LIGHTS OUT! The worst time for your light to go out?

jgraham15

Enlightened
The caption for that picture is kinda creepy. "Because this far underground, you can't move safely, you can't find your way out, and nobody will hear your screams." :aaa:

+1

That caption really makes you think!!! :candle:

I guess that's the point of the ad though.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Long before I discovered CPF.........
I was out wandering in the woods and my only light went out. I just sat down and waited for morning. It sucked but nothing bad happened. No moon and too many leaves to go by the stars. It was a long boring night.

I also was at a campsite once and my light died. I was in an outhouse at the time. That wasn't much fun either.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy Thread revival

It's a good example for why you should always have 2 or more of something when you know you're going to be counting on it. Could be a knife, light or rope you'll kick yourself when you didn't bring enough.

piojo

Newly Enlightened
The caption for that picture is kinda creepy. "Because this far underground, you can't move safely, you can't find your way out, and nobody will hear your screams." :aaa:
I think since it was an ad in Popular Science, it was probably intended to be homage to "In space, no one can hear you scream," from Alien.

callmaster

Enlightened
I always have 3 lights on me that I have holstered to my belt and almost always something more powerful in my hands.

If I'm in the forest/jungles,etc I'll probably have 2-3 (battery) back ups for each light so I'm never really in trouble.

If I'm carrying a back pack, I'll probably have another light in there just in case.

I've never let myself get stuck in a situation where I'm totally without a working light. We've been stuck in the jungle for days at a time waiting for transport out and we're always ready for it.

I'm a little afraid of what might go bump in the night. Hence all those lights and batteries. In addition to that, I always have a few firesteel as backup just in case we lose our lighters, other assorted fire making items.

I'm interested in caving now. Another dangerous hobby!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's for situations I can think of (probably unlikely), it'll be:

- When you proudly give a light to someone and boast about its capability, when he/she switches it on, it just goes :poof:

- When SWAT or SRT is about to charge into a dark room, rifle mount goes :poof: upon entry.

- An alien stalking you in a dark maze, you know it's lurking somewhere, you hear a scrapping sound behind you, you turn around! And your light goes :poof:

- You're stranded on an island for 2 years, a ship passes by and you signaled a morse code of S...O....:poof:. Ship rolls off in anger thinking you've just called them an a**h****.

- You thought lights can be used as a blinding tool against perpetrators and switches it on to have it :poof: There goes the real lesson learnt lights cannot be used as a self defense tool.

- A bombing run like used in Dambuster... "hold it steady...steady... beamshots are merging......steady" :poof:

- You found the bomb, holding the light in your mouth, you're wondering which wire to cut, red, blue, green, white, yellow, pink.....:poof:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
hid bike lights are damn good but i would consider a decent led backup bike light, lots of companys make them now, and they easily fit in your camelback - which you should have full of tube, basic tools etc.
Respect Klein. R.I.P.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
A dark night in the land of the Midnight Sun...

This is from one of my old posts:

...In the early 70s I was on a small tug with a tow crossing the Gulf of Alaska when we lost our generator (lights, radio) and our main engines just as the barge we were towing began to sink into the 35F water. Amazingly, the only light that could be made to work that night was a dopey disposable incan, wrapped up in a baggie in my kit, that I had carried around for years. I gave it to the engineer and he used it to finally get a gas powered pump running and it saved the day....

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can imagine when caving, and whoever you're with has turned their light off to change batteries.

Or when you're trying to impress your friends (who think you're a weirdo) with this new, ultrabright $100 + flashlight, and it goes poof!

ruriimasu

Enlightened
I can imagine when caving, and whoever you're with has turned their light off to change batteries.

Or when you're trying to impress your friends (who think you're a weirdo) with this new, ultrabright $100 + flashlight, and it goes poof!

when i go caving, i bring along those dynamo squeeze/shake lights as the "last resort" lights. they may sound and seem silly. but if all batteries are used up, these lights really prove their $3 worths! :p

Patriot

Flashaholic
About 12-13 years ago while archery hunting elk. I was "still" hunting on the ground until dark but had a 2C mag, Tekna 4xAA and an Energizer headlamp for when it came time to head back to the truck.

A good sized black bear about 300 lbs came into the area so I stood up and waved my bow in the air. It looked at me but didn't seem to concerned. I yelled at it and it stopped and stood on two legs at 40 yards looking at me. Now the adrenalin was flowing pretty freely since it still didn't leave. I knocked an arrow as the bear went back on all fours again and meandered at around 40 yards until it came further toward me. I drew the bow and placed the 30 yard pin on the center of its chest while continuing to say "Get OUTTA HERE! Finally it started to move off to the left so I let down my draw and banged an arrow against the riser of the bow while stomping my foot. By that time it was so dark that I couldn't see the red fiber optic pins on my bow sight but only my green ones faintly glowing. I reached into my pack and started digging around for my lights......no lights! My friend and I had identical Eureka back packs at the time and in our hurry to get into the field that afternoon we ended up with each others packs somehow. I realized this the moment I opened up his backpack and started feeling around.

The truck was about 1 mile away which seemed like the next county at that point. Worse yet, the bear had wandered in the general direction that I had to walk. I yelled and shouted all the way out while looking into the illuminated LCD of my first Garmin GPS 38. The unit was slow and had trouble receiving under certain parts of the forest where the pines obscured the sky but after doing some zig-zags I made it to the truck after about 30 minutes.

I had my GPS in my BDU pocket along with a large folding knife and some snacks. I also had a lighter and matches but I wasn't going to fiddle around out there after the close encounter. I've been stupid and have forgotten lights at other times but that one bugged me the most due a bear which apparently didn't have much fear of me. I had that 5" folder in my right hand during the entire walk out. I hung the bow on my pack and had two broadhead tipped arrows in my left hand with the GPS. I knew they'd penetrate easily with a quick thrust if it actually came down to that.

It was a stupid mistake to rush out of camp like that but we had taken a nap that afternoon and slept in longer than we wanted. I cursed my buddy out for not having a light in his pack but he pointed out that was because he was carrying it on his belt. Lesson learned...:ohgeez:After that I started carrying a Glock with night sights while in the field. Now I carry a 10mm with M6X. Archers aren't technically allowed by law to carry a firearm while hunting but hey, I have a feeling that many do.

Last edited:

Glock27

Enlightened
Worst light failure happened to my dive buddy, but it effected me too. We were diving in a cave.
We had made it back into the "Big Room". A ~12 foot diameter conduit or tunnel starts at the entrance room and goes ~100 yards back. Floor of this conduit starts at about 30' below the surface and is ~50' when it dumps into the Big Room. We should have clipped onto the fixed line but didn't.
We were dropping through 100' when my buddy's primary light blinked off. He quickly turned on a spare light. I immediately noticed his eyes filled his mask! I thought, "If this cave diver is scared, perhaps I should be concerned too!" He flashed me the crossed finger sign. Where's the line? The few seconds it took for me to swim to where I "thought" the line laid was the longest seconds of my life. The line was there...but the terrain sure looked different going out than it did going in.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yikes !

These last 2 stories really drive the point home.

:eek:

Even worse than being on the toilet in a public restroom,

when some JackA$$ shuts the Lights Off !

:mad::hairpull::rant::tsk:

_

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
Even worse than being on the toilet in a public restroom,

when some JackA$$ shuts the Lights Off ! _

It actually happened to me while I was having a shower in a youth hostel.:candle: Hopefully I had my Fenix L1D with me so I ended up doing a ceiling bounce with it.
:nana:

Yes, I was allready a flashaholic at that time... :whistle: