Maglite....why?

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm not sure if you're trolling or serious. I'm by no means a Mag fanboy, but even I got a chuckle out of your comparing a Harbor Freight light to one that's got 40+ years behind it. All your other points could have been lifted out of threads about every major manufacturer around. Just sayin'... šŸ˜

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a few flashlights that were cheaper that in a way did better than mags, but you're either down with them or you're not. As far as the price goes--that depends on where you buy them. I myself don't like supporting the cali economy, but you support it when you buy a surefire or any other flashlight made out there. I'd rather support them than china.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maglite fanboy here, and dam proud of it!

FF4-CAD2-E-E3-FD-4-C01-BE26-638-A8-A7-A24-AE.jpg

Still king? Nah, Dr. John Matthews took over the throne in the late 90's.

Here in 2019 Gene Malkoff could be king but he don't want the hassle.

mmalive12

Newly Enlightened
Did you read FINE PRINT from Maglite? Some of parts are OUT SOURCED meaning China? So NOT 100% built. We had same discussion on BLF forums.

mmalive12

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if you're trolling or serious. I'm by no means a Mag fanboy, but even I got a chuckle out of your comparing a Harbor Freight light to one that's got 40+ years behind it. All your other points could have been lifted out of threads about every major manufacturer around. Just sayin'... ļ˜

Take a look at performance BEFORE replying guy. 40 years does not mean squat. Go to Harbor Freights website to see reviews of the Harbor Freight 3 D flashlight then come back to make intelligent posts.

BTW, All me points are correct. Go to BLF and you will see discussion similar to this.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, most of it is made in America and some cree leds are made in Germany and some in china. I can live with that as long as most of the maglite is made here. Cali regs might restrict mag from making leds themselves. I think it is against the rules to mention that other forum--you might want to edit that out--plus tone it down. Dude, you need to be respectful of everyone, but especially the moderators. I'm quite sure most on here respect your opinions, but you need to respect theirs also. You'll get more respect here if you chill on the hostility. To be honest I would be angry if mag chose to get all their parts from china and especially if they did that and THEN had their flashlights assembled there.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at performance BEFORE replying guy. 40 years does not mean squat. Go to Harbor Freights website to see reviews of the Harbor Freight 3 D flashlight then come back to make intelligent posts.

BTW, All me points are correct. Go to BLF and you will see discussion similar to this.
That sound you hear, is the sound of the Ignore button being clicked.
You really are a rude man.
"Click"
P

scout24

Flashaholic

1. The photo bykfixer posted says "American Manufacturer", implying the jobs are here, and the products are built with predominanently American parts and materials, not all. Read the language of that statute, please. And, yes, that had nothing to do with my comment to you, nor your original post. It needed said though.

2. Performance has nothing to do with a 40 year track record of putting out a quality product. Maybe not cutting edge, but quality. If I wanted to read a pile of bot generated reviews designed to get me to buy a product, I'd go to Amazon, not the Harbor Freight website.

3. If your "discussion" is similar to the ambiance on the other forum, I'm afraid I'll pass. I may make an exception hoping your attitude is an outlier, though.

4. Please familiarize yourself with Rule 4, above, regarding flaming/baiting/trolling. I'll leave your posts above visible for now, but a continuation in this vein will see your posts deleted and your posting priviliges curtailed until you have read and understood the rules here. Thanks for your understanding. :)

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back on topic: Maglite...why?
Personally: (hopefully I don't get flamed) ;) They bring back child hood memories & can be sentimental . I have one my late Grand Father gave me, I have one my late uncle gave me, I have one I used to play with my brothers with when we were kids, well yall get the point. I can remember as a young teen going to K-Mart and begging me dad for a Maglite. I was always addicted to photons emitted from aluminum devices. As a kid/teen/young adult, I did't know or care about all that other stuff. I had figured out that I needed to remove the alks. I was amazed by the spare bulb in the tail cap, I put vaseline on the threads to make them smooth. I currently don't care who owns them, where they are build, what political candidate they do or don't support, what tint bin the LEDs are sourced from, what kinda batteries are best, what the beams look like when wall hunting, who makes better lights for the dollar....I could go on.

Do I wish they had improved "more" with the times, well sure, do I wish they would cater to Us flashaholics, well sure.......but.....we are in a huge minority! To this day, I gift Maglites AAA's and do so with pride and confidence. I gave away 10 last Christmas to the ladies at work. Strangely, none came back and asked what Tint the Led is, and why they don't use ACME threads! lol

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why? Because....

Maglite incan....good while it lasted.

Maglite LED....a good alternative to the other choices out there with solid reliability.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Maglite sure does sound a lot like Harley Davidson when you put it that way! :grin2:

I think the general trend is going towards smaller lights since LEDs have increased run time and brightness. I'm a die hard Maglite fanatic but my light that gets the most use? Lumintop AAA Tool. Small package, 3 levels of brightness, good run time. The Solitaire should have been updated years ago to this same package. I hope that Maglite continues to expand their small LED lights. The Mag Tacs and XLs were definitely a step in the right direction.

I think there's also a market to be captured with millenials based on nostalgia. When was Maglite's heyday? Late 80s & all of the 90s. They need to step up their product placement. The 80s and 90s nostalgia is running high right now. Just look at Stranger Things on Netflix. Mag could have and should have begged and pleaded for them to include Maglites in that show and all these others that are taking place in the 80s and 90s. Heck, they could even pull out the old heritage card and make some retro models. Re-introduce the Vari-Beam, 7 Cells, warm LEDs. Do a retro type marketing and bring current lights to market as well.

I think the Harley Davidson isnt yet a fair comparison but should serve as a warning. You cant rest on your laurels. Sure HD has come out with new bikes now but it's generally regarded as too little too late. Harley forgot what made them popular in the first place. Cool, small, simple, and inexpensive bikes. Mag needs to do the same: Keep the DNA alive but push towards a premium, durable light that consumers want.

I'm watching 'Stranger Things' and I've taken some screenshots of numerous flashlights in use to post in another thread.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Back on topic: Maglite...why?
Personally: (hopefully I don't get flamed) ;) They bring back child hood memories & can be sentimental . I have one my late Grand Father gave me, I have one my late uncle gave me, I have one I used to play with my brothers with when we were kids, well yall get the point. I can remember as a young teen going to K-Mart and begging me dad for a Maglite. I was always addicted to photons emitted from aluminum devices. As a kid/teen/young adult, I did't know or care about all that other stuff. I had figured out that I needed to remove the alks. I was amazed by the spare bulb in the tail cap, I put vaseline on the threads to make them smooth. I currently don't care who owns them, where they are build, what political candidate they do or don't support, what tint bin the LEDs are sourced from, what kinda batteries are best, what the beams look like when wall hunting, who makes better lights for the dollar....I could go on.

Do I wish they had improved "more" with the times, well sure, do I wish they would cater to Us flashaholics, well sure.......but.....we are in a huge minority! To this day, I gift Maglites AAA's and do so with pride and confidence. I gave away 10 last Christmas to the ladies at work. Strangely, none came back and asked what Tint the Led is, and why they don't use ACME threads! lol

Bravo.

I quoted the entire post simply because every word was worth repeating in my view but I try not to plagerize.

And thanks to greenpond for staying old school.

Last edited:

Signalcorpsoperator

Newly Enlightened
Just my $.02 worth, they were, and still are, a solid product, as many of the gents have already posted before said.

Are there better lights out there? Without a doubt, but there's still "something" about buying a classic product, that's still made in the US, that simply can't be beat. Might not be the most efficient, might not be the brightest, but they are a solid light, haven't had one fail, ever. Light bulbs burned out, absolutely, but other than that and depleting the batteries, nothing at all wrong with them.

Tom