Isn't it cheaper to just replace a bulb??

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Isn\'t it cheaper to just replace a bulb??

I've been going crazy trying to figure which LED flashlight is the best. When it suddenly dawned on me.

Why can't we simply replace the incandescant bulbs on all the flashlights we currently have with LED's? Isn't that less expensive than buying a NEW LED flashlight?

Correct me if I'm wrong, someone!!

grin.gif
)

Brock

Flashaholic
Re: Isn\'t it cheaper to just replace a bulb??

Another problem is that until recently most replacement lamps were also standard LED's which emit light in a certain direction which causes a problem in most flashlights reflectors. Now a company called
<a href="http://Ledcorp.com/catalog.html">
LEDcorp</a> started making 3 and 4 cell PR based replacements that emit light in all direction like a standard lamp. To be honest I really like my 3 cell MAG with the replacement LED in it, it is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

I think another reason is you can make a light like the photon or that style, so small. I think a lot of people are taking advantage of the LED to make a "better light" than just a lamp replacement.

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Brock. Based on yours and Craigs nice review, I ordered the 3 cell replacement from LEDcorp. They seemed very knowledable and friendly on the phone. I'll be putting that LED in a Radio Shack 3 C cell light in our garage. It's got one of the most unique adjustable heads I have ever seen. I wish I knew how to post a picture of it.

But, it could definitely use a nice LED in it.

thanks

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My opinion :
Yes , it can be less expensive to use a LED bulb
replacement . Bulb replacements,when properly
designed and used , work acceptably . But
with bulb replacements you do not get voltage
step-up or regulation found in better designed
LED lights and this can be a major dis-advantage .

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just put 4 5600mcd white LEDs in a 3 D cell Maglight. This is my brightest light so far. I have converted about a dozen lights but this is a real good one to replace the brighter type flashlights used to light up a outdoor path or a good sized room. I just smashed the glass out of a maglight bulb and soldered the LEDs in. The hardest part was filing out the metal collar that holds the bulb in the maglight. I had to take it down to almost nothing to get the 4 LEDs to fit through.

Brock

Flashaholic

You know after hearing about the ring issue, if I try to build one I am going to put the ring on before I solder in the LED's. My question is was the reflector an issue, or is it that much bigger (I am not am home to check). I know this would mean I would have to get a second ring if I want to use the standard lamp in there, but I have a couple of other light so I would just leave the LED's in there.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The reflector wasn't an issue with the 3 D cell maglight. It was just a pain to file down that collar by hand. I wish I had one of those Dremel tools.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad:
I just put 4 5600mcd white LEDs in a 3 D cell Maglight. This is my brightest light so far. I have converted about a dozen lights but this is a real good one to replace the brighter type flashlights used to light up a outdoor path or a good sized room. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what size resistor did you go with? Or are you just running them straight.

THANKS
rolleyes.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't use any resistor. Just running it on the 4.5 volts straight. So far I havn't had any trouble with any 3 cell 4.5 volt conversion burning out an LED.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Here are some pictures of the 4 LED 3 D cell Maglight. No resistor. Picture of light output is at about 10'.

View

View

View

Latest posts