JETBeam RRT-0 Overview With Lots of Pictures

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got my JETBeam RRT-0 Today

As a flashaholic that buys his lights for real world use, and not sitting in my house seeing what the beam looks like on a wall......I am having the hardest time understanding what the complaint about the beam is. It does what it is supposed to do.....Illuminates what you point it at....and does it very well at that. I can't believe how far a little light like this throws, and how bright and beautiful the beam is. It is a well built pocket rocket, and was never advertised as having the smoothest beam. JETBeam has made a OP reflector available for those of you that prefer a smoother beam. I just don't see anything to complain about here. It is a very versatile, compact, and well built light with a killer UI that can take several different kinds of batteries and throw a hella beam from the grip of your hand. :shrug:

Konad

Newly Enlightened

The rings were very obvious outside, in the woods, in the dark. I use my lights every night and take 2-3 of them with me for use and comparison. I have plenty of lights that throw - and have smooth beam patterns.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I am anxious to get outside and do some beam shots(if it ever stops raining). I have all three lights in the Raptor series, and seriously the RRT-0 beam looks smooth as butter compared to its bigger brothers. And, shining it from one end of my house to the other, I can barely see any rings at all. If it looks that good inside, I can't wait to see it outside.

Last edited:

Konad

Newly Enlightened

Fortunately here in the mountains it stopped raining today. Did a nice walk in the woods.
Dont get me wrong, I love the build and quality of the light. I was just disappointed to see the rings.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened

Great post Rob! Talk about pocket versatility. I think I may have to order one soon to add to my Jetbeam collection.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just discovered a glitch in my light that apparently others have also discovered. My AW RCR123's all work. My AW 14500's all work. All of my Duracell LSD NiMH AA's work. But, I cannot get any (have tried 10 of them) of my Made in USA Energizer e2 Lithium CR123's to work. They either stay in low mode, or go to the high mode and then cut out, or get to the high mode and stick there. Very inconsistent behavior. This makes me sad, because I really, really like this light. :mecry: I'm going to have to decide how much of an issue this is to me, because I normally use just rechargeable batteries anyway.

Edit: Tried this from the JETBeam statement posted in another thread, and it works like a charm. All of my 123 primary's work with this method...
clap.gif

"Since it's online measuring of the battery voltage, there is tolerance due to the inner resistance of battery and the working current of the light. Small part of primary batteries with low inner resistance or comparatively higher voltage will be determined as rechargeables by RRT0 circuit, and it will activate Li-ion protection. When such issue happens, users can change another brand of primary battery or you can turn on the flashlight, and use it at low mode for about 1min, and when the voltage is getting a little lower, turn if off and on again, the light can perform normally then."

Last edited:

Matt7337

Enlightened

Every time i come o this forum I see something I want to buy. This particular time, the Ketbeam RRT-0 is it. I haven't boughta light for a while, and whilst the ~10/11 that I have don't all get nearly enough use as it is, I am seriously tempted by the OP's statements to add one of these to my EDC collection.

Can anyone give me a firm answer, as a real world user of the light (not worrying about beam patterns etc but more so the build quality of the light) whether one of these or a Nitecore SR3 would be a better EDC for me?

At the moment I sway towards the NC SR3 for build quality, but this thing looks pretty good too!

Shadow Master

Newly Enlightened

I am jealous, BIGTIME!

The Jetbeam RRT-0 sure looks striking!

I am VERY interested in the Jetbeam RRT-0 and contacted "the tekkies" there asking if there will be any warm tint version available.

Their answer is, "Yes, the RRT-O will come out in a small quantity of warm tint version."

I would like to ask "those in the know," what is the difference between a cool vs. warm beam of light? What are the pros and cons of either?

Also, regarding the RRT-0, I was told we can choose between SMO or OP Reflectors. I have read some concern about the "light rings" and wonder if most folks are opting for the OP version to smoothen the throw.

How much less throw do you think will be cast with the OP reflector? I am used to clean beams of light with my Jet 1-MkII, Surefire E2D, and M3 Combat Light and am not sure I can tolerate the light rings.

Do you recommend a warm or original tint? The smooth or the OP reflector?

Has anyone bought the OP? How does it look? PICTURES?

Jetbeam wouldn't comment on why they didn't place the "Rapid Flash" setting AFTER "Super High" or if they would correct this design flaw (this is my opinion, anyways, but I did not phrase my question so critically).

Personally, I would LOVE an EDC light with 5-6 preset settings that are programmable (perhaps 1/5/20/50/100/240 lumens).

On a side note, if the light performs as expected, it appears it will be "The EDC Light" to beat (unless one is used to packing something more diminutive)!

Thanks,
SM

Arc AAA Premium, Jetbeam Jet 1-MkII, Surefire E2D, Surefire M3 Combat Light, Inova 24/7, Princeton Tec Yukon HL, and "Pre-Enlightened JUNK"

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool...thanks for the review and pics so far! :twothumbs

I can't wait for you to post some outdoor beamshots. How would you say the build quality is compared to an E1B? How do the threads feel in comparison?

Thanks,
Robert

Looks like I will finally have a chance tomorrow. The storm will be gone, and I'll be able to get outside again. To me the JETBeams feel just about as sturdy, durable, and well built as any of the Surefire lights I've owned. The threads look just as robust, and the fit and finish are just as nice. I don't know for sure, and I am not about to do the smack against the wall test. I guess time will tell if the JETBeams hold up as well as Surefire. I will also be continuing to collect Surefire. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sweet. Can someone who's getting this post it with Jet-1 Pro v3.0 (if he has it too) besides it please? :candle:

eddyg

Newly Enlightened

II cannot get any (have tried 10 of them) of my Made in USA Energizer e2 Lithium CR123's to work. They either stay in low mode, or go to the high mode and then cut out, or get to the high mode and stick there. Very inconsistent behavior. This makes me sad, because I really, really like this light. :mecry:
There is some more information about the strange level behavior based on battery usage in this CPFMP reply. I was considering getting one until I read about this "feature". Especially the part where it says "Users should use fully-charged or fresh rechargeable Li-ions, and should not turn off the light in the middle of continous use, or the circuit may have wrong estimation of the battery type." What exactly does that mean? If you're using Li-Ions or rechargeables you're not supposed to turn the light off once you've turned it on for more than a few minutes or the flashlight will get confused? :shrug:

I think I'll wait a little bit until more is known about how the electronics in the RRT-0 work in the real-world.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Especially the part where it says "Users should use fully-charged or fresh rechargeable Li-ions, and should not turn off the light in the middle of continous use, or the circuit may have wrong estimation of the battery type." What exactly does that mean? If you're using Li-Ions or rechargeables you're not supposed to turn the light off once you've turned it on for more than a few minutes or the flashlight will get confused? :shrug:

When you turn the light off you might need to leave it off for some minutes and let the LiIon recover sufficiently voltage to register as a LiIon.

LowFlux

Enlightened

There is some more information about the strange level behavior based on battery usage in this CPFMP reply. I was considering getting one until I read about this "feature". Especially the part where it says "Users should use fully-charged or fresh rechargeable Li-ions, and should not turn off the light in the middle of continous use, or the circuit may have wrong estimation of the battery type." What exactly does that mean? If you're using Li-Ions or rechargeables you're not supposed to turn the light off once you've turned it on for more than a few minutes or the flashlight will get confused? :shrug:

I think I'll wait a little bit until more is known about how the electronics in the RRT-0 work in the real-world.
I take it to mean that if you have a Li-Ion that has low voltage (3.2v or less) and you use the light (dropping the voltage further) then shut the light off and on, the light's circuitry may treat the battery as a primary and not go into light-circuit protection mode when the voltage drops further. This would be dangerous behavior if not using protected cells.

I'm going to wait off on purchasing the RRT-0 because I think there is enough evidence that some primaries fall within the range of the light's protection circuit. Maybe there will be a version 2 update to the circuitry if it's problematic enough. I'd also like a warm tinted version (although most people appear to be reporting warmer tints in their RRT-0s).

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would suck if your life depended on a lot of light but you were stuck with low until it realised what type of battery you're using :shakehead

Even performing everyday tasks that would be a pain!

:shrug:

I love my Jetbeams, but I think this one is trying to hard to be a jack of all trades, but master of none. (in regards to batteries etc)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got my JETBeam RRT-0 Today(Outdoor Beamshots Added)

OK. I finally got the opportunity to add some outdoor beam shots. I compared the RRT-0 with nine other lights on high setting only. They are added to the OP. Enjoy!