Maglite's output numbers magically double or almost triple overnight???

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the only bulb made by WA appears to be the MagCharger lamp.

The remainder are constructed differently, even the new Xenon bulbs, which have very interesting looking filament holders! They actually appear to be over built for the job.

Bill

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaah, I think you're right, Bill. But for what they are and the specs they handle, I think the standard Mag bulbs are actually pretty decent.

bwaites said:
Actually, the only bulb made by WA appears to be the MagCharger lamp.

The remainder are constructed differently, even the new Xenon bulbs, which have very interesting looking filament holders! They actually appear to be over built for the job.

Bill

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
lightplay22 said:
I've witnessed some folks shopping for flashlights who were strictly going by the (usually bogus) output numbers on the packages. Proof that marketing propaganda can increase sales. "Look man, this one is 100,000 candlepower! Its the one we need"

Before CPF, thats what I was like. :ohgeez: :thumbsdowOh, lets get this headlamp, it lasts 50 hours on a set of batteries, or this one is better since it lasts 70 hours.

Needless to say, I've learned a few things since then.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marketing - I suggest that everybody else should simply just double their numbers too...
Oh and some I noticed (especially car acessories) calculate PERCEIVED brightness (xenon) - and double the number. They explain it with the white color of the beam...

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
mobile1 said:
Oh and some I noticed (especially car acessories) calculate PERCEIVED brightness (xenon) - and double the number. They explain it with the white color of the beam...

We already have a unit for measuring "perceived brightness"--it's called lumens. Maybe they mean perceived perceived brightness, which must really be something special. :laughing:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
maglite is like GM by trying cheap tricks to lure in customer.:xyxgun:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I think the stock bulbs suck. I mod all my Maglites and other 2C or 2D lights with Dorcy Xenon bulbs. They are the best el-cheapo bulb I know of. They light up addresses from the street extremely well for the price you pay. The brightness from the street with fresh batteries is comparable to a low end Surefire. In fact it's better in some respects, because it's not so spread out so the hotspot is actually brighter. And I don't have to feed it CR123A's. Low end Mag mods are underrated and low end Surefires are overrated in my opinion.

bulbs.jpg

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
Noticed something interesting this evening while comparing my Surefire A2 and my Mag 4D with its five C cells and standard bulb. Same old mag beam except much whiter and quite a bit brighter and a little more white than the A2. The beam is fairly useful at long range, though I don't use it as often as my TL-3. I have a 6D riding around in my truck that I think I'm gonna try the 5D xenon bulb in to see how it compares to my 4D. Those lumens numbers on their site still make me laugh though.

InfidelCastro

Banned
WDR65 said:
Noticed something interesting this evening while comparing my Surefire A2 and my Mag 4D with its five C cells and standard bulb. Same old mag beam except much whiter and quite a bit brighter and a little more white than the A2. The beam is fairly useful at long range, though I don't use it as often as my TL-3. I have a 6D riding around in my truck that I think I'm gonna try the 5D xenon bulb in to see how it compares to my 4D. Those lumens numbers on their site still make me laugh though.

I'd be very interested to hear how the 5D Mag Xenon bulb does in your 6D Mag compared to the standard 4D Mag Krypton bulb in your 4D Mag with the 5C cells.. I didn't even know there was a 5D Mag Xenon bulb. I assume that's what you're talking about, right?

The 2D Dorcy Xenon bulb is definately brighter than the 2D Mag Xenon bulb in 2D configuration and much brighter than the 2D Krypton bulb. Why do they even make those things anymore??? I haven't tried overdriving either the 2D Krypton or Xenon though.

Last edited:

Kershaw

Enlightened
Here is visual proof that mag is lying, Mag claims their mini-mags puts out 15 lumens and surefire claims their E1E puts out 15 lumens. You be the judge. Link to pics.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
fire-stick said:
A few days ago I looked at maglite dot com to check the output ratings of my 2D maglite. I looked all over the entire sight from the maglite solitaire all the way up to the 6D and the magcharger. I noticed a slightly higher output from the mag-num star bulbs but that's what I expected. Then, a few days later, I checked the sight again to look up the output ratings for my friend's 3D maglite and I noticed the numbers being distinctly different. These numbers may not be exact but I remember some of the output ratings from the old site.

Old numbers--------------
2D-18 lumens
3D-39 lumens
6D-114 lumens
Magcharger-175 lumens
Mag solitaire-.5 lumens

New numbers-------------
2D-40 lumens
3D-82 lumens
6D-233 lumens
Magcharger-218 lumens
Mag solitaire-2.3 lumens
------------------------------
What's goin' on here??

Thanks

scott

may be they have just upgraded themselves with a new "Light" meter ... or have aquired a "new" integrating sphere... which reads "more" accurately ;)

ok..kidding apart... but LumiLED's are also doing same ... so what if the current ratings have increased :D

m@g has "learnt" that it's "lumens" is what is a "selling" factor these Days :ohgeez:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I have to say, the new Xenon bulbs they have are a bit brighter than the standard Krypton ones, but there's no way the lumens has doubled even with those. The new Maglite Xenon bulbs are about as bright as the Dorcy.

The Maglite bulbs do look a little better quality, but they're one for $1.99 as opposed to 2 for $2.99 for the Dorcy's.

I have been using the Maglite Xenons for that little extra bit of durability and the whole Made in the USA thing, but the Dorcy's are in my backup lights and in the tailcaps of my Mags.

Latest posts