LF3XT Programming Flowchart - V2.1 !!

Flashlike

Enlightened
Re: LF3XT Programming Flowchart - V1.9 !!

Looking at the flow chart, the FUI seems quite daunting at first glance.
However, I've had my LF3XT for only 4 days and am finding it easier every day to program and operate it!
It's like a lot of things--if you just spend some time figuring it out then it comes together.
Besides--once you set the different modes to your liking, you don't have to change them. If you decide to change them it's actually fairly simple once you learn how to do it.

Kudos to Budman231 and bluecrow76 for their persistent efforts on this! The flow charts are such a great help in learning how to change modes, program it, and change the various settings.

To me the LF3XT is an amazing flashlight. It has such a quiet and smooth switch and its operation can be customized for every individual's preferences. It's sort of like having a flashlight with a brain!!

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LF3XT Programming Flowchart - V1.8 !!

You better get started on that Geoff. Mine will be here tomorrow, and you have already been informed that you will be my personal programing tutor. :laughing: I'm so excited. It's been about a year since I got a new light, and this one has me doing the anticipation dance....
dancinguy.gif

Thanks for taking one for the team, BabyDoc. After getting mine set I've been shy about making changes. Haven't really needed to. I guess that's the beauty of this light. Still, I think I'll do a reset to force me to get more practice.

Geoff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I'll be happy to stumble through the programming with you, but you've got to show me that dance first. :nana:

Geoff

h2oflyer

Enlightened

Fantastic chart -- Great work !

There is one more small change needed. Sorry for not pointing it out earlier.

In the Memory Toggle block you show 1C - On and 1C - Off. To be able to verify if you have changed between Off/On ,could you change it to:

1C ON - 2/sec flash

2C OFF - 1/sec flash

Sorry for bringing this up so late in your efforts , without this change it's kinda hard to tell if you have toggled between memory ON/OFF. Ref. pg 22 of the manual.

Again ; without your flow chart there would be a lot of frustrated LF3XT buyers contemplating returning their lights.

Walter

Budman231

Enlightened

Fantastic chart -- Great work !

There is one more small change needed. Sorry for not pointing it out earlier.

In the Memory Toggle block you show 1C - On and 1C - Off. To be able to verify if you have changed between Off/On ,could you change it to:

1C ON - 2/sec flash

2C OFF - 1/sec flash

Sorry for bringing this up so late in your efforts , without this change it's kinda hard to tell if you have toggled between memory ON/OFF. Ref. pg 22 of the manual.

Again ; without your flow chart there would be a lot of frustrated LF3XT buyers contemplating returning their lights.

Walter

Good Catch... What the Heck ! ON TO Version 2.0 !! :rock:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Budman....You Rock!!!:rock::bow: I just got this light today, and with a little help on the phone from my friend Flying Turtle and your really easy to use flow chart, I can proudly say I have this light whooped already. What a great light this is. I used to have a Novatac 120P and have been lamenting letting it go from the time I sold it. NOT ANYMORE!!!! This will be replacing my NDI as my new EDC. Thanks again Bud for all the work.... I didn't even have to glance at the manual once because of you. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Budman231

Enlightened

Budman....You Rock!!!:rock::bow: I just got this light today, and with a little help on the phone from my friend Flying Turtle and your really easy to use flow chart, I can proudly say I have this light whooped already. What a great light this is. I used to have a Novatac 120P and have been lamenting letting it go from the time I sold it. NOT ANYMORE!!!! This will be replacing my NDI as my new EDC. Thanks again Bud for all the work.... I didn't even have to glance at the manual once because of you. :thumbsup:

Glad the chart helped you. It is a cool light !

Bud

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good Catch... What the Heck ! ON TO Version 2.0 !! :rock:

The chart is great and really doesn't have to be changed. However,
I think if you are going to do this anyway, just a couple of other small changes may make things a bit clearer.

1. The Yellow oval for reset. Instead of the words "factory reset", which are already words used in the blue box, perhaps "Reset all defaults" might be a bit better.

2. This is in contrast to where you show the toggle of 5C+PH to switch interfaces. You might show a separate backward arrow going from the FUI to the CUI, which has beneath the command 5C+PH the words "and reset CUI user mode to 50 % brightness." BTW, this isn't stated in the manual and is a quick way of resetting your using mode to exactly 50 percent, without changing any other defaults. It also reminds people that when they switch interfaces they do lose their CUI user defined setting.

h2oflyer

Enlightened

Baby Doc :

The chart is great and should be changed!

Let's make sure we include the important changes. You need to confirm by flash codes that you have actually turned memory ON or OFF.

Why would anyone want to confuse new LF3XT users by leaving out important information that is shown correctly in the included Operation Manual.

I'm curious why you think the chart doesn't have to be changed after I post obvious changes. Budman has done a fantastic job incorporating all the recommended changes to date.

I thought this thread was for bringing forth usefull inrormation.

Walter

Budman231

Enlightened

Baby Doc :

The chart is great and should be changed!

Let's make sure we include the important changes. You need to confirm by flash codes that you have actually turned memory ON or OFF.

Why would anyone want to confuse new LF3XT users by leaving out important information that is shown correctly in the included Operation Manual.

I'm curious why you think the chart doesn't have to be changed after I post obvious changes. Budman has done a fantastic job incorporating all the recommended changes to date.

I thought this thread was for bringing forth usefull inrormation.

Walter

Guys I'm cool with continuing to make refinments as needed. These are really small changes and are quick to do. Don't feel bad sending me changes please. Eventually we will have a complete work of art...!

Version 2.0 on the way...

Bud

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. The Yellow oval for reset. Instead of the words "factory reset", which are already words used in the blue box, perhaps "Reset all defaults" might be a bit better.
I don't understand what was wrong with 'Factory Reset', this is an understood and often used term. The phrase 'Reset All Defaults' seems to be more confusing, as one is not resetting defaults, but resetting all settings to factory defaults. Perhaps 'Restore Factory Defaults' might be a little clearer to those less familiar with tech terms.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Re: LF3XT Programming Flowchart - V2.0 !!

StandardBattery - you are absolutely correct. Let's not have verbology upstage missing critical information.

Budman231 and bluecrow76 are putting in a lot of effort on this flow chart. I believe it's purpose was to simplify the use and programming of the LF3XT.

Again , great job guys

Walter

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't understand what was wrong with 'Factory Reset', this is an understood and often used term. The phrase 'Reset All Defaults' seems to be more confusing, as one is not resetting defaults, but resetting all settings to factory defaults. Perhaps 'Restore Factory Defaults' might be a little clearer to those less familiar with tech terms.

StandardBattery, I agree with your suggestion. I like you change better than mine. "Restore Factory Defaults" IS clearer.. Factory Reset, alone may not be understood by people new to programmable lights. One problem with the word "Reset" is it is a singular term, which may imply a reset of a single function. You could argue, as h20flyer does, that precise terminology isn't necessay. This may be particularly true if you are using the flow chart along with the manual. As I said before, I don't think the flow chart needs any changes. I just thought if a revision was being done, the wording could be made a bit clearer here, along with the helpful changes h2oflyer suggested.

Last edited:

h2oflyer

Enlightened

Bud -- Thanks for taking the time to incorporate the memory ON/OFF flash codes in v2.0.

Walter

bluecrow76

Enlightened

Hey Budman,

You might want to either add the links to the PDFs in your initial post, or at least put a note that they are available in post 112.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bud, forgive me for focusing all my attention on the FUI and not on the CUI. You have the FUI down great, but there are some problems with the CUI flow chart.

I just noticed that in the CUI flow chart, the box that says start here that contains the words ON, Last Ramp setting, does not contain the words "User Mode" or "User Defined Mode". It probably should, because in the FUI flow chart there is an arrow pointing back to the CUI stating "Back to CUI User Mode 50% brightness" but the CUI Flow chart doesn't have a box labeled with the words "User Mode."

Also, a couple of other changes could be made with the CUI to make it more complete. In the User Mode, you might add that ramped setting is retained in memory on power off. In the boxes for 2 % brightness, there is a problem, I think.
You have a box "Last upper Ramp setting" that probably doesn't belong, since the ramping changes in that mode are not retained in memory, even briefly, as. for example, when you toggle between user mode or 100 percent brightness mode..
Also when switching to 100 percent brightness, you don't show that you can ramp up/down in that mode, where the setting is not retained in memory.

Last edited:

h2oflyer

Enlightened

In the interest of avoiding clutter in PROGRAMMING flow chart, would it not be better to post the CUI feature explanations in the LF3Xt information thread ?

The PROGRAMMING flow chart is really about programming the FUI. What I'm saying is that the CUI feature explanations might be noticed better in the LF3XT information thread .

Walter

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the interest of avoiding clutter in PROGRAMMING flow chart, would it not be better to post the CUI feature explanations in the LF3Xt information thread ?

The PROGRAMMING flow chart is really about programming the FUI. What I'm saying is that the CUI feature explanations might be noticed better in the LF3XT information thread .

Walter

While I agree that the FUI programming is more complicated, if the Programming flow charts were just about the FUI programming, why did Budman need to create the separate yet connected CUI flow chart?

Furthermore, there are 2 pages to the flow chart. The CUI flow chart page has plenty of room for just a few additions that might make not only that portion clearer, but also make its connection to the FUI interface flow chart wording more consistent. I don't think these changes will clutter the CUI flow chart in any way. To the contrary, one of the boxes, the Last UPPER Ramp setting under the 2% brightness box, could be eliminated.

Besides, Budman seems to be a master at layout. Unlike what I have written in my perhaps too wordy suggestions, I trust that any additions or changes Budman decides to make in the flowchart will be made in a simpler, more coherent way. I am sure if he does change the CUI flowchart, it won't look cluttered in any way. :D