Las Vegas shooting...

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know how to evaluate deadlines if roughly every tenth hit is fatal without even aiming at anyone particularly.

Not sure I understand your statement.

But at 400 yards a 5.56/.223 has roughly the same ballistics as a point blank .22 WMR. Of course I don't know if a .5.56/.223 was the caliber used by this madman.

Greta

Flashaholic
Gentlemen... please don't make me close this thread. :( Keep the politics out of this thread, watch your language, and enough of the specific gun talk, speculation, specifications, etc.

LGT

Enlightened
So sad. So many people left with such a senseless loss. Knowing you'll never see your brother or sister or mom or dad,aunt or uncle or a friend or anybody else important in your life just because they were at a concert.
Brings me to tears.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Exactly.

On my way to work one of the drama king radio stations was playing audio of the thing.
Man, I had to turn that off. I'm on the crowded interstate hearing this clip being played over and over... I was just stunned that it occured in America. So stunned I became an unsafe driver at that point.
I mean that is the kind of carnage some African warlord has his troops do to refugees at a Red Cross drop or something, but in Las Vegas US freaking A?!?

The the DJ just keeps playing it over and over... in my view that was just wrong. Then he's like "yeah the gun control nuts are gonna love this, let's hear it again" and plays it again... sad sad sad.
That's when I turned it off and said a little prayer.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
New info from the 3:00 presser reveals the gunman was a smaller caliber, but combat rifle, enthusiast; there was ammonium nitrate in his car (the explosive used in the Oklahoma City bombing,) so this could have been a lot worse..

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I read that a good rule of thumb when dealing with big media events is, Most everything you read/watch during the first 24 hours is inaccurate. FWIW.

~ Chance

Facts are: crazy person shoots into crowd in Las Vegas. 50+ people reported dead, hundreds wounded.

The rest is open for speculation.

Some dox are possibly going to be opened soon in the Kennedy assisination... we may find out Jackie had him whacked, or Richard Nixon pulled the trigger... so only time will tell what really happened in Vegas yesterday.

We can speculate the guy was mad because Willie Nelson didn't win a grammie, or perhaps isis and the klan have joined forces.... perhaps he was mad at his old boss... we may never know, or we may know what they want you to know (insert who you think they is here). Maybe it was a guy from Woodstock having a flashback or a former Nam vet who snapped...

Regardless of who or why it's a dang shame it happened at all.

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
My prayers.

/feels bad to do this same msg twice today, one at the other thread.

God be with you, Las Vegas.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Turns out my bro-in-law's sister was in attendance and struck in the back, the round squarely hitting her aorta. We used to go to her house for holidays, a real sunshine personality, a physical therapist who helped a lot of people. Now she's on life support, docs are waiting for organ swelling to go down before further surgery. Her boy is in first grade this year..

Everyone send thoughts and prayers for Amanda..

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if this appropriate to discuss here, but I hear irregularity in the gunfire. A wild guess: he might have used a trigger replacement — a two way 'echo' trigger assembly or that one with a rotating handle — 'the gatcrank'.

Same.... sad and unfortunate but I don't think these were true autos either. I m in the U.K. And hear all sorts... of what the media want you to hear

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I meant was that with the types of weapons used the shooter may have hit more people if he was closer...distance affects accuracy especially at night. I didn't mean to cause any issues. This is truly a sad event and I don't wish to dwell on the things that don't matter.

The following was offered at services last Sunday.

We pray for the survivors, victim families, and all of the officials who must deal with the aftermath of the mass shooting in Las Vegas on Sunday evening:

Gracious God and Father, though Your Son, Jesus Christ, came to bring us Your heavenly peace, violence and cruelty still rage among Your children on earth. Heal the wounds that have been inflicted both in body and spirit among the many victims in Las Vegas. Open Your fatherly heart and bountiful hand to help all in need. We pray for all those who serve the cause of peace as they go about their duties working in the aftermath of this crime that they may be protected from all harm and danger. Since You are Judge over all, guide the civil authorities charged with the investigation of this horrific crime so that if there are any other responsible parties in addition to the shooter, they will be brought to justice. Give those who must now heal from their wounds and the families of all the victims patience in their waiting, comfort in their loss and lead all to find hope in Your Word of resurrection and life; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord. Amen.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Amen, ty all.

Turns out one of my nieces was in attendance too, but she was in the bleachers at the rear of the venue. A couple of guys came up to her and her friend and offered to take them to the stage front standing area, but something told her to just be content with her seats, and they declined. One of the guys is now on the deceased list.

A doctor being interviewed on the news noted in passing that they had pediatric surgeons at the ready the moment victims started rolling in. None were needed.

Count. Your. Blessings.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Amanda was scheduled to have her ventilator removed and sedation reduced today; the update this evening said she got to sit up and they helped her to stand for the first time since the event, she has some limited communication. Doctors predict a good recovery but a roughly half month hospital stay. Getting there..