Is the SL ProPoly 4AA LUX all that???

spock

Enlightened
i ordered both the 4aa and 3c from fox-intl., service was very fast. the 4aa has great throw with good sidespill. the 3c has about the same throw with less sidespill. both are very white. in looking at a tree in my back yard about 50 feet away, both lights were about equal in brightness. my eyes said the 4aa(!) was slightly brighter. perhaps the sidespill made it seem brighter as it showed more detail of the tree. my new kl-1(4th gen) was also used as a comparison. the 4aa was brighter and threw further than the kl-1. of course the kl-1 is better for edc. am going to order 2 more of the 4aa.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
spock said:
...4aa has great throw with good sidespill. the 3c has about the same throw with less sidespill....my eyes said the 4aa(!) was slightly brighter...am going to order 2 more of the 4aa.
That's consistent with the flashlightreviews.com test results. The main advantage of the 3C is longer run time -- 6 hrs (!) regulated.

My wife has a 4aa I was planning on giving to her dad, who needs a good light. I told her I'd replace it with something better -- showed her Peak, HDS, Surefire, etc. She said no, she wanted to keep the 4aa and get her dad whatever I wanted. She likes the way it feels, the positive click action tail switch, doesn't like tactical-style tail switches, likes the tight beam, etc.

The 4aa at $23 from fox-intl is just a superb gift. A Mag 4D from Wall-Mart is about $20, yet the 4aa is far smaller, lighter, better in most ways. It runs on standard AA batteries, so nothing unfamiliar for people.

Most non-flashaholic friends and relatives have never experienced a light like this, and don't even know they exist. It's easy and intuitive to use -- no tactical tail switch, no twist switch (unfamiliar to many people), incredibly tough and has great throw.

Bertrik

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone ever measured the current and voltage going into the SL PP 4AA lux flashlight (or the LED)?

I measured the current to be about 0.5A from fresh NiMH batteries. Since I have only one multi-meter I could not measure the voltage at the same time. Suppose the NiMH's deliver 1.2V each for a total of 4.8V under load then the total power going into the flashlight is 2.4 W. As far as I know, a luxeon LED nominally runs at 1.2W, so there is quite a difference.

So what's happening? Is this flashlight overdriving the LED? Am I overestimating the voltage delivered by the NiMHs? Is the regulator horribly inefficient (50%)? Or perhaps my multi-meter is getting "dodgy"?

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
edison said:
I just ordered one. I couldn't resist anymore after reading how cheap they are from fox-intl.

Two questions. Has anyone tried replacing the polycarbonate window with glass? I've read that the stock window has some kind of scratch resistant coating, but this would be a worthwhile upgrade considering my intended usage.

Does anyone have the Ripoffs BL188 loop holster for their PP 4AA? This is the one that brightguy is selling. I'm curious to know how well it fits before buying one. Is it well made?
changing the lens to glass would render the light to a lesser shock/abuse resistant. I m sure the design intent of the propoly series is to make the product tough.

edison

Enlightened
GhostReaction said:
changing the lens to glass would render the light to a lesser shock/abuse resistant. I m sure the design intent of the propoly series is to make the product tough.
edison said:
.......but this would be a worthwhile upgrade considering my intended usage.

I think you're correct regarding SL's "design intent"; but I'm not recommending that anyone else replace their stock window with glass.

It's for my light.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting to get it. I bet fox-international is flooded with orders because of this thread.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
OK OK OK - I will get one .... even though it's against my "principles" :D

Is the Xenon version more or less brighter than the Lux ?

Is there a mod anywhere to give it 2 stage output ?

jtice

Flashaholic
Is fox-intl still the cheapest place to get these?
The shipping is killer, and really the only thing keeping me from getting one.

jtice

Flashaholic
TIN,

Yep Greg is great to deal with. I have had quite a few really good transactions with him.

I dont recall off hand, but I think it was only a couple bucks more from him after shipping.

arg, I hate trying to save money, so hard with all these great things to buy ! :green:

~John

hanuman

Newly Enlightened
I received one from Dlsenterprises,http://www.dlsenterprises.citymax.com/page/page/1718926.htm, this Wednesday. Just ordered it on Sunday night. very fast service. I plan to test it on camping trip this weekend.
I did order serveral flashlights from brighthguy in the past. good service but last time I ordered, I got notified a couple days later that they were not in stock. I had to order from somewhere else and paid extra for fast shipping.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had such consistently good service from BrightGuy.com, the only time I buy elsewhere is when they simply don't carry the product.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
With trembling fingers, I gently slit the packing tape on the package from Fox International. Sweat beaded profusely, a few drops staining the cardboard box. Dread filled me as I removed the plastic package housing my new Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon.

I removed the light from the tough plastic housing the yellow light. My shaking hands made it difficult to insert the 4 AA batteries in its slim body.

Fear gripped me, as my fingers moved toward the tail switch.

Did I lose the lottery again ? When I gently press the "on" button, will I recoil in horror at the sickly green of the dim luxeon. My past life with bad luxeons passes before my eyes, as in a dream.

Yes !!! Yes !! A pure white light jumps forth from the deep reflector. White, as pure as a virgins thoughts.

Happiness rolls over me, as in the first time I held my new born daughter. Joy fills my heart.

I WON !!

The beam is tight, with no artifacts, a large corona, and nice side spill. A quick comparison with my Nuwai TM115 3 watt confirms my every wish.

Its a blasted great one. All of the accolades were right on the money.

My pounding heart calms. A feeling of absolute serenity decends upon me, as if I were cloaked in a heavenly sent veil.

Ah, happiness is a great luxeon.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I received one a few weeks ago with some artifacts and a bit of a green tint. Since it was a birthday present, I thought I'd see if Streamlight's full lifetime warranty would help me to get it replaced. The Streamlight customer service, via email, was good, instructing me to send it back to their repairs dept. I included a note saying that since it was new, I wanted a replacement, not a repair. So, at present, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. At the same time, my wife gave me a Streamlight JR. Luxeon. It's terrific. I've been running Panasonic AA Oxyride batteries in it, and it brightens considerably. So, when I get the ProPoly back, I'll probably try the Oxyrides, too.

balazer

Enlightened
Based on Quickbeam's run-time plots and light output numbers, I don't think the Streamlight 4AA is particularly efficient. Compared to the Costco 2AA, for example, it has less than twice the output, it takes twice the batteries, and the batteries don't last as long. I'd be curious to see some numbers about the power being delivered to the LED.

That should not dissuade anyone from buying the 4AA, however. All things considered it's a great light.

balazer

Enlightened
The 4AA is less than twice as bright and doesn't last as long, despite using twice as many batteries. By the numbers from Quickbeam's reviews, it's about 70% as efficient as the Costco 2AA.

I don't know much about regulator circuits, but my theory is that the 4AA has an "automatically controlled resister": the current through the batteries would equal the current through the LED, with only a resister between them. The resistance is adjusted so as to maintain a constant current. The power corresponding to the voltage that batteries are generating beyond the voltage required by the LED is basically thrown away.

That's my theory, anyway. I'm sure there's a name for such a circuit.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! After reading this whole thread, I ordered one of these lights from Fox.

Wow!

I just got it. This is the light I've been waiting for! All of the throw of a good incandescent but with an LED that won't quit on you suddenly or break when you drop it leaving you in the dark.

Great light! Thanks to all of you for your recommendations!

Previously, my "bright light with great throw" was a UK 4AA with the rechargeable lamp ($10 a pop) running on NiMH. My wife dropped it the other day... busted lamp. Now, for $29 delivered, I've got a light that basically throws just as far but with better spill, and no busted lamp if I drop it!