LIGHTS OUT! The worst time for your light to go out?

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
I always carry my LD20, TK11 R2, and a E01 on my keychain.

F*ck any light going out on me.

LOL

Illum

Flashaholic
Even worse than being on the toilet in a public restroom,
when some JackA$$ shuts the Lights Off !

:lolsign: that used to be high school pranks...then some silly dual enrolled high school freshman started to do it on college campus.:shakehead

Whenever I was the victim though, the restroom would become brighter than the time when lights were on :twothumbs:

heckboy

Enlightened
I was bombing down a big downhill (by "bombing" I mean going 45MPH) on my commuter bicycle on the way home from work and much to my surprise my lights went out. I run dynamo lights on my commuter bike. I pulled everything down nice and easy. I couldn't see any features on the road and knew that there were some wet patches coming where sprinklers hit manhole covers and paint stripes but I didn't know the road well enough to know I'd miss them.

To get the rest of the way home, I rigged up a "glove light" using an old P1 that lives in my jersey pocket when I'm commuting. It worked really well.

Since then I've added an E20 with a mount that lives inside my pannier as a backup. I still keep the P1 in my jersey anytime night riding might be needed.

Later,
HB

DSC07552.JPG

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea... that happens... you're sitting directly on the floor because you've been bent over in two fixing the same machine for over 5 hours and it still doesn't work. You look at the time and understand why your stomach is louder than the grinder 20 feet away: not only did you miss lunch, but you're missing dinner also. You know it's only a matter of finding the stupidest little thing and you're about to get it and then you can go home, knowing you made another customer happy.

Hurry up, get those two connections together, holding one in between two straight fingers (not enough room for your thumb to come in an lend a hand) and the other one with the tip of your finger, lighting the way with the now literally hot EDC sidekick of yours, when the batteries finally give their last breath. The one good thing about shops where you have to wear ear plugs is that other people around can't hear you curse.

ypsifly

Enlightened
Went fishing last night and while retying a lure my ROV 1xAA headlamp faded out over the course of three seconds.:ohgeez:

Used the Microstream that was clipped to my shirt pocket to find and change the battery and everything was fine. This incident makes me want a Zebralight even more as I understand they don't drop out like that.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Glock27, that's a pretty hairy situation and takes the trophy imo.

throphy.jpg

There's no in between in that scenario....only dead or alive. I'm glad you and your buddy were ok. Just think how differently you'll handle that next time and all the dive friends that you'll share your story with.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was bombing down a big downhill (by "bombing" I mean going 45MPH) on my commuter bicycle on the way home from work and much to my surprise my lights went out.

Your situation almost sounds like that VW commercial where the guys light goes out, and the VW Passat with the steerable headlights follows behind lighting up the rider's way.

dcycleman

Enlightened
I went on a night dive last night in new england = cold and dark. I was thinking that that would probably be one of the worst situations to have a light malfunction, then I was like caving would be pretty bad too, then I read glock 27s post and cave diving definitly takes the cake.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
If it's for situations I can think of (probably unlikely), it'll be:

- When you proudly give a light to someone and boast about its capability, when he/she switches it on, it just goes :poof:

- When SWAT or SRT is about to charge into a dark room, rifle mount goes :poof: upon entry.

- An alien stalking you in a dark maze, you know it's lurking somewhere, you hear a scrapping sound behind you, you turn around! And your light goes :poof:

- You're stranded on an island for 2 years, a ship passes by and you signaled a morse code of S...O....:poof:. Ship rolls off in anger thinking you've just called them an a**h****.

- You thought lights can be used as a blinding tool against perpetrators and switches it on to have it :poof: There goes the real lesson learnt lights cannot be used as a self defense tool.

- A bombing run like used in Dambuster... "hold it steady...steady... beamshots are merging......steady" :poof:

- You found the bomb, holding the light in your mouth, you're wondering which wire to cut, red, blue, green, white, yellow, pink.....:poof:

Zeruel, you're the funniest guy on CPF. I crack up every time! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

midnite

Newly Enlightened
every so often my fenix lod will twist on in my pants pocket unaware of what's going on. It uses up all my battery, then when I pull it out ready to use it then it's dead. What can i say

Boy SureFire

Enlightened
I always keep a SF E1e/E1l on my belt W/my Benchmade Vex/Leatherman tool at all times :whistle: my BM tac pen also keeps me feeling warm:devil:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
It actually happened to me while I was having a shower in a youth hostel.:candle:

This dredged up a memory. It's a time that my brother really could have used a flashlight when the lights went out...

We were 12 & 14 years old. He was taking a shower at night. Being the mischievous youngster in the pair, I turned out the lights in the bathroom, then left and closed the door. A few moments later, I heard the loud crash of shattering glass. I and my parents rush in to a dark bathroom, they turn the light on, and see the shower door shattered to pieces on the floor, and my brother standing there with blood everywhere. Dad asks what happened, and he says, "Ron turned the light out, and whenever he does that, (nice touch, bro!... ed.) I sit down on the floor, and as I was was sitting down I slipped and my foot hit the glass." As his story unfolded, a growing sense of impending doom fell upon me... and I was right, by golly. After the beating, I had to clean everything up, and I had to pay for the glass replacement out of my paper route money for, like, the next 17 years. My brother, on the other hand, got the royal, pampered "good son" treatment for, seemingly, half an eternity.

Fast forward maybe twenty years, and the episode came up in casual reminiscence, and my brother tells me, "I didn't slip and fall. I was so pissed you turned the light out, that I kicked the glass door in anger, but there was no chance in hell I was gonna tell mom and dad that!" I should have beat him with a 5 D-cell flashlight right then and there!

Last edited:

Caesis

Newly Enlightened

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many moons ago, I lost my only light when I fell in a sinkhole full of swamp slime doing nighttime land nav. After all the screaming, cursing, hopping, and moss-slinging(I was convinced the moss was water moccasins all over me) subsided, I realized the light was no longer clipped to my LBE, and probably still in the hole. With no way to read my map, I shot an azimuth toward where I knew a road was, and made my way back to our staging area.
Even though we weren't allowed to use a light to navigate by(only with a red filter to look at our map), I didn't realize the sense of comfort derived from just having it...until it was gone.
There's more to that story, and it's probably one of the reasons I'm such a flashlight nut. We didn't have cool lights 18 years ago like we have now. A flashlight was an afterthought, not an important piece of gear. We did all our jumping at night, and I don't recall ever using my flashlight, or even if I carried it.
While I don't applaud the gear vs. competency ratio I see today, a simple Photon II back then would have salvaged that land nav exercise for me.
I'm just glad nobody saw me when I came out of that hole:eek:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't happen anymore... some funny guy turned off the light in the bathroom at work while I was on a #2 duty, but I had my maglite solitaire with me... kinda gives a new meaning to the name, doesn't it?

TwitchALot

Enlightened
It hasnt happened yet,

but I do alot of caving,,, and you do NOT want a light going out on you there.
Thats why you always bring at least THREE lights with you.

I love this pic on surefires site....
http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/banner_cave.jpg

~John

That's amazing. I definitely agree with the philosophy, "two is one, one is none." When it comes to critical gear, you'd better have a backup plan. ;)