M91T with high-low is a perfect EDC

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The M91T-MD3 is one of my favorite "full size" combos. Though I don't EDC full size lights any more, this one serves night stand duty quite well;

m91tmd3-1.jpg
  • M91T head with high/low switch, upgraded with a UCL glass lens
  • MD3 body
  • LF SW01 Skinny Momentary Tailcap with green tritium tube
  • LF Z26 lanyard ring
  • LF grip ring
The AOL of this light is just over six inches, 6-1/4" including the boot protrusion making it TSA compliant for carry-on. It fits my hand very nicely and the SW01 tailcap can be turned to constant-on with the thumb and index finger;

m91tmd3-2.jpg

The grip ring provides a solid backstop when holding the light in an ice pick grip, and makes the light usable with a syringe grip as well.

I run mine on a pair of Panasonic NCR18350A cells providing about 90 minutes of full output run time, which is more than "happy" enough for me. Because of the shortened battery compartment using this tailcap, protected 18500 cells will not fit, but three CR123 primaries are fine. Low output is about 20 lumens and the focused beam of the TLR optic produces enough candela to make it quite useful while providing greatly extended run time.

If Gene could come up with a MDx head that has output specs like the Modlite PLHv2 (1,350 lumens | 54,000 candela) this combo would really be cookin'. :)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I quit using M61 variants years ago, when I got my hands on the "T" variant. It makes the light appear brighter than it is. Higher lux.
It's especially useful outdoors, the "T" punches much farther, stronger. But it's not so focused as a Maglite beam that it's not useful indoors, close-up. Perfect beam profile. I found the M61 series lacking outdoors, a bit weak on punch and despite the advertised distance, it was useful only within 20-25 meters, if that. The M91T can punch a lot further, 80-100 meters I would say.

M91T, that runs on 2 full cells for a very flat lumen curve.
I keep M61 as a backup device, it's really almost as good and better than "T" when you have to do close-up work. e.g. illuminate an engine bay. You want flood, not throw.

Does the new M61 SHO use a reflector (Like the M61 tradition) or an optic (Like the M61T variant). I would think it stays with the old reflector.

How does the lux of the new 800+ lumen M61 SHO compare to the lux of the M61T?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
How does the lux of the new 800+ lumen M61 SHO compare to the lux of the M61T?

I plan on finding out tonight, but I think the m61 sho will dominate the m61t.

The m61t is a few notches brighter than an m61n/w at 6v, but they are nearly the same output with 3.7v. The m61t, while a great drop in, is really not a powerhouse.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on finding out tonight, but I think the m61 sho will dominate the m61t.

The m61t is a few notches brighter than an m61n/w at 6v, but they are nearly the same output with 3.7v. The m61t, while a great drop in, is really not a powerhouse.

M61SHO will not dominate M91T, the lux difference is 11,000 vs 19,000.
Re: M61T, it has 12K lux so a bit more but M61SHO has almost twice the lumens. So with M61SHO on the market, there seems to be no reason for M61T anymore.
However the SHO has higher Amp draw. So I don't see how it can have the same runtime as M61T.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder, has someone ran M91T on 1x18650. Because the latest gen lights up on 1 cell versus the older gen which did not. What kind of lumens and what kind of runtime?
I did it try it and seemed a hair brighter than M61T but not substantially so. It's the dual cells which really light it up, not to mention extend runtime.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running it today. A new level of performance above M61 (the 450 lumen one) and the M61T (also the 425 lumen one)

nice. Pure white. The other cool thing about it, low is around estimated 25-30 lumens which I really like. You can run it on low pretty much full time. It's just that the high mode is so addictive.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I installed the M91T head on a MD2 body with a single cell in it.

Ran it versus my usual EDC the M61T.

M91T was brighter. The tint was uglier. Hard to quantify how much brighter - the real answer is not much.

Then I swapped the M61T on a 2-cell MD4 body. Compared it then. My expectation that M61T would be much brighter and beat M91T on one cell. But nope. M91T - not sure how it compared lumens-wise but the higher lux of M91T made it seem brighter. The lumens were probably close.

I have a rule. Any body should have a light that should accommodate all possible battery permutations. That's why I do not run M61T or M61 in MD4. Because MD4 can take 4x123 which would burn up these modules, but not M91T.

So M91T went back to MD4 and M61T back to MD2. What a beautiful tint my old M61T has.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
M91T was brighter. The tint was uglier. Hard to quantify how much brighter - the real answer is not much.

So M91T went back to MD4 and M61T back to MD2. What a beautiful tint my old M61T has.
Please clarify ugly M91T?

Beam shots with comparisons to M61T?

NH Lumens

Enlightened

No beam shots, but the beam patterns of my M91T and M61T are identical, as is the tint.

The M61HOT v.2 is quite different from those two with a cooler tint and a much wider (and a painfully obvious square) corona. Just looking at the optic assembly, it's quite different from the M61T and M91T.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

They don't really display that M91T is twice as bright with a hotter lux. M91T is pure white, M61T is a beautiful creamy tint, M61 looks kind of neutral though I think I got the regular version.

I could also do two Hound Dogs I have. One regular, one neutral. Have a Super and can't remember if it's neutral or regular. Maybe someone will identify based on the tint.

All 3 below have perfect beamshots. No corona, nothing is square, no donut holes. I can't think of how they can be improved any.

M91T (new)

f7jIVPS.jpg

M61T (about 4 years old)

kE6ucc8.jpg

M61 (less than 1 year old so think latest gen)

OZTwqkE.jpg