Liteflux LF3 XT (Part II)

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
Sorry you've got a glitch. I wish I had some good ideas. I've only used primaries, but maybe it could be related to the battery length question that's been raised. Try a primary for a few days and see if it happens again? Has it been carried a lot? Conductive pocket lint? Obviously I really don't have a clue, but I hope it stops or someone else can help. I suppose a good cleaning couldn't hurt. Good luck.

Geoff
Length is not an issue with AWs batteries AFAIK and the light is clean,clean,clean, but thanks for your kind words.:)

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`ve encountered an interesting problem with my LF3XT: every now and then it will turn itself on without any contact of the switch and the only way to turn it off is to unscrew the two halves as pushing the switch has no effect. This started today for the first time while I was playing with it and has happened five times so far. I`m using AW RCR123A protected batteries and the voltage readout according to the light is 3.8v.. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem could be (and, of course, how to solve said problem)?

I would try cleaning all the contacts and if that doesn't work, try cleaning the switch itself. I noticed that junk from your fingers can accumulate between the switch and the surrounding cross ring. You can't see this stuff but you know it's there when your switch feels a bit more spongy than usual. Possible the switch is sticking just slightly and not coming back all the way. I take a little bit of dishwashing liquid and wash the switch end under warm water. The switch then feels and operates like new again.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
. By this point I had my LF3XT in my mouth to light up what I was doing as there was no light under the hood. I thought, maybe those awful sharp edges on the tail of the LF3XT could be useful for once! Sure enough, the tail of the LF3XT sliced through that foil with ease and I was filling away. ;)

Hey Wade, as I was reading your story, I was beginning to worry where it was going. Reading that you were putting your LF3XT into your mouth with its sharp tailpiece might be taking your life into your own hands. :candle: I thought you were going to relate how you tore your mouth apart. I am so glad you didn't.:)

I was just thinking that LiteFlux tamed down the crenalation on the head of the light to such an extent that they are worthless as a weapon. Perhaps, you can use the sharp tail-end in an emergency to defend yourself. ;)

madi05

Enlightened
LOL as a weapon all u have to do is hold it in your fist like a roll of quarters and start swinging , if u connect your assailant will not be happy, lol:thumbsup:

madi05

hogger1

Newly Enlightened
Wade
dont you use the zebra light clip on your LF3XT? If so how secure is it? I need to know because I like to carry with the light through the lanyard looped around my belt then clipped on a belt loop. If the fit is tight enough to hold without falling out I plan to buy a clip from zebra.

madi05

Enlightened
i use the gerber clip and i tell u it will not fall off or move what so ever, it is very tight ,, the only way u can remove it is with pliers, some said they had to use snap pliers but for me i used some watchmith flat nose needlenose and put my light in a vice and stretched it ope and slipped it half way on and then i use a wood hammer and tapped it down flush with the light and she does not move ,, and it looks aesthically correct imo

hope this helps
madi05

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Thanks BabyDoc
I tried with two batteries (UltraFire) and I have the same problem. I can't check the voltage (5C) with the flashlight since it is in tactical mode (when I push the button the light goes on at very low level and when I release the button the light goes off). I tried to push and hold not C-push etc... Don't forget that these batteries are use in the LF3 with no problem.

I have the same problem with a couple of Ultrafires that I have. The AW cells work fine. I believe it is the length, but I can't picture why.
I took a small circular magnet, about 1mm thick and applied to the button of an AW cell and it caused the light to behave the same way as with the ultrafires, it only comes on low and only momentarily.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wade
dont you use the zebra light clip on your LF3XT? If so how secure is it? I need to know because I like to carry with the light through the lanyard looped around my belt then clipped on a belt loop. If the fit is tight enough to hold without falling out I plan to buy a clip from zebra.

I tried the Zebralight clip on it, but I don't normally use it that way. However, it was very secure.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
I would try cleaning all the contacts and if that doesn't work, try cleaning the switch itself. I noticed that junk from your fingers can accumulate between the switch and the surrounding cross ring. You can't see this stuff but you know it's there when your switch feels a bit more spongy than usual. Possible the switch is sticking just slightly and not coming back all the way. I take a little bit of dishwashing liquid and wash the switch end under warm water. The switch then feels and operates like new again.
Do you do this without demontering the switch, or is there a special trick that allows one to open up said switch for cleaning? I`ve been playing a lot with mine trying to come to grips with the FUI so maybe some crud unseen has managed to work its way into the switch.:whistle:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you do this without demontering the switch, or is there a special trick that allows one to open up said switch for cleaning? I`ve been playing a lot with mine trying to come to grips with the FUI so maybe some crud unseen has managed to work its way into the switch.:whistle:

You don't need to take the switch apart. I believe the O-ring that you can't see will keep the crud from getting inside the switch. However, some crud can collect around the button itself and make the switch operate sluggishly; it may not even return all of the way.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
You don't need to take the switch apart. I believe the O-ring that you can't see will keep the crud from getting inside the switch. However, some crud can collect around the button itself and make the switch operate sluggishly; it may not even return all of the way.
O.k., I`ve discovered how to open the tail switch and have cleaned all the parts and lubed the o-ring and the problem seems to be resolved.:D
Thanks for your tips, Baby Doc.:wave:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
O.k., I`ve discovered how to open the tail switch and have cleaned all the parts and lubed the o-ring and the problem seems to be resolved.:D
Thanks for your tips, Baby Doc.:wave:

Thank Madio5 for his help. I never had to take my switch apart. I've been able to wash it well enough from the outside without disassembly. Perhaps, I will do it just to see what's in there. All of you people doing it now are giving me the courage to try.

Mr. Snakeman, I am curious what you saw when you took your switch apart. Was there dirt in there and how far into the switch did it get?
Or was there just too much lube around the button O-ring as others have previously reported?

Latest posts