.

Both 4AA and 3C feel well made my opinion says, and I like the grade of plastic they use--doesn't feel like cheap plastic. But the 3C has no rattle to it (my 4AAs rattle to some degree), and the extra heft really makes it solid. It also seems to have a little more throw because of the reflector size.

edison

Enlightened
I just ordered one. I couldn't resist anymore after reading how cheap they are from fox-intl.

Two questions. Has anyone tried replacing the polycarbonate window with glass? I've read that the stock window has some kind of scratch resistant coating, but this would be a worthwhile upgrade considering my intended usage.

Does anyone have the Ripoffs BL188 loop holster for their PP 4AA? This is the one that brightguy is selling. I'm curious to know how well it fits before buying one. Is it well made?

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edison-

You will not be sorry. This is both a great light and a great value too. One of my favorites.

Don't know about swapping the lens. I think it might be pressure fit into the bezel. You might mess up the watertight integrity my messing with it. I have put UCL lenses in a number of my lights, but the polycarb lens seems to fit the design and materials of this one fine.

I use a Ripoffs CO-112 with mine. It is the padded nylon foam as opposed to ballistic nylon of the BL-188. I prefer this material. I also like their great belt clips as opposed to the belt loop system. You can clip it over your belt, pants, pocket or anything else. They make a CO-188 also. If it is the same size as the 112 it fits perfectly. Just personal preference in the material and attatchment type.

Mark

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the beam pattern of this light: mine has a very bright spot surrounded by a bright corona, then spill. Is this typical with what people have seen?

A UCL would be nice.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Phaserburn said:
About the beam pattern of this light: mine has a very bright spot surrounded by a bright corona, then spill. Is this typical with what people have seen?

Entirely typical. A nice hotspot for great throw, with plenty enough corona and spill so you can still see where you're going in the dark.