Lookie what I got!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad 69 Cortina, had a four cylinder that he raced.
I bet you can guess his motor ☺
Miss that high rpm.

Edit typos, on tablet sorry.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Good grief that's huge.
To think my little single is around 2-2.5 hp at the crank, this could be up there a bit. The power to scale is immense.
I can make these bead lock tires in my avy into pizza cutters on one cylinder.
That Wankel must be for a mighty big bird.
Thanks for sharing.
This engine is rated at 1.27hp, but that's 1.27hp at 17,000rpm, whereas nitro piston engines usually run closer to 35,000rpm. So it definitely produces more torque than a nitro piston engine of the same size -- and there's no aluminum piston or chrome-plated brass sleeve to wear out. The rotor, apex seals, and main housing are all made of steel -- only the side panels are made of aluminum.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes indeed, and piston size of my thumb nail compared to a heat sink from a server, reciprocating mass penalties and bonuses.
Nothing to wear out?

ABC is similar to a sleeved V8, big bonus.
Cheap an easy to keep compression and stop cylinder cavitations in a liquid cooked mill.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
For reference, OS Engines' power rating for this engine assumes fuel with 5% nitromethane content. It can be run with up to 20% nitromethane as long as the fuel has 25% oil.

It's the 25% oil that really makes the difference. It doesn't burn, so it takes heat away from the engine, and such a high oil content keeps the inside of the engine much better-lubricated than RC car engines are. My RC car engines run on 30% nitromethane with only 11% oil, because they would choke if the oil were much higher. That's not a problem with airplane engines, because they run at high RPM the entire time -- they only idle before takeoff and after landing.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been getting my fuel made by a buddy locally.
Hobby store pricing on a gallon is a little steep.
Yes, air cooked is sweet.

I used to build air cooked diesel engines, very robust and ready to run.
Nice talking with you bud on the subject.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Very cool. I had a '77 and '81 Mazda with the rotary engine and really liked the performance of those engines.