Jetbeam RRT-01 Mini VS Sunwayman M11A

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
What's the real difference between the new V11R and the (coming soon) V11A?
With the extender you get 2 for one, a cr123 and an AA light. So why would SWM bother to come out with another V10A? I'm wondering though if the V11r with the extender would be longer then the A version.

Last edited:

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hi,

I could speak about M11R and RRT-01, I own one of each and it is difficult to say which one is better. So some pictures could make the difference for you ?

IMG_4009_800.jpg

IMG_3999_800.jpg

IMG_3996_800.jpg

IMG_4000_800.jpg

IMG_4004_800.jpg

Danielsan

Enlightened
Can someone with good German interpret? Especially at 0:01'33" into the video when he compares the two lights.

He said from his point of view the Jetbeam seems to be brighter then the SWM but its hard to tell. And that the SWm is a nice light, the clip will scratch on the body when openening it, so take care when change batteries.

which flashlight would you recommend me for max Lumen output? which configuration and batteries i need if i want max output and SAVE batteries and charger?

Last edited:

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Take the rrt-01, because it is brighter, can use 18350 for better autonomy. You could choose the exact luminosity you want vs 3 level with the M11R. I use mine with ultrafire 18350 (1200mAh) but you could use IMR 18350 (700mAh) or IMR 16340 (550 mAh) or simple 16340 (750 mAh) it's your choice. :)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frenchyled, can you confirm if the RRT-01's magnetic ring is slightly more raised and easier to feel and turn than the more flush mounted M11R's ring?
I actually have three different versions of the old V10R's, and the ring is flush and often hard to feel for.
I have an RRT-0 S2, it's ring is easy to feel, but the bulging large 25mm head feels bulky in the pocket.
I find that the straight sided flashlights are much more comfortable in the pocket of tight jeans.

Also, which ring is lighter to rotate? Which is stiffer to rotate?
Is the far left and far right detent in the RRT-01's ring stiff, or reasonably light?
They both have 1/3 circle travel, right?

Can you also please confirm if the RRT-01's reflector is shallower than the M11R's, for a wider spill beam, and maybe a slightly larger hotspot.
The RRT-01's hotspot is less intense as well? Coz Jetbeam claims ANSI-FL1 113 meters of throw vs Sunway's 130 meters of throw??

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, does RCR chemistry in 18350 size exist at all?? It would give about 1000 mAH capacity.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, does RCR chemistry in 18350 size exist at all?? It would give about 1000 mAH capacity.

ICR 18350s exist. But I don't think AW makes them in that size. you can find Ultrafire 1200 mAh 18350s with a google search. AW does make IMR 18350 (700 mAh).

Based on the brightness of the RRT-01, I suspect it is pulling more amps than is safe for an ICR 16340 or 14500. Not sure what the safe limit is for an ICR 18350 though. It might be higher since it's a larger battery size.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
AW IMR 18350's do exist, red label rechargables... Mac's EDC series of lights run on them, I'm sure there are others.

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
Frenchy, I don't think the M11R is 3 level anymore. I think it's continuously variable now.

Nevermind,, I was looking at the V11R

Last edited:

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Frenchyled, can you confirm if the RRT-01's magnetic ring is slightly more raised and easier to feel and turn than the more flush mounted M11R's ring?
I actually have three different versions of the old V10R's, and the ring is flush and often hard to feel for.
I have an RRT-0 S2, it's ring is easy to feel, but the bulging large 25mm head feels bulky in the pocket.
I find that the straight sided flashlights are much more comfortable in the pocket of tight jeans.

Also, which ring is lighter to rotate? Which is stiffer to rotate?
Is the far left and far right detent in the RRT-01's ring stiff, or reasonably light?
They both have 1/3 circle travel, right?

Can you also please confirm if the RRT-01's reflector is shallower than the M11R's, for a wider spill beam, and maybe a slightly larger hotspot.
The RRT-01's hotspot is less intense as well? Coz Jetbeam claims ANSI-FL1 113 meters of throw vs Sunway's 130 meters of throw??

Peter, I can't really confirm that the RRT-01 magnetic ring is easier to feel and turn than the M11R, on my two sample, I personally prefer the M11R one.
The RRT-01 is stiffer to rotate, but don't forget that it is an infinite rotation ring vs a 3 level position for the M11R, I think you need to ask someone who have a V11R to exactly compare. What I appreciate, even if the ring is stiffer, is the ability to choose exactly the amount of light you need with precision (vs V10R that I found too smooth)
Yes , between 90° for the M11R to 120° for the RRT-01.
At maximum I find the RRT-01 hotspot more intense, in my opinion, the M11R is slightly flooder than the RRT-01, but not really much. The two beams are very close.
I don't really undertand why only 113m for RRT-01 and 130 for M11R ?? It need to be investigate ;)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The RRT-01 also takes imr 18350 batteries! Doc.
RRT 01 goes so low it makes a trit look bright....Surefire T1A or Titan are 'blinding' on low compared to it. It's an incredible range - and I get 542 lumen out of mine on a freshly charged IMR 18350 cell....
So the IMR 18350 is essentially a higher capacity option to the 16340, allowable due to larger interior of the RRT-01? Okay, I'll be ordering at least one of them as well...

JB3

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know approx runtime on the RRT-01 @ 500 lumens?
Also, I would think it might get a bit hot?
Anyone have any experiences with one yet?

Pöbel

Enlightened
Low on the M11R is not 4 Lumens as advertised but 0,3 Lumens. This should translate to about 130hours of runtime on low.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know approx runtime on the RRT-01 @ 500 lumens?
Also, I would think it might get a bit hot?
Anyone have any experiences with one yet?

I recall seeing some manufacturer documentation that listed runtime at 20 minutes on high using a 700 mAh ICR 16340 cell.

It's possible this light might pull more amps and is brighter using an IMR cell. It's also possible that the amps it pulls even on an ICR cell could exceed the maximum 1.5 amp draw from 16340 ICRs. If that's the case then it would be safer to use an IMR cell or perhaps a larger 18350 ICR cell that might be able to sustain a larger current draw safely.

I run my RRT-01 on an AW 18350 IMR cell. I haven't tested the runtime, but as far as heat goes... yes the light gets hot rapidly at maximum power. So much so that I would not recommend tailstanding at that power for more than a minute. If you carry the light in your hand, you can run it considerably longer at maximum power since your hand will help wick away the heat.

Note: If the light starts to overheat it will give a brief flash. If you see the flash immediately turn down the brightness. I had an older Jetbeam BK135a that gave this flash when it overheated and I didn't realize what the flash meant and left the light running, which caused permanent damage to the light.

In my testing with my RRT-01 I only experienced this flash when I tried tailstanding the light and letting it run at maximum power. When I saw the flash I immediately turned down the light (which did not suffer any damage). The body felt very hot to the touch. Note that I haven't tried my light on ordinary CR123 cells. At the lower voltage of those cells heat may not be an issue.

I like the RRT-01 for its small size, easy one-handed control, extreme brightness, and low low. But when filled with an IMR cell this is not a light I'd want to hand to someone unfamiliar with high performance flashlights.

Pöbel

Enlightened
I would prefer the light stepping down when it overheats (like HDS) instead of promting the user to do so. If one misses the flash, you might end with a damaged light.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer the light stepping down when it overheats (like HDS) instead of promting the user to do so. If one misses the flash, you might end with a damaged light.

Agreed. Having an automatic step down when the light gets dangerously hot would be a better way of doing it.

Spidey82

Enlightened
In my testing with my RRT-01 I only experienced this flash when I tried tailstanding the light and letting it run at maximum power. When I saw the flash I immediately turned down the light (which did not suffer any damage). The body felt very hot to the touch. Note that I haven't tried my light on ordinary CR123 cells. At the lower voltage of those cells heat may not be an issue.

Fireclaw, how long did it take to "flash"?

H2oplayer

Newly Enlightened
I have both of these lights. RRT01 is my everyday carry. The ring control is very easy to use and I like the infinitely variable brightness. Yes if used at full power for extended periods it will get hot but I do not need to run full power that often but can when needed. If I really need this much light I can always breakout something more appropriate. The m11a is a good light but it sits in backup,on my motorcycle. I carried both around for a while and found I was always reaching for the RRT01. I recently picked up the UF18350 at 1200ma they are working really well, long run time and the light is even brighter on max then it was with TI cr123 cells.