Just got a CMG U-G...AWESOME light!

Drjones

Enlightened
Just got the CMG Infinity Ultra Gov. from Countycomm. Wow! What a light!!! I am really impressed with how bright it is for such a compact, one-LED light! And to think that it'll maintain that level of brightness for ~20 hours is amazing!

I'm very happy with it overall. If anyone is considering getting one, you must. It is an incredible value for $18 from CC, and would make a great emergency/backup light, or even a good EDC. I think with that huge power outage back east, we've all seen how important it is to be prepared. Bet there are tons of people back east who would've given a lot for a light like this at that time!

Oh, forgot to add: The most amazing thing is how WIDE the beam spill is!! It has quite a large, bright "hotspot" but the corona (proper term?) is HUGE. Pointing it at the ceiling while laying on the ground, the ceiling being ~10-12 ft, the beam corona was probably 8ft in diameter, which is incredibly useful for illuminating a very large area.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on your purchase Drjones. It's one of my favorite lights, and for indoor use is the one I grab most often (check on the kids while they're sleeping, get something from another room without turning the house lights on, etc.). If you want/need longer runtime and better cold weather performance (as well as longer shelf life), drop an Energizer lithium AA cell into it; I keep an Ultra-G (as it's commonly referred to around here) in each of our cars loaded with a lithium cell for emergency use, and it gives me real peace of mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Drjones said:
...And to think that it'll maintain that level of brightness for ~20 hours is amazing!...

[/ QUOTE ]
It is a very popular light but I'm afraid that the 20 hour claim appears to be a bit of an exaggeration.

See the Run-Time Plot - CMG Infinity Ultra-G done by Roy which shows an ~11 hour run-time.

Pat

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
"Pointing it at the ceiling while laying on the ground..."

Heh heh heh, yep, you got it bad DrJones. Lose your lights an' you'd be jones-in' fer sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what the run time on lithiums does for run time?
As far as run times, how much more can I expect from lithiums? Maybe 16-18 hours on a lithium? The Ultra-G is a great emergency light that I will put in my wife's car, throw it in the glove compartment with a lithium "just in case". I will need to get her an Arc AAA for her keychain so she will leave the U-G alone.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Keep your eye out...........the CMG Sonic-G will be available at Countycomm soon!!!

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
As far as run times, how much more can I expect from lithiums? Maybe 16-18 hours on a lithium?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one's easy. The (one and only) maker rates it at 2900 mAh for the 200 mA load (almost exactly what the Ultra draws), so 14.5 hours seems reasonable. Not all that many more minutes, but the output will be higher and more consistent the whole time.

Doug Owen

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I love how bright and wide the beam is from my Infinity Ultra. Though I haven't done a direct comparison, it may be comparable to my Badboy 400/minimag with a Mcflood reflector. The lithium battery is also great for reducing the weight when you wear it around your neck.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I just put the Mcflood back in my minimag/BB400 to compare with the Ultra. The hotspots is identical, but the spill beam is brighter and more even with the Mcflood, though slightly smaller than the Ultra.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pondering... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
The Arc AAA lasts 40% longer than the Sonic AAA so I wonder if the same would hold true with the Arc AA VS the Infinity AA? I can see one of those lights rolling lithiums for a great emergency light that would last through a long winters night.

Plink

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Doug Owen said:
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
As far as run times, how much more can I expect from lithiums? Maybe 16-18 hours on a lithium?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one's easy. The (one and only) maker rates it at 2900 mAh for the 200 mA load (almost exactly what the Ultra draws), so 14.5 hours seems reasonable. Not all that many more minutes, but the output will be higher and more consistent the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the "real world" advantages of using a Lithium over Alkaline is longer shelf life and higher/more consistent output? And lighter (Edit: as in "weight") too, right?

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Plink said:
[ QUOTE ]
Doug Owen said:
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the "real world" advantages of using a Lithium over Alkaline is longer shelf life and higher/more consistent output? And lighter (Edit: as in "weight") too, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat voltage over discharge, slightly higher terminal voltage and improved cold temperature performance should not be discounted either.

Doug Owen

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug Owen said:
[ QUOTE ]
Plink said:
[ QUOTE ]
Doug Owen said:
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat voltage over discharge, slightly higher terminal voltage and improved cold temperature performance should not be discounted either.

Doug Owen

[/ QUOTE ]

One more advantage: lithium cells tend to drive high-current loads much better than alkalines. As Doug mentioned before, the lithium AA cell is rated at 2900mAh when driving 200mA of current. The Energizer alkaline AA is rated at 2850mAh, but for driving only 25mA of current; the alkaline's rated capacity will suffer greatly when it's asked to drive a large amount of current. This means the more current your device needs, the greater the benefit you'll see in lithium over alkaline.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder why no one (other than Energizer) else makes a lithium AA cell?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess a Infinity Ultra running lithiums is in order, thow it in the car and let it rot for a year or so. As luck would have it, it will probably be way below freezing when I need it.