Just Venting - Are People Stupid?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of my favorites for one of the definitions of insanity is, the person does the same thing over and over again, expecting different results and when you always do what you've always done you always get what you always got.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Marty Weiner said:
You can tell how intelligent someone is merely by looking at them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Surprisingly, sometimes yes. Same with dogs. You (well, *I* at any rate) can tell when a dog is trained, or just... uh, stupid. There is just something about itelligence that shines through - most times.

L

Luminessence

Well today is a new day. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and there is the fresh smell of spring in the air. Who knows, it could be the last day of my life. I'm going to try to use it wisely and savor it.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Most of the time it's the person that's stupid and not the dog... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

was_jlh

Enlightened
After the commute in this morning, I think it's safe to say that many people are stupid when they're behind the wheel.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
No, people really are stupid (and in many cases Maliciously so!).

I went to Wendys to get a baked tater and some chicken stuff. The guy at the speaker asked about sauce for the chicken, dressing for a salad etc.

I got a tater with no butter, chicken with no sauce, two orders of nuggets instead onf one and fries etc.

IDIOCY!

I'm also getting more and more convinced that I'm one of the few people that can drive well. You know, like going a reasonable speed, signalling turns and lane changes, stopping for yellow/red lights etc.

I gotta stop. I'm getting depressed....

was_jlh

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe, move to NC, we need more people that drive like you!

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add to a "stupid" day, I went to KFC last night because I hadn't eaten since my burrito attempt in the morning.

I walked up to the counter and there was a printed sign that listed "wing specials" for $4.49 with 2 sides. I asked the girl at the register for that. She was the Assistant Manager according to her badge. She spent many minutes trying to input the order into the register and couldn't do it. She called over co-workers and finally the Manager - he couldn't do it. The item was not found in the computer's menu. So the Manager told the Assistant Manager to ring up another item that was able to be input for $3.29 and just give me extra wings and an extra side to make it look like the 4 wing special. They couldn't take more cash than the register showed so I wasn't charged the actual price of $4.49.

They had no ability to override the register or input anything other than what was programmed. Meanwhile there were at least 6 people behind me waiting to order. When my food came, I didn't get my drink. They just gave me a cup and told me "no charge".

Marty

BF Hammer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Marty Weiner said:
Hammer

You can tell how intelligent someone is merely by looking at them?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can if you observe them in the process of doing something. Or eavesdrop on conversations. Or read the "I'm with stupid" pointy-finger T-shirts...

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted by Negeltu: "Most of the time it's the person that's stupid and not the dog... "

I like this one! Does that make me stupid???

Wylie

Enlightened
Here's one for you that both made me a little mad and cracked me up at the same time as I am an animal lover.
My buddy is trying to fill me in over the phone about the sensibility of some people he is now working with. He works electrical and good common sense is a must so I do feel for him, as I know where he is coming from.
So anyway one of the guys he works with is out riding dirt bikes and 4X4ing in the mud and has his 2 dogs with him. Everything gets muddy including the dogs. This guy has an idea as to just how to get everything clean without a bunch of work and get it all done at the same time.
He puts the dogs in the back of the truck with his bikes and drives over to the car wash. No this isn't the park in the stall kind of car wash; this is the type you drive through with the high-pressure sprayers and turning wheels and high-pressure air-drying system at the end of the run.
These poor dogs had to be hollowing, as some of these car washes like this will peel the paint from your car if it is bubbled or flaking at all.
Anyway the car wash attendant sees this going on a calls the police, which I do consider to be a good move as this guy just sent his dogs through the full on hot wax spot free, rinse car wash with the high-pressure air dry at the end and considered it a pretty cool idea. My buddy tells me this guy tells him that air dryer at the end of the car wash really dried the dogs off quick and worked great. Poor dogs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
This guy gets home and the police knock at his door and write him up for animal cruelty that I see as completely warranted at this point. It even goes further then this as the guy can't understand why he is being written up and starts using profanity with the police like that's going to make things any better for him.
Crazy to me but this man is pissed about the whole ordeal and just doesn't understand why he was written up for animal cruelty.
Some people, I don't think I will be hunting with this man needless to say but then that would be my kind of common sense too!

ledlurker

Enlightened
I went to Walgreens's Pharmacy last night after 9pm to pick up a prescription for my wife and had to sit next to a "wonderful couple". First, let me tell you there is a thing called TMI (To Much Information!!!). Ok, my first impressions, the woman looked about thirty with tatoos on her legs and arms of which I could see, she is 9 months pregnant wearing a black spandex body suit. When you are this pregnant black is not very sliming. My first impression is she is a stripper. The guy looks like he is not even out of high school. He is reading a wrestling magazine and they are taking a questionaire from it on how good their relationship is. I was so bored with the wait that I could not help but overhear all of the details. She is a stripper that is still currently working. Her husband will turn 18 next month (she is 32) and they met at the local strip club. He is contemplating quitting school to help work and raise the baby. Now here is my thoughts: you have a 17 year old that knocked up a woman in her thirties and is thinking of becoming a dropout when graduation for him is the end of next month or the first week in June.

HOW STUPID IS THAT?????

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something to consider:

By definition, 50% of the population is below average intelligence... (of course it helps to read the other posts first and discover that someone has already pointed this out...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

hideo

Enlightened
Marty--

short answer is yes ... in a democracy, stupid people are permitted to survive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(EDIT, had to add this) yes, alot of the folks you meet behind the counter at fast food franchises (and a few on the customer side) are'nt brain surgeon material ... maybe has something to do with the pay scale and their educational background /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif AND the nature of the work, which is repetitive and mind-numbing--frankly, I'm pretty amazed at how lucid grocery cashiers and these folks can remain because I would be causing bloodshed after about two hours of this type of employment.

the ones' that really PMOff are the ones who have the education and should know better

on the dog horrorstory: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I'm really tired of hearing of people who can't treat their fellow man or other creatures with consideration .... maybe public pressure-washing of offenders ... with hot carnuaba wax ...

YEEEEAAAAHHH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

hideo

PS I'm just venting, too

Topper

Flashaholic*
I guess the jigs up! We are stupid. Allow me to clue you in come closer as I need to whisper...It is not just the ones behind the counter!!!!!!!!!!! Some of thier bosses bossess bossess are stupid too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wonder why it took so long for you to figure that out.........wait come closer.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me begin by saying that I have a lot of respect for people who work "fast-food" with even a moderate level of competence. I could not do it. I daresay I'd go "postal" within about the first 15 minutes.

Had one very similar to Marty's last post. Went to a Taco Bell last year, ordered $4.68 of stuff. Paid with a $10. Counter person discovers that he doesn't have enough change, will have to get the manager to get some out of the safe. After about 5 minutes the manager figures out there ISN'T any change in the safe, only big bills. SO, the manager leaves the store to go to the bank to get change.

I say, "no problem, I can dig out the exact change"; (which I do), "give me back my $10 and I'll give you the exact change". Counter Person says, "Oh, No, I can't do that, I already entered the $10 in the register, and I can't change that without a manager over-ride". And, of course, the manager is on the way to the bank, so he is not there to do an override. "Besides, I wouldn't know how much change to give you without the register telling me". "How would I know that you aren't trying to cheat me? I have to pay for any shortage from my register out of my own pocket."

I say: "Exact change. My order is $4.68, I give you $4.68 for the food, you give me back the $10 bill that you can't change and we are even."

He says: "But how do I know that? I can only do what the register tells me to do, and I am NOT going to pay out of my pocket if I come up short."

I just left before my head exploded with frustration. Taco Bell, you owe me ten bucks.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
was_jlh said:
After the commute in this morning, I think it's safe to say that many people are stupid when they're behind the wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]And just like with the dog, you can pretty much tell from the outside (the type of car) what sort of stupid they are.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
was_jlh said:

[/ QUOTE ]And just like with the dog, you can pretty much tell from the outside (the type of car) what sort of stupid they are.

[/ QUOTE ]lol i just hope i took that the wrong way darrell .im sure i did ya seem to be a nice guy.cause a course some people cant afford nice cars and i am sure ya know that income dont relate to intelligence ...

Latest posts